Archived Topic

Solution to Crowd Noise

by Wickchad · 9/18/2012

Advertisement
W
Wickchad
There is a simple solution to crowd noise: Don't give the crowd anything to cheer about.



If we can get our offense going quickly and actually score multiple touchdowns in the first quarter we can take the home team's crowd out of the game. It's hard to continue being loud when your team is getting curb stomped by the visitors. Also crowd noise on 3rd down gets silenced very quickly when we convert for a 1st down repeatedly.



A novel concept would be for our offense to actually look like we scripted a creative set of plays to open up the game that may catch the defense off guard and actually score on our first drive of the game. Its been a long time since BYU scored a TD on the opening drive of the game (New Mexico State). Against Oregon State we scored TD's on our first two drives of the game. That calmed the crowd down pretty good.
1
1967cougar
+1
S
SpiffCoug
Or how about practicing a silent count? Or practicing at all with pumped in noise?



Of getting the officials to realize the defensive line is calling out their own signals, simulating the snap count, and then moving to simulate the actual snap. Completely ghetto by Whittingham and Utah.



Just further proves that they can't beat us straight up and have to resort to trickeration. Shame on BYU for not resorting to their own trickeration to gain an edge and win the game.
S
stuckinbig10country
SpiffCoug wrote:
Or how about practicing a silent count? Or practicing at all with pumped in noise?



Of getting the officials to realize the defensive line is calling out their own signals, simulating the snap count, and then moving to simulate the actual snap. Completely ghetto by Whittingham and Utah.



Just further proves that they can't beat us straight up and have to resort to trickeration. Shame on BYU for not resorting to their own trickeration to gain an edge and win the game.


And this is something USU will do too in a couple weeks. Kyle Gunther has said Utah has been doing this for at least 10 years. I don't know why the refs don't call it more often.
C
catawag
They don't call it because at RES "They can't hear it" that is what was reported after the game by reporters who asked our Oline about it.



Our Oline was complaining to the refs about it all game but they refs just said it was too loud to hear. Either way its the coaches fault for not having our team more prepared for the noise.
Advertisement
C
CrimsonCoug
If I remember right, in 2006 to 2007 we had a very long streak of scoring on our first drive. Definitely took the wind out of the opponents' sails. First time we didn't was against UCLA--I was there. It was also the first time we lost in that long stretch. (And Vic So'oto was DOWN on that horse-collar called a fumble!! I still get angry about that call. The reverse angle video on the Tivo showed it clearly. Not sure what the refs were looking at!)



I think we should try going with a Nitro set right from the start against BSU. Get up, then slow it down.
M
mizzoucoug
CrimsonCoug wrote:
If I remember right, in 2006 to 2007 we had a very long streak of scoring on our first drive. Definitely took the wind out of the opponents' sails. First time we didn't was against UCLA--I was there. It was also the first time we lost in that long stretch. (And Vic So'oto was DOWN on that horse-collar called a fumble!! I still get angry about that call. The reverse angle video on the Tivo showed it clearly. Not sure what the refs were looking at!)



I think we should try going with a Nitro set right from the start against BSU. Get up, then slow it down.


Kehl also had a pick in that game that the refs refused to look at it after the fact. The linebacker hit the ball in the air, Kehl caught it, and would have taken it the distance. Freaking cheating Pac10.2 refs!
C
CrimsonCoug
mizzoucoug wrote:
If I remember right, in 2006 to 2007 we had a very long streak of scoring on our first drive. Definitely took the wind out of the opponents' sails. First time we didn't was against UCLA--I was there. It was also the first time we lost in that long stretch. (And Vic So'oto was DOWN on that horse-collar called a fumble!! I still get angry about that call. The reverse angle video on the Tivo showed it clearly. Not sure what the refs were looking at!)



I think we should try going with a Nitro set right from the start against BSU. Get up, then slow it down.


Kehl also had a pick in that game that the refs refused to look at it after the fact. The linebacker hit the ball in the air, Kehl caught it, and would have taken it the distance. Freaking cheating Pac10.2 refs!


That's right, I forgot about that! They whistled the ball dead for no reason and stopped Kehl from taking the return. Wasn't there a flag on UCLA that BYU could have declined in favor of the outcome of the play, but the PAC refs blew it dead? I'm hazy on those details.
U
Ungoy
Interesting. D-News is reporting that in preparation for the game, Bronco did pump crowd noise in to simulate the atmosphere of RES.



"Last week as BYU prepared to face the Utes, coach Bronco Mendenhall pumped in crowd noise to simulate the atmosphere at Rice-Eccles Stadium. Hill was shocked how rowdy the Ute crowd was.



"It was extremely loud. It's hard to mimic a setting like that," he said. "When you look out and you see a sea of red. I was running out of the tunnel and I've never been booed that loud before in my life."



http://www.deseretnews.com/article/765605105/BYU-football-Taysom-Hill-recalls-first-taste-of-BYU-Utah-rivalry.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;



My question is how were they still so unprepared that they were caught that much off guard. He should make it louder next time.
Y
Yndian
Bronco did mention on KSL that he regretted not making the simulated noise louder in practice, and said (according to my interpretation) that he had thought the 29 seniors on the team would have made a bigger difference in the team's mental preparation.
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.