Archived Topic

Stepping back from the edge

by rblack · 9/17/2012

Advertisement
R
rblack
The game Saturday certainly changed the outlook for the rest of the season. I expected them to come out with better preparation, more passion and better execution.

However, as the season progresses, we will find out how bad this loss really was.

I remember going to the Boston College game. That was another game that BYU should have won, however, they ended up losing due to poor kicking (among other things). However, BYU proceeded from there and won the rest of their games.

We still don't know how good/bad this team really is. We also don't know how good/bad Utah is. We might find that BYU goes on to win the rest of their games. We might find that Utah goes on to win the rest of their games. While I don't have alot of confidence in either of those scenarios, what I am saying is there is alot of football left to be played. Was this a missed opportunity? Yes! However, I am a BYU fan. I am willing to give them the benefit of the doubt until they prove me wrong. Looking ahead, I could see a 6-7 season, I can also see a 12-1 season. Do I think either is going to happen? I am willing to cheer for one and hope we avoid the other.
F
frdbtr
The question is, did we see the "real" utah team or the "real" BYU team. I was criticized all last week for telling everyone that the utah team that lost to utah state would NOT be the utah team that showed up against BYU and I was right. utah has always played thier best game of the year against BYU. They typically lose to bad teams making Y fans laugh and say "wow, we are going to kill them this year" and then the NE patriots show up against BYU and everyone is calling for everyone on the coaching staff to be fired and every starter to lose his job to the backup. I am as sick of losing to the u as any fan but the bottom line is, until BYU fans, coaches, and players start realizing that utah is going to be our toughest game of the year every year no matter what they do against every other opponent, we will never get the upper hand in this rivalry again.
Y
YNot
frdbtr wrote:
The question is, did we see the "real" utah team or the "real" BYU team. I was criticized all last week for telling everyone that the utah team that lost to utah state would NOT be the utah team that showed up against BYU and I was right. utah has always played thier best game of the year against BYU. They typically lose to bad teams making Y fans laugh and say "wow, we are going to kill them this year" and then the NE patriots show up against BYU and everyone is calling for everyone on the coaching staff to be fired and every starter to lose his job to the backup. I am as sick of losing to the u as any fan but the bottom line is, until BYU fans, coaches, and players start realizing that utah is going to be our toughest game of the year every year no matter what they do against every other opponent, we will never get the upper hand in this rivalry again.


This is why the rivalry game in September stinks. A rivalry loss can leave a horrible taste to the rest of the season. And you have to wait for the rest of the season to determine whether it was really a good game by Utah or a bad game by BYU.



I am grateful that the Boise State game is Thursday. We can move on to the next game quickly. We play well against Boise and the sting from Saturday night is lessened considerably. The season continues.



Saturday's loss was embarrassing and still hurts. But, I'm still excited. We have some good football between now and the middle of November. Boise looks decent and should be a great game. Utah State looks good. Oregon State seems comparable to USU. Notre Dame is on a roll. Georgia Tech is competitive. Even San Jose State looks like legitimate competition. Should be a fun schedule.



PS - This could be a year where BYU, Utah, and Utah State all finished ranked! We shall see.
S
SpiffCoug
Utah will lose three of their next four games.
B
Brayden Green
SpiffCoug wrote:
Utah will lose three of their next four games.


Um, we might too... :sick:
Advertisement
L
Lawboy
SpiffCoug wrote:
Utah will lose three of their next four games.


I hope not. I want them to back up that win with great play. And I want us to back up the loss with great play.



BSU is now a must win for this season. Must win.
N
northerncougar
frdbtr wrote:
The question is, did we see the "real" utah team or the "real" BYU team. I was criticized all last week for telling everyone that the utah team that lost to utah state would NOT be the utah team that showed up against BYU and I was right. utah has always played thier best game of the year against BYU. They typically lose to bad teams making Y fans laugh and say "wow, we are going to kill them this year" and then the NE patriots show up against BYU and everyone is calling for everyone on the coaching staff to be fired and every starter to lose his job to the backup. I am as sick of losing to the u as any fan but the bottom line is, until BYU fans, coaches, and players start realizing that utah is going to be our toughest game of the year every year no matter what they do against every other opponent, we will never get the upper hand in this rivalry again.


I agree with you, but the reason that it is the toughest game for us, is because they are in our collective heads. Players, coaches, everybody. As long as Bronco keeps preparing for this game they way he does it will never change.
M
mizzoucoug
frdbtr wrote:
The question is, did we see the "real" utah team or the "real" BYU team. I was criticized all last week for telling everyone that the utah team that lost to utah state would NOT be the utah team that showed up against BYU and I was right. utah has always played thier best game of the year against BYU. They typically lose to bad teams making Y fans laugh and say "wow, we are going to kill them this year" and then the NE patriots show up against BYU and everyone is calling for everyone on the coaching staff to be fired and every starter to lose his job to the backup. I am as sick of losing to the u as any fan but the bottom line is, until BYU fans, coaches, and players start realizing that utah is going to be our toughest game of the year every year no matter what they do against every other opponent, we will never get the upper hand in this rivalry again.


I was mocked for it too. Utah is and always has been our toughest game.
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.