Archived Topic

Five Things That Must Be Changed To Be More Competitive

by Cougarfan87 · 9/18/2012

Advertisement
C
Cougarfan87
Couldn't agree more with the article on the other thread by Deep Shades of Blue, and I am typically a big Bronco supporter. But the ceiling is the elephant in the room. Fans have to decide what they want to support. Bronco fields a team with class, and is molding great young men. He is keeping the program out of controversy --in fact he has created a program that I think many fathers would like their sons to play for LDS and non-LDS alike because it stresses that football is not the most important thing. I know I would. But Bronco is not perfect. There are five things he could change to make the program more competitive, without losing the great things about the program.



One, the O-Line has compeletely underperformed for several years in a row. How is a QB getting sacked with three man rushes against Utah? Alright, at least once Riley failed to step up in the pocket, but the others there was no excuse.



Two, the hiring of unproven assistant coaches. We love BD, but what made him qualified to be the OC. He kept a sprint out QB in the pocket and ran an option play over and over again that just didn't work. The option to the short side of the field was reminiscent of the Crowton days--only Alisa is no Luke Staley. When you watch the Big Boy programs hire assistant coaches, they hire coaches who have proven themselves elsewhere. BYU should be telling these coaches go prove yourself somehwere else and then we would love to bring you on staff--not just hire previous player legends when we have no idea whether or not they actually have any Xs and Ox sense in a live game.



Third, why is it that BYU falls apart when playing the U? I don't see these same utterly stupid mistakes when playing other teams. But for some reason the U is in our guys' heads. Like it or not, the team is mentally weak and Utah is mentally strong. Our guys don't think they can win, which is why we barely win even when we have NFL talent on board. The Head Coach is responsible for preparing the players and improving their mental toughness so they can play in a hostile environment like the U. Like it or not, the MUSS absolutely affected the game both in positive and negative ways for their team. They should not have affected the game though, with proper preparation (such as running a silent count and using hand and arm signals for audibles).



Fourth, the Head Coach does not hold players accountable during the game. When the Utah RB fumbled the ball in the air and caught it again, Whittingham immediately pulled him from the game and you could see him having words with him. When one of our Olineman false starts at least three times, he gets to keep playing. Zero accountability. There is never an excuse to fumble or false start (even with the noise, they should have gone to a silent count and used hand and arm signals for audibles). Some immediate accountability would be nice. Do you think Nick Saban waits until half time or until the series is over to address boneheaded mistakes? I'm not saying I want Bronco screaming in their face. But pulling them immediately and having a frank discussion about how they are messing it up for their teammates would be nice.



Fifth, someone else mentioned it, but BYU needs to come up with a new, innovative offense. The old offense will not work against great defenses. BYU's current offense only works against inferior teams. Urban Meyer's spread took people by suprise. LaVell's offense worked because no one prepared to play 25-30 passing plays a game. BYU needs to come up with something that schematic-wise is difficult to defend since we know we will not always get top-flite offensive talent. When you have a bunch of five star and four star players, it doesn't matter so much what you run as how well you execute. When you don't, it absolutely matters what you are running because you need to give those players a competitive advantage. On a neutral or worse field, their toast. I like the idea of running the Nitro offense the whole time like Oregon. That would give BYU a competitive advantage--if we were physically fit enough to do so.



Until these five things change, you can expect 10 win seasons against inferior opponents, but there will never be another undefeated season, let alone a future run in the playoffs leading to national championships. And maybe that is OK as long as the program stays clean and puts up enough wins against paper tigers. I guess each fan has to decide for themselves whether that is enough for them, because I don't see it changing in the next few years.



I will still be a huge fan, and watch the games, but my expectations for BYU have been lowered quite a bit. I'll have to root for Florida to rise from the ashes of Urban Meyer's burning it to the ground in order to root for a team that I have a connection with that realistically has a chance at a national championship in the next five years. But they will still be a distant second to how much I care about BYU football.
G
Guest
I agree with a lot of your points, however, I'll modify some of them slightly.



BYU's team isn't necessarily mentally weak, and Utah's team is far from mentally strong. Mentally strong teams don't get shutout by UNLV or lose to Colorado when they have the chance to win the Pac12. BYU's players don't know how to handle big emotional moments, where Utah's thrives on that.



Bronco needs to find a way to up the Cougars ability to handle and play in emotional amped games without getting to the level where the team needs emotion as a base motivator (which is why Kyle's teams lose a head scratching game almost every year).
C
Cougarfan87
hawkwing wrote:
I agree with a lot of your points, however, I'll modify some of them slightly.



BYU's team isn't necessarily mentally weak, and Utah's team is far from mentally strong. Mentally strong teams don't get shutout by UNLV or lose to Colorado when they have the chance to win the Pac12. BYU's players don't know how to handle big emotional moments, where Utah's thrives on that.



Bronco needs to find a way to up the Cougars ability to handle and play in emotional amped games without getting to the level where the team needs emotion as a base motivator (which is why Kyle's teams lose a head scratching game almost every year).


Totally agree with the point you are making here. I think not losing your wits is a mental toughness issue. I think the Ewe is extremely mentally prepared for the BYU games, but I would not say they are always mentally/emotionally prepared for their other games. You don't want wild emotional swings like occurs at the Ewe, but you do want to be mentally prepared for what is sure to be an emotional dogfight. I think immediate accountability would take care of some of the stupid mistakes that keep plauging us and get our emotions under control.



I should have added a number 6 to this thread. Ball security. I have yet to see a running back or receiver carry the ball without me worrying about them fumbling it on every play. Not one of them carries it high and tight, and Alisa consistently uses the arm he is carrying the football with to break his fall. Ball security is horrendous. I have no idea of the fumble numbers, but I know there is a lot of potential for fumbles due to the way we carry the ball.
S
SpiffCoug
Number 1: Find a Kicker and/or blockers on the FG team.



BYU is two blocked FGs away from being 6-2 against Utah the last 8 years.
Y
Y 4 Ever
SpiffCoug wrote:
Number 1: Find a Kicker and/or blockers on the FG team.



BYU is two blocked FGs away from being 6-2 against Utah the last 8 years.

I don't follow your math. How does two blocked kicks equal 3 more wins?



And the kick Saturday would have just forced ot. Doesn't mean we would have won.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
Advertisement
S
SpiffCoug
Y 4 Ever wrote:
Number 1: Find a Kicker and/or blockers on the FG team.



BYU is two blocked FGs away from being 6-2 against Utah the last 8 years.

I don't follow your math. How does two blocked kicks equal 3 more wins?



And the kick Saturday would have just forced ot. Doesn't mean we would have won.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">

Sorry, We'd be 5-3. Should have been three blocked kicks.



Rats! My arguement isn't as strong now!
Y
Y 4 Ever
SpiffCoug wrote:
SpiffCoug wrote:
Number 1: Find a Kicker and/or blockers on the FG team.



BYU is two blocked FGs away from being 6-2 against Utah the last 8 years.

I don't follow your math. How does two blocked kicks equal 3 more wins?



And the kick Saturday would have just forced ot. Doesn't mean we would have won.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">

Sorry, We'd be 5-3. Should have been three blocked kicks.



Rats! My arguement isn't as strong now!

You mean 5-3...assuming we had won in overtime. (which I think we would have)



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
S
SpiffCoug
No, three blocked kicks turned into makes, makes us 5-3. The blocked kick in 2010 and the two in 2012.
S
stuckinbig10country
Point 1-Completely agree. I've been on the fire Weber bandwagon for at least 3 years.



Point 2-Somewhat agree. Brandon Doman was going to be an OC last year. The only question was if it was going to be at BYU. If you think you have a coach that you want to keep on your staff, you may have to promote them from within before they may even be ready. This is where a Head Coach needs to take more ownership of it (Whittingham did this first with Kilani Sitaki-as experienced as Doman when he got the coordinator job and again with Johnson). Big time programs can play the game of going and poaching other OC's from smaller programs. Newsflash-we are not big time.



3-BYU is the model of consistency...sometimes a good thing, sometimes not a good thing. Sometimes teams need just a little something extra for big games...being sooooo consistent doesn't give you that.



4.100% agree. Players need to be pulled out if they cannot execute. Can't preach consistency and position mastery and accountability and then not hold them to it in game situations.



5. I don't agree. I think they need to decide who they are on offense and build for that instead of trying to be everything. Contrary to popular belief, there isn't much different that can be done. Even the spread Urban Meyer offense isn't all that innovative, especially in the passing game. It's about overloading zones and having your athletes make plays (which is why New England runs it now). And the run game is based a lot on the old Denver Broncos zone blocking scheme, which is probably even older than that (like the old veer option offense).
D
DarthMagnus
stuckinbig10country wrote:

5. I don't agree. I think they need to decide who they are on offense and build for that instead of trying to be everything. Contrary to popular belief, there isn't much different that can be done. Even the spread Urban Meyer offense isn't all that innovative, especially in the passing game. It's about overloading zones and having your athletes make plays (which is why New England runs it now). And the run game is based a lot on the old Denver Broncos zone blocking scheme, which is probably even older than that (like the old veer option offense).




Gonna disagree here. There are always ways to maximize strategy better in football, and it was a primary factor in their success during Lavell's heyday. BYU is not going to beat teams like Oregon on the basis of team speed and athletic ability. And they aren't going to beat teams like Alabama on execution. The athletic and execution gains that BYU could realistically attain against elite schools are marginal at best. I'm not saying BYU shouldn't worry about recruiting and execution, but just that realistically, BYU probably won't be able to improve in these areas enough to catch up to elite teams. They simply recruit too well and are too well coached year in and year out.



There are several statistical studies, however, showing that football teams, both in college and NFL, do not maximize their potential when it comes to play calling and strategy, and that embracing new strategies would result in massive advantages. I will look more into this and source it in a bit, but two that come to mind immediately were extensive analyses into the advantages of playing a nitro-style offense 90% of the time, and the other, the immense amount of gain a team could get by never punting the football. I'm sure there are more out there as well.



I'm not saying those are the models BYU should adopt necessarily, I'm just saying, BYU isn't going to win another NC by playing "conventional" offense. The gap in our athletes and execution, compared to the top 10 elite college programs out there, will always be too big.
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.