Archived Topic

punt returns.

by BroncoBot · 9/23/2012

Advertisement
B
BroncoBot
Long question for stats gurus our there.



I just noticed that Falslev is 14th in the nation in punt returns. When he decides to let the ball drop at the 15 and roll to the 1, I assume that that is not hurting his average. Does fair catching count as a return of 0? Could Falslev possibly not be fielding fair catches to bump his average???



Sinister thought, but I've never understood why falslev lets so many punts go instead of fair catching them inside the 20.
D
dank80
I don't think a fair catch counts as a return. It's not impacting his average. But maybe I'm wrong.



On the punts he's letting bounce I think JD is just making a judgement call on whether or not he thinks he can get to it and field it cleanly.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
S
SpiffCoug
Fair catches don't count as a return, but JD cost us several times in 15-20 yards of field position because of a decision not to field some punts.
C
Cougarbib
BroncoBot wrote:
Long question for stats gurus our there.



I just noticed that Falslev is 14th in the nation in punt returns. When he decides to let the ball drop at the 15 and roll to the 1, I assume that that is not hurting his average. Does fair catching count as a return of 0? Could Falslev possibly not be fielding fair catches to bump his average???



Sinister thought, but I've never understood why falslev lets so many punts go instead of fair catching them inside the 20.


These sinister thought posts about the character of our players get really old. Especially re the boys from Logan.



BTW - I do not even know anyone that knows Falslev or Nelson other than knowing some players - current and former. I have no dog in the hunt.



This just wears on me when fans bag on current players or coaches - especially re their character.



Falslev wants to win as bad as anyone on that team and does not give one moment of thought to his averages when the ball comes his way.



In the past - if anything he has caught punts in traffic and tried to return them that made me wonder if he had ever heard of a fair catch.



A fair catch does not count as a return iirc. Non factor re a decision other than maybe returning balls in traffic so that they do count.



BSU got some really good rolls on punts - style of their punter allows kicking away from the returner. I certainly found myself wishing he had been able to get to a couple of those - but sure did not want to see a FUMBLE from over-reaching.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
S
scott715
Being at the game, I have no problem with his decisions. The punter kept it away and got good bounces. Maybe he could be more agressive in moving up or anticipate where the punt will go to.
Advertisement
G
Guest
Falslev's biggest problem returning punts has been not being deep enough. He has had to run backwards 20 yards or more sometimes and then isn't in good position to field the punt.
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.