Archived Topic

Proud of Our Guys

by jonnylingo · 9/16/2012

Advertisement
J
jonnylingo
While they came out sloppy and looking unprepared they never gave up. that was nice to see. just jump on the ball!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
K
KingCoug
Sure, they didn't throw in the towel like last year. Not much in the way of consolation though.
A
a1247
I'm proud of my 9 year old sons team for playing hard today even though they lost, but this is division 1 football I am sick to think that we've fallen so far that were happy that they didn't stop playing hard. :sick: Really,,, proud,,,really :skeptic: OMG I didn't think I could get anymore sick but I think I just did.
K
KingCoug
a1247 wrote:
I'm proud of my 9 year old sons team for playing hard today even though they lost, but this is division 1 football I am sick to think that we've fallen so far that were happy that they didn't stop playing hard. :sick: Really,,, proud,,,really :skeptic: OMG I didn't think I could get anymore sick but I think I just did.


True. I really don't want to hear any "I'm proud of" talk. Already heard it on the radio from Bronco himself, plus a few fans calling in.



Winning is what matters. Period.
S
snoscythe
Not really proud of Nelson or the OLine tonight. That would be like saying I'm proud of Obama because the stock markets have rallied this last week---I'd have to ignore everything that came before that and the reasons why we needed a rally in the first place.
Advertisement
B
BroncoBot
KingCoug wrote:
I'm proud of my 9 year old sons team for playing hard today even though they lost, but this is division 1 football I am sick to think that we've fallen so far that were happy that they didn't stop playing hard. :sick: Really,,, proud,,,really :skeptic: OMG I didn't think I could get anymore sick but I think I just did.


True. I really don't want to hear any "I'm proud of" talk. Already heard it on the radio from Bronco himself, plus a few fans calling in.



Whining is what matters. Period.

Fixed it for you. ;)
B
Brayden Green
I'm proud of the defense. The offense can go suck an egg.
B
Brayden Green
KingCoug wrote:
I'm proud of my 9 year old sons team for playing hard today even though they lost, but this is division 1 football I am sick to think that we've fallen so far that were happy that they didn't stop playing hard. :sick: Really,,, proud,,,really :skeptic: OMG I didn't think I could get anymore sick but I think I just did.


True. I really don't want to hear any "I'm proud of" talk. Already heard it on the radio from Bronco himself, plus a few fans calling in.



Winning is what matters. Period.


Ugh... Listening to Wrubell and Bronco fawn over what an amazing team they are and blah blah blah. I shut that shizz off in a hurry!!!
C
Cougs_Rule
I'm proud of our D. I'm NOT proud of Doman, Weber, the Oline and mostly Riley.

Although I have to say that I'd almost rather have Riley calling plays. He and Hoff designed the long pass play at the end.

But overall, we've lost 3 in a row and 8 out of lat 10 to utes. There is nothing to be proud of. Well I take it back-- I'm proud our players are not cheating, dirty dheads like the utes.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
B
byutx
It might have been better for the long term if Utah had blown us out or had they given up.
Advertisement
J
jonnylingo
nobody can deny that our players didn't play their hardest. you can't be mad about that.



nelson is limited and turnover prone. that has been apparent to many of us from day one. i will be glad when his time as qb is over but its hard to be mad at him when he did all he could. he played the way he plays.
K
KingCoug
jonnylingo wrote:
nobody can deny that our players didn't play their hardest. you can't be mad about that.



nelson is limited and turnover prone. that has been apparent to many of us from day one. i will be glad when his time as qb is over but its hard to be mad at him when he did all he could. he played the way he plays.


I guess it depends on how you define "hardest." The offense showed life in the second half when they had to start playing more aggressive because time was running out and they didn't have much to lose at that point.



But early on, they looked flat, tight, jittery, lost, confused, and so on.
B
Brayden Green
Last night Nelson wasn't the same Nelson that played in the Washington State game (running around and yelling at people). This was the same Nelson that played against Air Force 2 years ago. The one that was getting his lunch ate. Except that one ran for 100+ yards. This one just held on to the ball until he got sacked. He looked disinterested until the beginning of the 4th quarter, after T. HIll and Williams scored on the option run in the endzone.



He looked nervous and tentative all night. Maybe it was injury, maybe not. Bronco is stupid enough to "trust Riley 100% to tell me whether or not he is good to go," so we'll never know.



I personally don't think that he should have played the second half. Taysom HIll was the spark off the bench that we needed, and we needed him in the game earlier. After an 89.2 PER in the first half, and laying another egg the first possession, we should have seen HIll or Lark take the next snap. Riley was simply playing badly. Very Very badly. And he needed to be benched to either get his head right, or if his body wasn't 100% or even 50% then he should have been benched anyways. Because "last night Riley" wasn't even close to good enough to win, unfortunately for the defense, T HIll and Williams.
S
SpiffCoug
BlueIsBetter wrote:
I personally don't think that he should have played the second half. Taysom HIll was the spark off the bench that we needed, and we needed him in the game earlier. After an 89.2 PER in the first half, and laying another egg the first possession, we should have seen HIll or Lark take the next snap. Riley was simply playing badly. Very Very badly. And he needed to be benched to either get his head right, or if his body wasn't 100% or even 50% then he should have been benched anyways. Because "last night Riley" wasn't even close to good enough to win, unfortunately for the defense, T HIll and Williams.

Riley's 1st half PER wasn't 89.2. I have him at 7 of 13 for 72 yards and 1 TD for a 125.75 PER. But he was playing poorly. His first possession of the 3rd quarter was poor (going four and out).



But it is false to say Riley "wasn't even close to good enough to win" because BYU was a 37-yard FG away from sending the game into overtime with ALL the momentum. BYU was actually pretty close to a win, despite some really bad play by their QB. Riley's 4th quarter PER was 165.35.
B
Brayden Green
I had him at 11 for 25 or something like that. Maybe that came midway into the 3rd after a couple stalled drives. It doesn't really matter either way I guess. I still comes down to the same result in the end. And Riley didn't pull us within a td. The defense kept us in the game because in this particular game they kept trying instead of giving up, like last year.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
Advertisement
S
SpiffCoug
Could have sworn it was a Riley TD pass that cut the score to 21-24, but I might be wrong.



The defense did what they were supposed to do. Kept the team in the game so they could have a chance. Just like they did against Tulsa, and just like they didn't do against Utah last year.
B
Brayden Green
SpiffCoug wrote:
Could have sworn it was a Riley TD pass that cut the score to 21-24, but I might be wrong.



The defense did what they were supposed to do. Kept the team in the game so they could have a chance. Just like they did against Tulsa, and just like they didn't do against Utah last year.


agreed on all counts.



Without the defense and getting that ball at the 12 we don't score that TD I think. RIley was out of it in the 3rd quarter. And the funny thing is that we scored a TD on one play from HIll and Williams earlier and went away from it instantly, and back to the non-offense that had been Riley led all 3 quarters.



He did come to life in the 4th, but it was too little too late, even with continued stellar play from the defense.
C
Cougarbib
BlueIsBetter wrote:
I'm proud of the defense. The offense can go suck an egg.


When the game was on the line with the Utes Deep in their own territory - and 3 minutes or so left - and they let that pass caught behind the line come all the way back across the field and then turn up field for 30 yards when we needed a stop or a turnover - as that when your pride swelled?



The D was pretty good. Far from perfect. Gave up some big plays vs the 2 ND string QB and RB and Simply Terrible OL of Utah.



There was plenty of missed opportunities in every aspect of the game.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
C
Cougarbib
BlueIsBetter wrote:
Could have sworn it was a Riley TD pass that cut the score to 21-24, but I might be wrong.



The defense did what they were supposed to do. Kept the team in the game so they could have a chance. Just like they did against Tulsa, and just like they didn't do against Utah last year.


agreed on all counts.



Without the defense and getting that ball at the 12 we don't score that TD I think. RIley was out of it in the 3rd quarter. And the funny thing is that we scored a TD on one play from HIll and Williams earlier and went away from it instantly, and back to the non-offense that had been Riley led all 3 quarters.



He did come to life in the 4th, but it was too little too late, even with continued stellar play from the defense.

Actually - history revisionist - straw man - simply put - He simply went with the QB that he thought could put BYU in a position to win even if the stellar defense gave up a huge gain, another set of downs, valuable time, burned timeouts resulting - and even after one missed field goal - blocked of course - still be in a position to kick a field goal and take momentum into OT. That is the one he went with.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
B
Brayden Green
Cougarbib wrote:
I'm proud of the defense. The offense can go suck an egg.


When the game was on the line with the Utes Deep in their own territory - and 3 minutes or so left - and they let that pass caught behind the line come all the way back across the field and then turn up field for 30 yards when we needed a stop or a turnover - as that when your pride swelled?



The D was pretty good. Far from perfect. Gave up some big plays vs the 2 ND string QB and RB and Simply Terrible OL of Utah.



There was plenty of missed opportunities in every aspect of the game.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


Considering that the defense was on the field for the majority of the night after poor offensive showing after showing: hell yes I am proud of them. All night long they fought hard, even though they knew that they were going to give it to turnover prone Riley, and that one of these drives we weren't going to get a lucky bounce to get the football back, or a lucky dropped INT, or a lucky fumble replay called back (one was pure crap and never should have been called a fumble, the other could have gone either way).



I'm very proud. They played like the top 10 defense they are. I don't care who you are, if you give the other team the ball consistently they are going to convert first downs once in a while.



PS. your "simply" joke is getting old. It wasn't funny to begin with. It also makes your rambling, english-as-a-second-language-sounding posts a little more incoherent, which isn't a good thing for you.



Go start another poll using "U" to replace the word "you" if you need something to keep yourself busy.
Page 1 of 2
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.