Archived Topic

A Losing Season

by northerncougar · 9/24/2012

Advertisement
N
northerncougar
Is on its way, boys and girls, if things don't change very quickly. USU is the game of the year for us. They have a very good D and and good O, but not great. If we can't beat USU at home next Friday, we will have a losing season.



I don't believe this team has the ability to make the changes on offense needed to right the ship.
C
Cougs_Rule
northerncougar wrote:
Is on its way, boys and girls, if things don't change very quickly. USU is the game of the year for us. They have a very good D and and good O, but not great. If we can't beat USU at home next Friday, we will have a losing season.



I don't believe this team has the ability to make the changes on offense needed to right the ship.


Seems like you are somewhere between realistic and pessimistic.

I get your reality check--I'm not sure most realistics (which to be clear excludes the blind optimists and the optimists in denial) can look at the data over four games (2 wins vs patsies--2 losses that could have easily been wins) and coaching decisions (QB AND OLINE) and project a winning season.



And yet, you have to believe that Bronco will also find a way--as he has in the past--to find a winning combination. Although his stubborn defense of Riley might be this season's undoing and Bronco's as well.
I
Isola
I think that is a bit of an overreaction to losing two tough road games in heartbreaking fashion.



Keep a little perspective...Both Utah and Boise State have been ranked this year. Both are tough places to play. Both really, really wanted to beat us and got up for the game. Both games were about as bad as it can get offensively, and yet in both games we were a kick away from overtime.



There are four games left on the schedule that you can notch up as wins, and with a defense as stout as ours you are pretty much in any game. All we needed is for our offense to not give up points are we are 4-0.
N
northerncougar
dmcougar wrote:
Is on its way, boys and girls, if things don't change very quickly. USU is the game of the year for us. They have a very good D and and good O, but not great. If we can't beat USU at home next Friday, we will have a losing season.



I don't believe this team has the ability to make the changes on offense needed to right the ship.


Seems like you are somewhere between realistic and pessimistic.

I get your reality check--I'm not sure most realistics (which to be clear excludes the blind optimists and the optimists in denial) can look at the data over four games (2 wins vs patsies--2 losses that could have easily been wins) and coaching decisions (QB AND OLINE) and project a winning season.



And yet, you have to believe that Bronco will also find a way--as he has in the past--to find a winning combination. Although his stubborn defense of Riley might be this season's undoing and Bronco's as well.


Correct. I just call it like I see it and if we lose to USU it's because we haven't fixed the offensive issues. As crazy as it might sound, losing to SJSU at that point will be likely.



Our problem isn't that we have played good teams at tough places to play, we have played three terrible teams and one decent team. I'm still not convinced that BSU is any good.
C
Cougs_Rule
But you are right. Unless big changes happen to BYUs offense, USU and SJSU and even OSU are not gimmees.
Advertisement
S
SpiffCoug
If USU is the game of the year, we'll be ok. Their offense isn't very good. It's certainly nothing we won't be able to contain.
L
Lawboy
Utah sucks, but we lost to them at RES. And Wisconsin sucks as well this year, team that Oregon State beat and USU nearly did.



It really is hard to judge our opponents right now. But unless our offense gets some teeth, we are in big trouble. We have looked shaky and sucky for 3 years now. We lack an indetity.
N
northerncougar
SpiffCoug wrote:
If USU is the game of the year, we'll be ok. Their offense isn't very good. It's certainly nothing we won't be able to contain.


Agree. USU's O is okay, not great. But can our O improve enough to win? I don't know. Before the season started, I assumed wins over USU and OSU. Now I'm not so sure. If we can't beat USU, we won't beat OSU either.



That game determines the rest of the season.
K
KingCoug
A losing season? Good grief, people.



Bronco's never had a losing season, even in 2010.



We have 2 wins. Idaho, San Jose State, and New Mexico State are wins. That's 5.



And you don't think we'll win at least one of the games against Hawaii, Oregon State, or Utah State? Consider they're all in Provo. That's all it would take to be .500.



And I'm predicting we win all 3 games. ;)
S
SpiffCoug
A losing season? That's loser talk.
Advertisement
A
ABYUFAN
KingCoug wrote:
A losing season? Good grief, people.



Bronco's never had a losing season, even in 2010.



We have 2 wins. Idaho, San Jose State, and New Mexico State are wins. That's 5.



And you don't think we'll win at least one of the games against Hawaii, Oregon State, or Utah State? Consider they're all in Provo. That's all it would take to be .500.



And I'm predicting we win all 3 games. ;)

FWIW I'm thinking that SJSU is equal to Utah State, I've been watching them this year and if Utah State gives us roubles, so will SJSU



Call me blue-goggled though I'm still a member of the church of the 10-2 season...
C
Cougarfan87
I don't get the losing season talk. We will at least have 7 wins. I predict 8 or 9 after the bowl game--if our offense doesn't really improve but gets better at holding onto the football. Our defense will see to those wins.
N
northerncougar
KingCoug wrote:
A losing season? Good grief, people.



Bronco's never had a losing season, even in 2010.



We have 2 wins. Idaho, San Jose State, and New Mexico State are wins. That's 5.



And you don't think we'll win at least one of the games against Hawaii, Oregon State, or Utah State? Consider they're all in Provo. That's all it would take to be .500.



And I'm predicting we win all 3 games. ;)


Hawaii - Win

USU and OSU. Flip a coin. Both are much better than I thought they would be. Our D will hold well, but our O is a disaster. We could win both if our O figures out some things.

ND and GT - Loss.

NMST and Idaho - Win



SJSU is better than people are giving them credit for.



If we don't beat USU we will lose to OSU also. SJSU will be a much tougher game than people think. A losing season isn't as far away as some want to believe.



If our offense gets fixed, things will look very different in a few weeks.
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.