Archived Topic

Taysom Hill?

by crh55 · 9/23/2012

Advertisement
C
crh55
There is so much myth and speculation around Hill's athleticism & abilities. I've heard some say he's the fastest guy on the team??? Others say he's a freak on the BB court. Some say he has a cannon, others say he can't throw the deep ball. Not sure what to believe.



What i really want to know is, on a scale of 1 - 10 (1 being Riley & 10 being Heaps) what is his arm strength???
S
stuckinbig10country
His arm strength is between a 7 and an 8 on your scale. His arm could actually be stronger than Heaps when he improves his technique. Heaps got his arm strength more from technique than anything.
B
byucougar1
Arm strength is only part of the equation for a successful QB. Must have accuracy, ability to improvise when the play breaks down, not lock in one one receiver but look at secondary/tertiary options and be a courageous leader - one that inspires confidence of teammates. If Hill has all of this, then he will succeed.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
S
SpiffCoug
He's being set up for failure and/or injury.
C
Cougs_Rule
SpiffCoug wrote:
He's being set up for failure and/or injury.


As much as i want Hill, I have to probably agree with this. And as such, let Lark take the heat. This Oline sucks air. And the OC and scheme seems only slightly better.
Advertisement
C
crh55
Why is it so so bad to get meaningful reps as a freshman? Didn't Chuckie Keeton start his Freshman year? Didn't "Magic Happen" Max Hall's first year of eligibility? Didn't Ponder, Newton, Dalton all have successful rookie seasons last year?



I don't understand the concept of ruining a QB if he starts as a rookie or freshman.



The point of the thread was to see what Hill's upside is. At the biggining of the season, most of us saluted Riley as the starter cause of his leadership and playmaking ability, but we all knew his lack of arm strength put a pretty low ceiling on his ability to be a great passer.
S
scott715
I am okay with letting Lark start and then briging Hill in around the second quarter.
F
frdbtr
I heard Bronco say he was the fastest player on the team. As far as setting him up for failure, I think he is the only QB on our roster right now that has a shot at succeeding unless they get the oline fixed. We are going to need an athletic freak to be able to avoid the rush and make plays with either his arm or legs in order to be successful.
H
HoosierCougar
SpiffCoug wrote:
He's being set up for failure and/or injury.


Although it's statistically unlikely that his first series against Hawai'i won't start inside his own 1. So there's that.
S
SpiffCoug
crh55 wrote:
Why is it so so bad to get meaningful reps as a freshman? Didn't Chuckie Keeton start his Freshman year? Didn't "Magic Happen" Max Hall's first year of eligibility? Didn't Ponder, Newton, Dalton all have successful rookie seasons last year?



I don't understand the concept of ruining a QB if he starts as a rookie or freshman.



The point of the thread was to see what Hill's upside is. At the biggining of the season, most of us saluted Riley as the starter cause of his leadership and playmaking ability, but we all knew his lack of arm strength put a pretty low ceiling on his ability to be a great passer.

Max Hall spent a season RSing learning the entire play book. Hill knows a package of plays that we hope can be expanded into an entire game plan.
Advertisement
B
BYULV
How long does it take to learn plays? He has been with the team for what, 6 months? A guy smart enough to go to Stanford should be able to learn more than a handful of plays in several months. I know he doesn't have the repetitions in practice, but he should have an ok understanding of the offense by now. He should have a core set of plays that he knows really well and the rest he is familiar with. I'm sure it will take time to gel, but I'm excited to see how quickly he can progress. If he is given the reigns from here on out, I would expect noticeable improvement from week to week.



I'm also not one to believe we are going to ruin a guy by starting him too early. It sounds like these guys are all made out of glass or something. These are guys that have been highly competitive their entire lives. I would expect most athletes at this level to fight through stuggles related to playing too early. They've all got egos that got them where they are or they wouldn't be where they are. I don't think their psyches are as fragile as we keep stating.
C
Cougarbib
frdbtr wrote:
I heard Bronco say he was the fastest player on the team. As far as setting him up for failure, I think he is the only QB on our roster right now that has a shot at succeeding unless they get the oline fixed. We are going to need an athletic freak to be able to avoid the rush and make plays with either his arm or legs in order to be successful.


On the field of play - he looks faster than any BYU player I recall seeing - ever - maybe even Staley. Maybe as fast as a white man can go.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
C
Cougarbib
HoosierCougar wrote:
He's being set up for failure and/or injury.


Although it's statistically unlikely that his first series against Hawai'i *WILL* start inside his own 1. So there's that.


This probably says the opposite of what you meant due to double negatory



Fixed it for you



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
C
Cougarbib
BYULV wrote:
How long does it take to learn plays? He has been with the team for what, 6 months? A guy smart enough to go to Stanford should be able to learn more than a handful of plays in several months. I know he doesn't have the repetitions in practice, but he should have an ok understanding of the offense by now. He should have a core set of plays that he knows really well and the rest he is familiar with. I'm sure it will take time to gel, but I'm excited to see how quickly he can progress. If he is given the reigns from here on out, I would expect noticeable improvement from week to week.



I'm also not one to believe we are going to ruin a guy by starting him too early. It sounds like these guys are all made out of glass or something. These are guys that have been highly competitive their entire lives. I would expect most athletes at this level to fight through stuggles related to playing too early. They've all got egos that got them where they are or they wouldn't be where they are. I don't think their psyches are as fragile as we keep stating.


It has a better chance of not destroying self confidence when some degree of success comes. 1 yard line at BSU was quite a tough spot. Then the fumble. Luckily not Hill's fault. I think the meaningful reps he had gotten in previous games were invaluable.



If BYU had a real FB, a real RB, a consistent TE, a real Center, an experienced and talented OL, that would take a load off an inexperienced QB.



I am sure he is smart and knows the plays - but experience doing it at game speed with guys in your face and deafening crowd - takes a bit of growing into it.



Hill is going to get pounded due to poor blocking. Hopefully he does not panic.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
T
tjerbear
Hill can boom a 50-60 yard punt and has the leg to kick a 50 yard field goal. I think he is a blue collar type of player with exceptional strength and speed. Yes he can really throw down the dunk. If anyone doubts that they were not watching his runs. No one knows how good anyone is going to be until they get the chance to prove it. I think all great quarterbacks will demonstrate it very early given the chance to start and Taysom has the tools.
Advertisement
T
tjerbear
The remarks have been very insightfull. I would have felt terrible if he did not get a chance to play early this year. I doubt BYU has ever had a kid with his raw athleticism at the quarterback position. Steve Young was not a gunslinger in high school or highly recruited. With BYU's lackluster offensive line he will likely stumble occasionly but could still be sensational.
G
Guest
tjerbear wrote:
The remarks have been very insightfull. I would have felt terrible if he did not get a chance to play early this year. I doubt BYU has ever had a kid with his raw athleticism at the quarterback position. Steve Young was not a gunslinger in high school or highly recruited. With BYU's lackluster offensive line he will likely stumble occasionly but could still be sensational.

Are you related to Hill?
B
BYULV
hawkwing wrote:
The remarks have been very insightfull. I would have felt terrible if he did not get a chance to play early this year. I doubt BYU has ever had a kid with his raw athleticism at the quarterback position. Steve Young was not a gunslinger in high school or highly recruited. With BYU's lackluster offensive line he will likely stumble occasionly but could still be sensational.

Are you related to Hill?


Hint: the "t" stands for Taysom. You have to guess what the "jerbear" part means ;)
G
Gunk
SpiffCoug wrote:
He's being set up for failure and/or injury.


Injury. No OL to protect him and a reckless abandonment akin to Riley.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
M
Mingjai
Cougarbib wrote:
I heard Bronco say he was the fastest player on the team. As far as setting him up for failure, I think he is the only QB on our roster right now that has a shot at succeeding unless they get the oline fixed. We are going to need an athletic freak to be able to avoid the rush and make plays with either his arm or legs in order to be successful.


On the field of play - he looks faster than any BYU player I recall seeing - ever - maybe even Staley. Maybe as fast as a white man can go.


Both Ronney Jenkins and James Dye seemed faster, but Hill is pretty darned fast.
Page 1 of 2
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.