Archived Topic

If you were head coach?

by Cougarpoke · 9/24/2012

Advertisement
C
Cougarpoke
I was lying in my bed last night thinking, "If I were head coach at BYU, I would..." and these were my thoughts:



1. I would play Hill regardless of Nelson for the Hawaii game. It is a very winnable game with a bad defense. Give the young and future starter some experience. Let Nelson rest, heal, and get his groove back. Then after the game, see where the QB position stands.



2. Let J. Williams and Hine get more carries. Alisa isn't the back we thought.



3. Fire Weber. Doing it now might pose a problem for getting another coach to fill in...but the guy has to go.



4. If we get up big in the first half, then run the score up!! I am not saying this to be a jerk, but our team needs some confidence and motivation. Why not give it to them.



5. Encourage Doman - The guy is stuck, i doubt he is going anywhere, tell him it is his time to figure it out.



So, what would you do this week if you were the HC?
S
SpiffCoug
I would look at where my teams is struggling most and focus my attention there.



As the head coach, you are responsible for the entire team. You have to be able to bring emphasis to certains sides of the ball or position groups if they are really struggling.
1
1967cougar
I would resign and turn the reigns over to someone much more capable than I. Then I would sit around and create posts saying how crappy he is and that anyone could do a better job than he.
G
Guest
1967cougar wrote:
I would resign and turn the reigns over to someone much more capable than I. Then I would sit around and create posts saying how crappy he is and that anyone could do a better job than he.

:lol:

At least collect the paycheck for a few years!
B
Brayden Green
1967cougar wrote:
I would resign and turn the reigns over to someone much more capable than I. Then I would sit around and create posts saying how crappy he is and that anyone could do a better job than he.


Lavelle? Is that you?
Advertisement
1
1967cougar
BlueIsBetter wrote:
I would resign and turn the reigns over to someone much more capable than I. Then I would sit around and create posts saying how crappy he is and that anyone could do a better job than he.


Lavelle? Is that you?

Nah. This is Gary.
B
Brayden Green
1967cougar wrote:
1967cougar wrote:
I would resign and turn the reigns over to someone much more capable than I. Then I would sit around and create posts saying how crappy he is and that anyone could do a better job than he.


Lavelle? Is that you?

Nah. This is Gary.


Hey, are you open to coach a few offensive games for us coming up?



THere would be a free ticket and a cougar tail in it for you!
G
Guest
BlueIsBetter wrote:
BlueIsBetter wrote:
I would resign and turn the reigns over to someone much more capable than I. Then I would sit around and create posts saying how crappy he is and that anyone could do a better job than he.


Lavelle? Is that you?

Nah. This is Gary.


Hey, are you open to coach a few offensive games for us coming up?



THere would be a free ticket and a cougar tail in it for you!


The only offensive coach to coach BYU to a shutout loss in the last 35+ years? That's exactly what we need...
1
1967cougar
BlueIsBetter wrote:
BlueIsBetter wrote:
I would resign and turn the reigns over to someone much more capable than I. Then I would sit around and create posts saying how crappy he is and that anyone could do a better job than he.


Lavelle? Is that you?

Nah. This is Gary.


Hey, are you open to coach a few offensive games for us coming up?



THere would be a free ticket and a cougar tail in it for you!

I would accept the free ticket. But I am a married and a moral man so not interested in any cougar tail.
M
Mingjai
1967cougar wrote:
1967cougar wrote:
1967cougar wrote:
I would resign and turn the reigns over to someone much more capable than I. Then I would sit around and create posts saying how crappy he is and that anyone could do a better job than he.


Lavelle? Is that you?

Nah. This is Gary.


Hey, are you open to coach a few offensive games for us coming up?



THere would be a free ticket and a cougar tail in it for you!

I would accept the free ticket. But I am a married and a moral man so not interested in any cougar tail.


Good thing I wasn't drinking anything when I read this--it would have been all over my laptop.
Advertisement
S
sandiegoblue
I have read several posts on CC that suggest firing Weber. This idea is likely coming up because Bronco fired Jaime Hill mid season a couple years ago. The big difference is that Bronco was able to pick up the slack because he knew how to coach the defense. Who is going to coach the OL if we fire Weber? Lance Reynolds?



Wouldn't it be better to go deal with finding a replacement after the season?
R
rblack
sandiegoblue wrote:
I have read several posts on CC that suggest firing Weber. This idea is likely coming up because Bronco fired Jaime Hill mid season a couple years ago. The big difference is that Bronco was able to pick up the slack because he knew how to coach the defense. Who is going to coach the OL if we fire Weber? Lance Reynolds?



Wouldn't it be better to go deal with finding a replacement after the season?

Lance Reynolds is certainly capable of coaching the OLine. My theory is that he has been avoiding getting involved in the Oline so as to avoid any claims of favoritism due to his sons' playing. I still don't understand why he isn't the current offensive coordinator. Maybe its the same reason.
M
mizzoucoug
sandiegoblue wrote:
Who is going to coach the OL if we fire Weber?


A slimy chunk of ham perhaps? At least they would fight for something for once.
S
scott715
Houston is out so Reynolds could take the line. I think he knows how to coach it. Louis Wong has baggage but he could do it now I think
C
Cougarbib
BlueIsBetter wrote:
I would resign and turn the reigns over to someone much more capable than I. Then I would sit around and create posts saying how crappy he is and that anyone could do a better job than he.


Lavelle? Is that you?


Blue. It is Lavell. The Stadium is named after him.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
Advertisement
C
Cougarbib
sandiegoblue wrote:
I have read several posts on CC that suggest firing Weber. This idea is likely coming up because Bronco fired Jaime Hill mid season a couple years ago. The big difference is that Bronco was able to pick up the slack because he knew how to coach the defense. Who is going to coach the OL if we fire Weber? Lance Reynolds?



Wouldn't it be better to go deal with finding a replacement after the season?


BUILDING ON THIS. Bronco admits knowing little about offense. Forced out his last OC. Hand picked Doman. Doman is unproven at best. Doman has no experience coaching OL. Doman has two brand spanking new coaches. Cahoon seems solid but is WR only. Dupaix is as suspect as our running game has been. The Veterans. Weber and Reynolds.



You would need to lean really hard on the gut who is just starting to get tight end production to pull the plug on Weber now.



Ironically, if Anae were still OC - you could pull the plug on Weber right now. But he is not.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
S
scott715
Anae would have been a good fit at OL coach. Would he come back next year?
C
Cougarpoke
I would say probably not given the circumstances as to how he was shown the door.
C
Cougs_Rule
I would inject bronco's intensity and discipline for half the practice and get InPeople's faces. The. Get back w D.

I would also trust my OC to pick Hill over Nelson



Finally, I would fire Weber and Bring in Coach Wong interim for the rest of the year as a try on.



I WOULD NOT BRING IN REYNOLDS AS OC OR OLINE. he's a good man. But tired.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
S
SpiffCoug
I agree with the first two sentences. I hope the OC would also agree if Riley is injured.



I'm leaning towards agreement with the first part of the next sentence. But given Coach Wong's trouble with a school's money, I'm not sure he it caliber of a BYU coach.



I'm also in partial agreement with the last sentence. I remember watching a Lance Reynolds led offense in 1999 and 2000 when he had poor play from the QB position. It wasn't pretty then either.
Page 1 of 2
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.