Archived Topic

Does a win Thursday change anything?

by SpiffCoug · 9/17/2012

Advertisement
S
SpiffCoug
I think it does. To be able to turn around so quickly on the road and win at a top 25 team would be a highly remarkable achievement.
J
jacksonman
I would agree that it does, but to what extent depends how it is done. If I see some major adjustments, new personnel, new playcalling, etc. I will regain a large chunk of my excitement back. It if is more of the same and we get lucky enough to barely sneak out a win, it will still be a good win, but not much excitement for the future.
G
Gunk
No.



Not unless the offense comes out swinging and unloads a bunch of points on BSU, which I doubt will happen.



Squeaking by with a win against BSU will put a band aid on the loss to Utah but it won't change anything. Means we got lucky.
S
Schmoe
It obviously will take a little edge off of the sting we're all feeling this week and hopefully help us find some optimism. I think if we split both road trips with no other losses, we can still call this season a success. I definitely won't be satisfied with anything less at this point.
V
vancouvercougar
A Cougar win and a Ute loss will certainly make me feel a lot better.
Advertisement
J
jacksonman
I think everyone is realizing that our game with Utah is our biggest game each as an independent. We better figure out a way to keep the series alive AND win on occasion. We could win out and I will still feel that we came short. I would have felt much better beating Utah and losing to ND and GT. I would gladly trade a win against Utah for two loses against other teams!



Really not liking independence, the Utah game 3rd, the potential of losing the Utah game, having a coach with mental hang-ups with Utah, and lack of QB and O-line!
K
KingCoug
If nothing else...



It will show, not only how much heart the team has (i.e. don't get beaten twice by Utah), but also how much the coaches did in the few days they had to fix the stupid mistakes and get the "execution" back.
B
BoiseBYU
Yes. Period.
S
snoscythe
RE: My outlook for 2012? Yes, it changes something.



RE: My outlook for the next 3 years if Weber sticks around and Doman continues with his jack-of-all-trades-master-of-none playbook? No. It changes nothing.
Y
Y 4 Ever
For 2012, yes.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
Advertisement
M
mizzoucoug
I am reading 2 questions here. Does it make up for the Utah loss? NO WAY. You'd have to be crazy to agree with that. Utah sucked and they still owned us. There is no make up or moral victories to be had.



Does it change anything to beat Boise? Yes. A win on the road against an above average team (perhaps?) is a Bronco anomaly. Does this team have the cajones to win on the road against a really good team? I don't have any reason to believe so. But if we do then yeah the season is back on because I don't see us losing at home this year.
C
Cougs_Rule
Does it make up for loss to Utah? NO WAY!

Does it change anything? It's a good start. It would be amazing bounce back and heart and who knows maybe starting to fix the Oline problems and offensive limitations.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
F
Florwood
Yes it does. Even with the agony of failure, that the Cougs didn't give up after the third quarter is something I'm hanging on to, and a victory over a ranked team Thursday would help get things back on track for the year.
Y
Y 4 Ever
This game has a similar feel to the tcu game in 06.



except for that's not John beck under center



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
D
dank80
I say absolutely yes. This team needs to believe they can win a big game on the road.
Advertisement
Y
Y12
Nationally: Yes



Locally: No.



I have said all along, the Boise game was more important for the national perception of the team/program, but nothing matches the heartbreak of losing to Utah, again.



We can finish 12-1, but it will still have an asterisk, so to speak. It won't have the same good feeling the season would have had if BYU had finished 12-1 with the only loss to Georgia Tech.



Even if BYU wins this week, we still have to wait one whole year for another shot at Utah. We still have to put up with :utard: trash talk. We still have to wonder what might have been.
B
BerliNY
I can't believe I'm saying this but, yes, if we beat Boise I'll forget all about the U game. How did I reach this point?
C
Cougarbib
Y12 wrote:
Nationally: Yes



Locally: No.



I have said all along, the Boise game was more important for the national perception of the team/program, but nothing matches the heartbreak of losing to Utah, again.



We can finish 12-1, but it will still have an asterisk, so to speak. It won't have the same good feeling the season would have had if BYU had finished 12-1 with the only loss to Georgia Tech.



Even if BYU wins this week, we still have to wait one whole year for another shot at Utah. We still have to put up with :utard: trash talk. We still have to wonder what might have been.


Let's see 12-1. Wins on the road vs BSU, ND, and GT with home wins over WSU, USU. and OSU.



Could I get over a 3 point loss on the road to Utah - yes - absolutely yes - especially since we would be Top 10 flirting with Top 5 and U will likely end the season unranked again.



Simply YES.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
D
Ddawg
dmcougar wrote:
Does it make up for loss to Utah? NO WAY!

Does it change anything? It's a good start. It would be amazing bounce back and heart and who knows maybe starting to fix the Oline problems and offensive limitations.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


+1. It's a huge step in the right direction. It does not remove the deep sting and pain of losing to the Yewts. That's painful. I can only imagine what the Cougar locker room was after the game. Miserable.



So - it does not erase a loss to Utah. But, it would be huge. Fantastic. Would show big heart and character.
C
Cougest
Locally: No....just no. Another year long, never ending taunt from the all superior Pac 12 Ute fans.



Nationally: Yes, absolutely.



If there ever was a year to beat Boise it's this year with them having a new QB. That being said, if there ever was a year to beat Utah you'd think it was this year with White, Blechin, Wynn, and starting DB's out.

Proud of our defense and effort of our guys last week. Yet, severely disappointed in Riley. Terrible decision, poor vision, and a look like he had to poop after Utah's defensive TD. If it wasn't for a pair of talented freshman and a strong D, we wouldn't have even been in the game. Don't know how much confidence I'll ever have over any team with Riley running the show.
Page 1 of 3
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.