Archived Topic

Elite Quarterback and above average kicker

by Wickchad · 9/17/2012

Advertisement
W
Wickchad
I'm ready for an elite quarterback at BYU. We haven't had one since Detmer. Sarkesian, Beck, and Hall were great, but I'm ready for a QB that strikes fear in the opposition. I want someone that keeps defensive coordinators up at night all off season trying to figure out how they are going to stop them. I want a QB that makes his teammates better.



We've been disappointed twice with two over-hyped recruits that didn't pan out. Does Hill have the possibility of becoming elite? Does Mangum have the possibility of becoming elite? Maybe. I'm hoping that we properly develop these two QB's and learn from our mistakes with Heaps. When Nelson gets hurt this year we need to go with Lark. Do not throw Hill to the wolves before he is ready. Use the rest of this year to start developing Hill in games. Give him some meaningful reps where he is running our offense. This year is going to end up at 9-4 regardless of who is playing QB so at least get some good work for next year's QB.



In regards to kickers. I haven't been confident in our ability to make a field goal of 30 yards or more since Matt Payne lined up for the game winning kick against Boise State. Can we please find a kicker that can make a field goal? We had many great kickers in the 80's and 90's. I just want someone that can be counted on to make kicks under 50 yards and who is capable of making them over 50. I had no hope that our 50 yarder against Utah was going in. And I'm not a kicking expert, but I don't think its good when your kick is spinning sideways on your field goal that is supposed to force overtime. Let's call it what it is, we have a punter and a kickoff specialist. We do not have a field goal kicker this year.
G
Guest
I'm not sure we can get an elite level quarterback with Brandon Doman in charge of the offense. He's shown that he can get QBs to pretty good, but if they have any sort of flaw at all, he hasn't shown that he can over come that and coach them up.
L
Lawboy
I think Doman got Hall and Beck to as good as they could get at BYU. BYU has not had an "it" guy for a while though. Beck 2006 was as close as it get though. iI'd take that level of QB play every year.
B
Brayden Green
Senior Beck was a force to be reckoned with.



I echo Lawboy. I'll take Senior Beck play mixed with our defense. We would have a lot better shot at winning these 50/50 games. Who am I kidding, they aren't 50/50 games... they are all 80/20, for us or against us. We don't win 50/50 games. Which is why a better quarterback wouldn't hurt.
G
Gunk
I'll take an elite OC over an elite QB.



I'll also take an elite OL coach over an elite QB.



Both would make an average QB look semi-elite for multiple seasons as opposed to one, maybe two good seasons with an elite QB and then it's back to grooming the next elite QB for a couple of seasons.
Advertisement
I
imuakahuku
My question would be do you prefer wins or statistics? IIRC the only QB to win it all is almost never mentioned when people discuss the GREATS. Max Hall won more games than Detmer (who happens to be my all time favorite).



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
B
Brayden Green
Also, I would classify Hall as elite and one of the greats.



He played some of the best defenses we have ever faced at BYU, and came out the winningest qb ever.
G
Gunk
BlueIsBetter wrote:
Also, I would classify Hall as elite and one of the greats.



He played some of the best defenses we have ever faced at BYU, and came out the winningest qb ever.


Hall was an elite QB. He's a gamer. His arm was awesome. It frustrated me how sometimes Hall would throw into traffic, but after watching Lark and Hill put a bit of zip on the ball I found myself longing for Hall's ability to thread the football.
M
mizzoucoug
You're asking for a Detmer. Well yeah who wouldn't want a Heisman winner, but come on that's completely unrealistic.
S
SpiffCoug
Detmer would have been KILLED by today's fans. There is no way fans would have tolerated 28 INTs in a season.



Here are recent INT totals by BYU QBs: 15, 11, 14, 14, 13, 9, 13, 14, 22, 21, 9.
Advertisement
W
Wickchad
SpiffCoug wrote:
Detmer would have been KILLED by today's fans. There is no way fans would have tolerated 28 INTs in a season.



Here are recent INT totals by BYU QBs: 15, 11, 14, 14, 13, 9, 13, 14, 22, 21, 9.


Fans tend to forgive three INT thrown when its offset by 5 TD's, 400 yards, and a 28 point win. Those were definitely different times back in the wacky WAC.
C
Cougarbib
Wickchad84087 wrote:
Detmer would have been KILLED by today's fans. There is no way fans would have tolerated 28 INTs in a season.



Here are recent INT totals by BYU QBs: 15, 11, 14, 14, 13, 9, 13, 14, 22, 21, 9.


Fans tend to forgive three INT thrown when its offset by 5 TD's, 400 yards, and a 28 point win. Those were definitely different times back in the wacky WAC.

Because Detmer beat Miami he won the Heisman Trophy and because he won that, BYU fans and BYU historians have been willing to overlook a few things - like 5 game losing streak starting the day he won the Heisman and an 8-3-2 senior season and suffering through multiple blowout losses.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.