Archived Topic

Big East.

by bcsbuster · 9/19/2012

Advertisement
B
bcsbuster
Just read an article about the tv negotiations with the big east and going after BYU or air force or both and army to make 16 teams. I would absouloutly love to see BYU join the Big East. The conference would be fun and it would give BYU something to play for after a loss. The excitement of playing Boise every thanksgiving weekend would be great and a possible conference championship game each year as well as different bowls based on performance. I would also like to watch and cheer for other teams in the conference against different opponents, and watch other games on sat in the big east conference that mean something to BYU for standings purposes. Bottom line is I would love the Big East conference. It would make the season much better and more entertaining to watch. And the wuld have some good conference games.(cinch, lville,routers,south Florida,Boise,Houston,SDSU). Independence sucks and so does playing on weekdays and sat night when everyone is going to bed!!!
P
Phatgreen
Not sure how I feel about it. I think Pac 12 would be the best fit (pipe dream), followed by Big 12 (probably another pipe dream). Scheduling would definitely be the best advantage, but I think we lose exposure and possibly jump onto a sinking ship. If Big East will let BYU keep their tv rights I think BYU will do it, but that's a really big 'if'.
G
Guest
Not sold on the Big Least conference.



It could be dooable, but it would have to be a minimum of no Sunday play, $15 million a year, tier 3 tv rights, and a basketball scheduling agreement.
P
Phatgreen
hawkwing wrote:
Not sold on the Big Least conference.



It could be dooable, but it would have to be a minimum of no Sunday play, $15 million a year, tier 3 tv rights, and a basketball scheduling agreement.


I don't see them getting an invite for hoops.
F
frdbtr
I don't like the big east, never have. I would rather be independant than go to the big east. IMO, I wouldn't join any conference but the Big 12.
Advertisement
I
IowaCougar
All of the speculative articles seem to think that BYU will need to give on one of the sticking points - Sunday Play, TV Rights, etc. The rest of the world just doesn't seem to understand that no amount of money is going to make BYU give up on these points.
Y
YNot
Phatgreen wrote:
Not sold on the Big Least conference.



It could be dooable, but it would have to be a minimum of no Sunday play, $15 million a year, tier 3 tv rights, and a basketball scheduling agreement.


I don't see them getting an invite for hoops.


But perhaps BYU could get 5 or 6 regular season games (including 2 or 3 home games) against the likes of Louisville, Memphis, UConn, Georgetown, Marquette, Seton Hall, St. John's, Villanova, etc. That would be a cool side benefit.



If the Big East could get a spot in the Orange or Fiesta Bowls, I would say go for it, BYU!



It would be really nice to get the Boise State game moved to November. BYU has some of the better facilities and one of the biggest stadiums and probably the largest alumni and fan base among this group.



Although from one perspective it looks a lot like a conference taking the best from the C-USA and MWC over the last 5-10 years, it would land some pretty big potential markets - Philadelphia, New Jersey, Cincinnati, Orlanda, Tampa, Louisville, San Diego, Dallas, Houston. I know it's all potential, but that sure beats the potential that half the MWC brought - Laramie, Albuquerque, Ft. Collins,...
J
jacksonman
One thing this loss to Utah had exposed again is how much being independent SUCKS when you lose to your biggest rival the third week of the year. Big East is the worst of the BCS conferences but they ARE a conference, and they ARE a BCS conference, for now. I also like the idea of getting to play Boise the end of the year to replace Utah AND having a conference championship AND having a guaranteed BCS bowl game by winning your conference, even if you lose a game or two.
G
Guest
No such thing as BCS conference in a few years.
A
ABYUFAN
Phatgreen wrote:
Not sold on the Big Least conference.



It could be dooable, but it would have to be a minimum of no Sunday play, $15 million a year, tier 3 tv rights, and a basketball scheduling agreement.


I don't see them getting an invite for hoops.

I don't think tht we'd need to be invited for hoops to have a hoops scheduling agreement... something not too dissimilar to the Notre Dame ACC football deal

And I agree with Hawkwing on all 4 (and not just being a brown noser either...)
Advertisement
Y
YNot
jacksonman wrote:
AND having a guaranteed BCS bowl game by winning your conference, even if you lose a game or two.


This is a key. If the Big East can land a guaranteed spot into one of the New Year's Day bowl games (yes, essentially the BCS still), then the Big East is much more attractive.
S
scott715
Isn't Hawk awesome!
P
Phatgreen
YNot wrote:
AND having a guaranteed BCS bowl game by winning your conference, even if you lose a game or two.


This is a key. If the Big East can land a guaranteed spot into one of the New Year's Day bowl games (yes, essentially the BCS still), then the Big East is much more attractive.


That's a huge IF. It doesn't look promising right now for the Big East bowl wise.
M
Mars
hawkwing wrote:
No such thing as BCS conference in a few years.

Not really a true statement.
G
Guest
Mars wrote:
No such thing as BCS conference in a few years.

Not really a true statement.

But we can all agree that whatever comes the big east may very well be on the outside looking in.
Advertisement
M
Mars
hawkwing wrote:
But we can all agree that whatever comes the big east may very well be on the outside looking in.

Absolutely. The Big Ten and PAC-12 champs will be keeping the Rose Bowl forever, and so forth. The Big east? Out in the cold in the Champs Sports bowl.
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.