Archived Topic

Bronco on Offense?

by BYULV · 9/22/2012

Advertisement
B
BYULV
To preface: I am a Bronco backer and I have not had a passing thought that he should be replaced (so looking for discussion, no Bronco bashing), but I do have a question about him as a head coach. . .



I have heard him say on multiple occasions that he doesn't know offense. When he has mentioned it he comes across as if it is a totally foreign concept to him. He has been coaching for more than a decade and head coach closing in on a decade. Shouldn't he have picked up an expertise on Offense as well as defense, especially being head coach? As a Defensive coach, doesn't that give you a unique insight into the offense that would help you know how to attack a particular defense from an offensive perspective? Most active fans seem to understand how football works offensively and likely know more than Bronco "Admits" to knowing offensively.



Is Bronco truely clueless offensively or just being demure? How active do you think he is in the offense? Do you think he should be more active? I would like to see him take a more active role in the offense. I think he could delegate enough to the defensive coaches without giving up full control to enable him to work with the offense to put his signature on them as well. I also think he should be an expert in offense as well as defense at this point in his career. Are these unrealistic expectations?



Go Bronco! and Go Cougars!
M
mizzoucoug
He changed the defense overnight. Why can't he do the same to the offense? Not enough hours in the day? Come on, he's delegating way too much here.
B
BYULV
As head coach I expect him to have his fingerprints all over the offense as well as the defense. Is he more involved than he lets on? It doesn't seem like it.
C
creative45
Of course Bronco knows offense. There is no way that he could be as successful as he is on defense if he didn't know what the offense was trying to do. What he probably can't do is coach the techniques but that is why he has offensive coaches.



As a head coach his responsibility is to hire the coaches that can best achieve his vision and communicate what he wants in an offense. Does he want to run and feature a stud running back, does he want to pass like crazy, does he want 50% run, 50% pass. After he decides what he wants then he communicates that to his offensive coaches and their job is to give Bronco what he has asked for.



So, how well do you think this is happening?
Q
Qman
I think Bronco is failing in providing an overall team vision for offense and defense. Also I wonder about our ability to recruit defensive stars instead of offensive linemen.
Advertisement
B
byutx
I don't think Bronco is smart enough to be a HC and DC at the same time. He may not be smart enough to handle HC duties even if he were to give up being DC.
S
stuckinbig10country
I think we may be missing the point here...this might be the kind of offense he wants (style, not results). He wants an efficient offense that tries to hold on to the ball for long periods of time. He sts the goal for offense at 24 points a game...that doesn't sounds high octane to me.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.