Archived Topic

Wow, thoughts

by Schmoe · 9/22/2012

Advertisement
S
Schmoe
So, I'm gonna stay away for a little bit, because the negativity just kills me. But I thought I'd get these impressions off my chest first.



1. We are a good team...because of our defense. If our O-line can improve, we will be able to move the ball and will still turn heads and make noise nationally this year.



2. Riley Nelson playing hurt hurts the team. I know he's a fiery leader, but he can use that leadership from the sideline while not throwing four picks. He can play much better than he did last night, but he needs to be 100% healthy, no pain meds/glassy eyes.



3. Those who wanted a more emotional Bronco got it last night, and it bit us in the butt. I was happy to see the passion come out from him on defensive goal-line stands, but he made one emotional decision that cost us the game. I'm not saying that we don't need more fire from him, but it's easy to let the pendulum swing too far because emotion is like drinking: the more you've had, the cloudier your judgment becomes.



4. Taysom Hill is the future of BYU football. Let's be honest, he's like Riley 2.0 (or 4.0). He throws, he runs, he shows grit and fire, and he's better than Heaps ;)



5. I'm too lazy to look up who the special teams coach is, but they're doing a fantastic job of fixing problems and righting that ship quick.



6. Our defense is very stout, but they may need to take a few more risks because of the offense we have. We'll need some turnovers to get shorter fields, and that means creating a little more havoc (think Ravens' D instead of Niners' D). Also, our blitz packages need to improve, we often aren't getting pressure even when we bring the house.



7. Doman is better than we're giving him credit for. He's been limited with a hurt Riley and a bad to terrible O-line. We had open receivers quite a bit last night (including the conversion attempt), but throws were off and time wasn't given. Doman's still got a lot of learning to do, but he's not as bad as the torch and pitchfork group is making him out to be.



8. I'm too emotionally tied to this team and this game. I almost threw my remote through my flatscreen last night and the mood lingered all day today and will for quite some time. I'm gonna step back and focus on my other hobbies (smoking meat, writing, fantasy football, good books) and just let things mellow for a little.
F
frdbtr
Awesome post! Best I have read since the BSU loss. (or utah for that matter)
S
SpiffCoug
Like with the offense last year, if you have an inaccurate QB, any offense is going to struggle. If your QB is inaccurate, he likely also going to be ineffective. Riley was sub .500 the last two games.



There have been plays to make, the QB just hasn't done it.
B
BoiseBYU
Schmoe, come back and soon.
S
stuckinbig10country
Schmoe wrote:
7. Doman is better than we're giving him credit for. He's been limited with Riley and a bad to terrible O-line. We had open receivers quite a bit last night (including the conversion attempt), but throws were off and time wasn't given. Doman's still got a lot of learning to do, but he's not as bad as the torch and pitchfork group is making him out to be.


There, fixed it for you. Half the playbook goes away with Riley as a QB because he doesn't have the arm to throw an out against a good team, even when healthy.
Advertisement
C
Cougarbib
stuckinbig10country wrote:
7. Doman is better than we're giving him credit for. He's been limited with Riley and a bad to terrible O-line. We had open receivers quite a bit last night (including the conversion attempt), but throws were off and time wasn't given. Doman's still got a lot of learning to do, but he's not as bad as the torch and pitchfork group is making him out to be.


There, fixed it for you. Half the playbook goes away with Riley as a QB because he doesn't have the arm to throw an out against a good team, even when healthy.


Sure. Must be true - because you said so.



Riley has made the throws when healthy and getting a modicum of protection.



Hill - most likely - eventually - will do all of the physical things better than Riley. And if he learns some leadership things from Riley - Hill will make even the most [edited by admin] forget You Know Who - and Hill is here because You Know Who QUIT. Hill played vs BSU because You Know Who is with Dorothy - and Toto looking for The Wizzard.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
B
byucougar1
Still also looking for cccccccccourage!



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
R
rblack
Schmoe wrote:
So, I'm gonna stay away for a little bit, because the negativity just kills me. But I thought I'd get these impressions off my chest first.



1. We are a good team...because of our defense. If our O-line can improve, we will be able to move the ball and will still turn heads and make noise nationally this year.



2. Riley Nelson playing hurt hurts the team. I know he's a fiery leader, but he can use that leadership from the sideline while not throwing four picks. He can play much better than he did last night, but he needs to be 100% healthy, no pain meds/glassy eyes.



3. Those who wanted a more emotional Bronco got it last night, and it bit us in the butt. I was happy to see the passion come out from him on defensive goal-line stands, but he made one emotional decision that cost us the game. I'm not saying that we don't need more fire from him, but it's easy to let the pendulum swing too far because emotion is like drinking: the more you've had, the cloudier your judgment becomes.



4. Taysom Hill is the future of BYU football. Let's be honest, he's like Riley 2.0 (or 4.0). He throws, he runs, he shows grit and fire, and he's better than Heaps ;)



5. I'm too lazy to look up who the special teams coach is, but they're doing a fantastic job of fixing problems and righting that ship quick.



6. Our defense is very stout, but they may need to take a few more risks because of the offense we have. We'll need some turnovers to get shorter fields, and that means creating a little more havoc (think Ravens' D instead of Niners' D). Also, our blitz packages need to improve, we often aren't getting pressure even when we bring the house.



7. Doman is better than we're giving him credit for. He's been limited with a hurt Riley and a bad to terrible O-line. We had open receivers quite a bit last night (including the conversion attempt), but throws were off and time wasn't given. Doman's still got a lot of learning to do, but he's not as bad as the torch and pitchfork group is making him out to be.



8. I'm too emotionally tied to this team and this game. I almost threw my remote through my flatscreen last night and the mood lingered all day today and will for quite some time. I'm gonna step back and focus on my other hobbies (smoking meat, writing, fantasy football, good books) and just let things mellow for a little.

I agree with 95% of this and the 5% is close enough.
I
Isola
I feel this way too, except for throwing the remote. I've taken on more on the Red Sox fan attitude prior to their recent world series wins. Even when we are good we seem to be cursed to have something go wrong.



I haven't been getting mad, just shaking my head and smiling. I laughed when the FG hit the upright. It fit with my cursed mentality.



In the last two games we've tried to mount come backs in games we already gave away. When you are -5 in turnover margin you don't deserve even a shot to win.



We just aren't there yet, but I believe we will get there soon.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
C
Cougs_Rule
Cougarbib wrote:
Schmoe wrote:
7. Doman is better than we're giving him credit for. He's been limited with Riley and a bad to terrible O-line. We had open receivers quite a bit last night (including the conversion attempt), but throws were off and time wasn't given. Doman's still got a lot of learning to do, but he's not as bad as the torch and pitchfork group is making him out to be.


There, fixed it for you. Half the playbook goes away with Riley as a QB because he doesn't have the arm to throw an out against a good team, even when healthy.


Sure. Must be true - because you said so.



Riley has made the throws when healthy and getting a modicum of protection.



Hill - most likely - eventually - will do all of the physical things better than Riley. And if he learns some leadership things from Riley - Hill will make even the most blinded fools forget You Know Who - and Hill is here because You Know Who QUIT. Hill played vs BSU because You Know Who is with Dorothy - and Toto looking for The Wizzard.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


Um, I think I'd vote for a "no thanks" on Hill attending Riley's leadership class!! I'm pretty certain Hill has his own style AND it's probably more effective.
Advertisement
M
mizzoucoug
Bronco doesn't have it in him to really "bring the house." I've never seen him send more than 5 on a blitz. He doesn't seem to trust the secondary. Hey, if you want picks and fumbles then you have to adopt the attitude that "they have our ball and we need to take it from them!" I would love to see 7 rushers get in there more often and get hands up on the throws.
T
tjerbear
RN is actually pretty slow. How to you miss that open reciever Hoffman by throwing ten yards short of the endzone? The physical lyabilities including height on the pick six were just to evident thursday night. Lets move forward with Hill and a passing attack.
C
Cougarbib
tjerbear wrote:
RN is actually pretty slow. How to you miss that open reciever Hoffman by throwing ten yards short of the endzone? The physical lyabilities including height on the pick six were just to evident thursday night. Lets move forward with Hill and a passing attack.

Ironic that Hill also missed an open Hoffman on the failed conversion and did not see a wide open Friel and the announcers started talking about wide open receivers not seen and 1 on 1 opportunities not attacked right after he came in and under threw two in a row and had a near interception.



Not bagging on Hill. Nelson clearly cannot lead the team right now. Hill or Lark will need to grow up fast.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
C
Cougarbib
dmcougar wrote:
stuckinbig10country wrote:
7. Doman is better than we're giving him credit for. He's been limited with Riley and a bad to terrible O-line. We had open receivers quite a bit last night (including the conversion attempt), but throws were off and time wasn't given. Doman's still got a lot of learning to do, but he's not as bad as the torch and pitchfork group is making him out to be.


There, fixed it for you. Half the playbook goes away with Riley as a QB because he doesn't have the arm to throw an out against a good team, even when healthy.


Sure. Must be true - because you said so.



Riley has made the throws when healthy and getting a modicum of protection.



Hill - most likely - eventually - will do all of the physical things better than Riley. And if he learns some leadership things from Riley - Hill will make even the most blinded fools forget You Know Who - and Hill is here because You Know Who QUIT. Hill played vs BSU because You Know Who is with Dorothy - and Toto looking for The Wizzard.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


Um, I think I'd vote for a "no thanks" on Hill attending Riley's leadership class!! I'm pretty certain Hill has his own style AND it's probably more effective.




You have acknowledged that you have some grudge against Riley that goes way back. Maybe you ought to spell that out - and thus be a little more honest about your objectivity or lack thereof.



Compare and contrast:



Under a struggling Heaps - at HOME - the defense, if not the entire team quit and BYU got the worst butt whippin at the hand of U that fans can remember - and can't forget.



Fast forward - Riley Nelson looking every almost as bad as Heaps Vs U and way worse at BSU - and on the road to boot - and OL worse than 2011 - and Nelson pilled and cheering on Hill - abd absolutely nobody quit. Nobody. And you cannot see anything of value Hill might learn.



Blind Spot.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
F
frdbtr
tjerbear wrote:
RN is actually pretty slow. How to you miss that open reciever Hoffman by throwing ten yards short of the endzone? The physical lyabilities including height on the pick six were just to evident thursday night. Lets move forward with Hill and a passing attack.


He's injured dude. Back injuries rob your limbs of their strength. That is why I am so disapointed that the coaches didn't bench him.
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.