Archived Topic

Is it normal that the clock starts

by bennyhaha · 9/16/2012

Advertisement
B
bennyhaha
to run after a delay of game penalty? Because after that Utah delay of game penalty the clock started to run about 15 seconds off the clock.
S
Schmoe
Noticed this too, and no, it shouldn't happen. But the timer was obviously a total tool Yewt, as the clock also started on the second-to-last play before the snap, even though it was after an incomplete pass. Just adds insult to injury.
B
BroncoBot
bennyhaha wrote:
to run after a delay of game penalty? Because after that Utah delay of game penalty the clock started to run about 15 seconds off the clock.

I was actually looking that up as soon as I noticed that. Unfortunately, I didn't complete my research and don't have an answer. When they were called for the DOG, I thought well at least the clock stops. Then, the clock started to run.



THEN I though, why doesn't Utah just take 2 more delay of games and run more clock? They were already backed up.
B
bennyhaha
That was exactly my thought. If the clock is going to run after the delay of game you could just keep taking delay of game penalties and run the clock out.
Advertisement
R
rblack
The answer is yes.

Per the NCAA rulebook:

e. Starts on the Referee’s Signal. For each of the following reasons, the game

clock is stopped on an official’s signal. If the next play begins with a snap, the

game clock will start on the referee’s signal:

1. Team A is awarded a first down, either through play or by penalty.

2. A Team A forward fumble goes out of bounds.

3. Other than with fewer than two minutes remaining in a half, a Team A

ball carrier, fumble or backward pass is ruled out of bounds.

4. To complete a penalty (Exception: Rule 3-4-4-c).

5. An injury timeout is allowed for one or more players or an official

(A.R. 3-3-5-I-V).

6. An inadvertent whistle is sounded.

7. A possible first-down measurement.

8. A delay in making the ball ready for play is caused by both teams (A.R.

3-3-1-III).

9. A live ball comes into possession of an official.

10. A head coach’s conference or instant-replay challenge is requested.

11. The referee grants a media timeout.

12. The referee declares a discretionary timeout.

13. The referee declares a timeout for unfair noise (Rule 9-2-1-b-6 ).

14. An illegal pass is thrown to conserve time (A.R. 7-3-2-II-VII)

(Exception: Rule 3-4-4-c).

15. The referee interrupts the 40/25-second count.



According to item #4 above, when a penalty is called, the clock starts on the referee's signal.

If you would like to examine the rulebook for a rule that proves me wrong, it is available here:

http://www.ncaapublications.com/p-4229-2011-2012-football-rule-book-2-year-publication.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
M
Mingjai
I vote bad call on the refs and I pointed this out during the running game commentary on this site. According to Approved Ruling 3-4-3-I:



"In an attempt to consume time in the fourth period, Team A stalls and the play clock expires. RULING: Foul for delay of game. Penalty—Five yards from the succeeding spot. The clock starts on the snap."
R
rblack
Mingjai wrote:
I vote bad call on the refs and I pointed this out during the running game commentary on this site. According to Approved Ruling 3-4-3-I:



"In an attempt to consume time in the fourth period, Team A stalls and the play clock expires. RULING: Foul for delay of game. Penalty—Five yards from the succeeding spot. The clock starts on the snap."

Where do you get your wording? In the rulebook, Article 3-4-3 reads as follows:

Unfair Clock Tactics

ARTICLE 3. The referee shall order the game clock or play clock started or

stopped whenever either team conserves or consumes playing time by tactics

obviously unfair. This includes starting the game clock on the snap if the foul is

by the team ahead in the score. The game clock will start on the ready-for-play

signal after Team A throws an illegal forward or backward pass to conserve time

(Rule 3-3-2-e-14) (A.R. 3-4-3-I-V).

This would indicate that it is a judgement call as to whether or not it is a tactic rather than simply running out of time.
M
Mingjai
rblack wrote:
I vote bad call on the refs and I pointed this out during the running game commentary on this site. According to Approved Ruling 3-4-3-I:



"In an attempt to consume time in the fourth period, Team A stalls and the play clock expires. RULING: Foul for delay of game. Penalty—Five yards from the succeeding spot. The clock starts on the snap."

Where do you get your wording? In the rulebook, Article 3-4-3 reads as follows:

Unfair Clock Tactics

ARTICLE 3. The referee shall order the game clock or play clock started or

stopped whenever either team conserves or consumes playing time by tactics

obviously unfair. This includes starting the game clock on the snap if the foul is

by the team ahead in the score. The game clock will start on the ready-for-play

signal after Team A throws an illegal forward or backward pass to conserve time

(Rule 3-3-2-e-14) (A.R. 3-4-3-I-V).

This would indicate that it is a judgement call as to whether or not it is a tactic rather than simply running out of time.


It's at the end of the rulebook with all the other approved rulings. I suppose the fact that it's an approved ruling indicates that it's discretionary, but I would expect any good ref would follow this ruling as a matter of course in the fourth quarter.
R
rblack
Mingjai wrote:
Mingjai wrote:
I vote bad call on the refs and I pointed this out during the running game commentary on this site. According to Approved Ruling 3-4-3-I:



"In an attempt to consume time in the fourth period, Team A stalls and the play clock expires. RULING: Foul for delay of game. Penalty—Five yards from the succeeding spot. The clock starts on the snap."

Where do you get your wording? In the rulebook, Article 3-4-3 reads as follows:

Unfair Clock Tactics

ARTICLE 3. The referee shall order the game clock or play clock started or

stopped whenever either team conserves or consumes playing time by tactics

obviously unfair. This includes starting the game clock on the snap if the foul is

by the team ahead in the score. The game clock will start on the ready-for-play

signal after Team A throws an illegal forward or backward pass to conserve time

(Rule 3-3-2-e-14) (A.R. 3-4-3-I-V).

This would indicate that it is a judgement call as to whether or not it is a tactic rather than simply running out of time.


It's at the end of the rulebook with all the other approved rulings. I suppose the fact that it's an approved ruling indicates that it's discretionary, but I would expect any good ref would follow this ruling as a matter of course in the fourth quarter.

I agree.
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.