Archived Topic

Conference speculation again?!?

by Phatgreen · 9/19/2012

Advertisement
P
Phatgreen
Like most BYU fans, I'm getting a bit tired of all the conference speculation. The latest (today) is that the Big East is deciding whether or not to make another hard push at BYU. I for one am scared of the Big East and what it has become. The only benefit I see is some help with scheduling meaningful games later in the season. But I think if we join, we take a big hit in reputation and look desperate (maybe we really are). Do we join and hope for an invite to the Big 12 if/when they expand?



I like independence, but I'm not confident it's the long term answer. Thoughts?
B
BroncoBot
It's the answer until the BOT decides there is something better, and I don't see the big east being better. We get the BSU game if we want regardless.
S
SpiffCoug
Phatgreen wrote:
Like most BYU fans, I'm getting a bit tired of all the conference speculation. The latest (today) is that the Big East is deciding whether or not to make another hard push at BYU. I for one am scared of the Big East and what it has become. The only benefit I see is some help with scheduling meaningful games later in the season. But I think if we join, we take a big hit in reputation and look desperate (maybe we really are). Do we join and hope for an invite to the Big 12 if/when they expand?



I like independence, but I'm not confident it's the long term answer. Thoughts?

That's why it makes little to no sense to worry about conference speculation until it actually happens or doesn't.
S
scott715
At best the Big East might be a little better than indy however it could hurt our chances at the Big12. Thus I vote to ignore it and hope for better.
P
Phatgreen
scott715 wrote:
At best the Big East might be a little better than indy however it could hurt our chances at the Big12. Thus I vote to ignore it and hope for better.


I don't think it necessarily hurts our chances at the Big 12. If they expand, those teams are gonna come from the Big East anyway (Louisville, Cincinnati, or BYU).
Advertisement
S
scott715
There would be the exit fee and it slows down moving because of attorneys. Right now we can join today if need be. 2014 is a key date right now with the playoffs.
P
Phatgreen
scott715 wrote:
There would be the exit fee and it slows down moving because of attorneys. Right now we can join today if need be. 2014 is a key date right now with the playoffs.


Right, but will there be an exit fee if the conference dissolves? Not that I think that would happen, at least not in the next few years. Plus, as we've seen, exit fees and time frames can be negotiated.
S
scott715
Takes time and creates doublt. They could take two Big East teams and leave us out.
C
Cougarbib
Phatgreen wrote:
At best the Big East might be a little better than indy however it could hurt our chances at the Big12. Thus I vote to ignore it and hope for better.


I don't think it necessarily hurts our chances at the Big 12. If they expand, those teams are gonna come from the Big East anyway (Louisville, Cincinnati, or BYU).


Signed TCU, and several ACC or Big 12 Teams that came from The Big East. Kind of hard to keep track of all of the teams that used Big East as a step along the path to greater heights.



And - if BSU and SDSU start beating BYU in recruiting and national prominence and leverage that to PAC 16 or Big 16 Membership - SHUT UP ABOUT IT.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
C
Cougarbib
scott715 wrote:
There would be the exit fee and it slows down moving because of attorneys. Right now we can join today if need be. 2014 is a key date right now with the playoffs.


Now - lets see - last time Big 12 needed an immediate team with no strings they went for Big East - twice iirc, passed over the immediately available, no strings, no exit fee cougars - Big East



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.