Archived Topic

2nd half of the Weber State game

by fifthqb · 9/17/2012

Advertisement
F
fifthqb
Should be the blue print going forward. That's how I cast my official vote.



I don't think the offense has been as good or as fun to watch as that point in the game. Lark was making throws and Hill was playing about 1/3rd of the plays. Kuresa and Williams were being utilized and it was effective.



I'd combine that with the aggressive nature of the defense from the Utah game and I think you have a pretty solid, aggressive game plan. Blitzing Ziggy and KVN was awesome.





And for the inevitable "You want to risk the whole season based on viewing one half against the worst team we will play all year" and the answer is yes. I do. It get's Hill more experience for the future and I think it makes for a better offense as a whole. Why would I want to risk the rest of the season on what I saw last night? I want to win now and I want to win in the future and this gives us the best shot at both.



For the "Two QB's will never work" crowd, it wouldn't work with ego's like Riley's and Heaps'. Lark is a team player. He will do whatever is best for the team without question. Hill knows he is the future and will be glad for whatever snaps he can get. That's a perfect combination.
S
SpiffCoug
I look forward to throwing away a third straight season in the name of getting the future on the field.



I call for all juniors and seniors to go to their position coaches and asked to be benched so freshman and sophomores can start getting ready for the future.
F
fifthqb
Here's the kicker about this future:



1) we know what are other option looks like this time. We know what Nelson does.

2) It's still best option to win now, it just provides value to the future.



If I remember right you were one of those "future" types a few years back... :whistle:
S
SpiffCoug
Then you remember incorrectly. I was always in a RS Heaps and start Riley and play for the present. Let the future worry about the future.
F
fifthqb
I apologize for incorrectly casting you as a futurite.



However, the point of my original post remains, I still believe it's the best option to win now. Getting Hill experience is just an added perk. He brings a skill set now which can help the team win now, which is why I would want him taking about 1/3rd of the snaps going forward with Lark being the primary QB.



I don't expect this to happen, but I fully expect many people to look back at the end of the season and wish we had made the change.
Advertisement
V
vancouvercougar
fifthqb wrote:
Here's the kicker about this future:

1) we know what are other option looks like this time. We know what Nelson does.

2) It's still best option to win now, it just provides value to the future.



If I remember right you were one of those "future" types a few years back... :whistle:


Do we even have a kicker in the future?
S
stuckinbig10country
I am in favor of playing the best player. If that's Riley (not convinced that it is), then play him. The record for the season would be the same with either Lark or Nelson, in my opinion, and I think they both would have a better record than Hill would as a starter.



If these are the best players for the OLine, then play them. I think they are, and I think there is a major coaching issue. Is this something that can be fixed this season? I don't think so because there is no one to take over for Weber right now. I believe Weber might be the only non-LDS coach right now, and that could hurt recruiting, unless he is replaced by another non-LDS coach in the off-season.



Doman has to do something else, but I think what he is doing is under orders from Bronco. Bronco, being a defensive coach, might be clamping down on what he allows his offense to be. He wants ball control, field position, eat up clock type of offense. That may actually be where the problem lies here.
G
Gunk
stuckinbig10country wrote:
I am in favor of playing the best player. If that's Riley (not convinced that it is), then play him. The record for the season would be the same with either Lark or Nelson, in my opinion, and I think they both would have a better record than Hill would as a starter.



If these are the best players for the OLine, then play them. I think they are, and I think there is a major coaching issue. Is this something that can be fixed this season? I don't think so because there is no one to take over for Weber right now. I believe Weber might be the only non-LDS coach right now, and that could hurt recruiting, unless he is replaced by another non-LDS coach in the off-season.



Doman has to do something else, but I think what he is doing is under orders from Bronco. Bronco, being a defensive coach, might be clamping down on what he allows his offense to be. He wants ball control, field position, eat up clock type of offense. That may actually be where the problem lies here.

Agree.



Best players should play and I think Bronco's mindset on offense is a cancer.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.