Archived Topic

Will this be Lark's coming out party?

by Lawboy · 9/14/2012

Advertisement
L
Lawboy
Hearing more and more buzz that it will be Lark v Hays Tomorrow night, and that RN's back issues are worse than being reported.



I am sure that RN will do everyting he can to be ready to go, with back problems are MAJOR issues. If you have had them you know what I mean. You do not move without pain, and it can also cause weakness in the arms/legs.



As mentioned, this is the buzz, but it has gotten louder and louder as the week has gone on. Similar to the buz that White and Rowe are out for Utah.



Both sides are keeping things really quiet, and BYU is limiting player interviews this week. BYU is basically on lock down prepping for this one.



Can't wait.
G
Guest
Yikes, if that's the case, looks like we'll be looking at another loss.
L
Lawboy
Another loss?? Lark > Hays.



Make no mistake about it.
G
Guest
Lawboy wrote:
Another loss?? Lark > Hays.



Make no mistake about it.


No question Lark > Hays. They aren't even in the same ball park.



I still think it's a serious blow to our chances.
I
IowaCougar
I think Lark has the talent to do well. The only question is whether he can inspire the team the way Riley can. Will the team respond well if Riley is out? My guess is that they would rally around Lark and do their best, but it might have a different feel. 50-50.
Advertisement
L
Lawboy
IowaCougar wrote:
I think Lark has the talent to do well. The only question is whether he can inspire the team the way Riley can. Will the team respond well if Riley is out? My guess is that they would rally around Lark and do their best, but it might have a different feel. 50-50.


I guess I give the team more credit that that. The defense is fillied with senior leaders and playmakers and they will bring it whether RN plays or not. Guys like Tree, Kav, Sampson, P Hadley, Manu, Tialavea and Fuga--and they all want to win badly.



On O, we are still more raw, but I guess that means that dudes gotta step up. If Lark can just make a few keys plays and limit mistakes--basically manage game if called upon, we win. Only way Utah wins is if we turn it over, whether RN plays or not.
T
TrueBlueNoU
I know Lark has paid his dues, and he has a great arm, would love to see him play, if RN isn't able to go tomorrow night.



HOWEVER, if I really want to win this game, and throw the Yewts for a loop, Doman brings in Hill, as we've already seen his running abilities, and he's got a great arm. When he's been in the games this year, you feel he's a "gamer", the future looks bright (he's not afraid of contact, Heap's big downfall).



I think Hill would shine tomorrow night, he looks the part, and it would be fun to watch the Yewts try to stop him, as he runs around in the pocket, buys time, then hits one of several targets in Hoffman, Apo, Friel, etc.



Who knows what will happen, hopefully RN can play and make a mark on his senior season, but if I'm Doman and want to win without RN in the game, I'm going with Hill.



And this is why I'm not a coach and will watch on my HD big screen TV tomorrow night!
N
northerncougar
TrueBlueNoU wrote:
I know Lark has paid his dues, and he has a great arm, would love to see him play, if RN isn't able to go tomorrow night.



HOWEVER, if I really want to win this game, and throw the Yewts for a loop, Doman brings in Hill, as we've already seen his running abilities, and he's got a great arm. When he's been in the games this year, you feel he's a "gamer", the future looks bright (he's not afraid of contact, Heap's big downfall).



I think Hill would shine tomorrow night, he looks the part, and it would be fun to watch the Yewts try to stop him, as he runs around in the pocket, buys time, then hits one of several targets in Hoffman, Apo, Friel, etc.



Who knows what will happen, hopefully RN can play and make a mark on his senior season, but if I'm Doman and want to win without RN in the game, I'm going with Hill.



And this is why I'm not a coach and will watch on my HD big screen TV tomorrow night!


Uh, Hill would get destroyed tomorrow. The difference between a couple plays against Weber St. (which he made some mistakes) and the starter in a rivalry game is massive. Starting Hill tomorrow would be a guaranteed loss.



I watched the state championship game when Nelson and Lark played against each other and I said to my wife that we recruited the wrong guy. Riley is much better than Lark and we are in serious trouble tomorrow if Riley can't go.
C
Cougarbib
northerncougar wrote:
I know Lark has paid his dues, and he has a great arm, would love to see him play, if RN isn't able to go tomorrow night.



HOWEVER, if I really want to win this game, and throw the Yewts for a loop, Doman brings in Hill, as we've already seen his running abilities, and he's got a great arm. When he's been in the games this year, you feel he's a "gamer", the future looks bright (he's not afraid of contact, Heap's big downfall).



I think Hill would shine tomorrow night, he looks the part, and it would be fun to watch the Yewts try to stop him, as he runs around in the pocket, buys time, then hits one of several targets in Hoffman, Apo, Friel, etc.



Who knows what will happen, hopefully RN can play and make a mark on his senior season, but if I'm Doman and want to win without RN in the game, I'm going with Hill.



And this is why I'm not a coach and will watch on my HD big screen TV tomorrow night!


Uh, Hill would get destroyed tomorrow. The difference between a couple plays against Weber St. (which he made some mistakes) and the starter in a rivalry game is massive. Starting Hill tomorrow would be a guaranteed loss.



I watched the state championship game when Nelson and Lark played against each other and I said to my wife that we recruited the wrong guy. Riley is much better than Lark and we are in serious trouble tomorrow if Riley can't go.


Much has been posted about mis-management of QBs as of late and I totally disagree with most of it - but BYU missed chances to get Riley experience in 2009 and missed chances in 2010 and 2011 to get Lark experience. This year they are doing better - but neither Lark nor Hill are battle tested.



Hill is not ready. It takes time. He hit a wide open receiver. He ran for a 1-yard TD. All good. Very good. He was 1-1 vs WSU1 and 1-3 vs WSU2 which makes 2-4 and .500 - lowest percentage of all 3 BYU QBs. We have had to call time-out two or three times when he has come in. Not necessarily his fault - maybe would clean up if he was always in - but untested. If needed, I am sure he will give it his best and I will wish him the best.



I hope Riley is good to go. Barring that, I hope Lark is good to go and Hill gets to let the cat out of the bag, often.
R
redneckjedi
The way I see it, our offense could do nothing but kneel 3 times and punt or kick a field goal all day long, and we still might win this game. Our defense is going to be incredible this game, and our punt returns have also been pretty good so far. I 100% believe that our defense and return game is going to set us up with some short fields tomorrow, and as long as our offense and kick cover does not return the favor, Utah will be hard pressed to get many points.



Therefore, if Riley is out, I'm actually not that worried. Heck, maybe it's even better - you prepare all week for Riley, with designed runs and short passes - and you get Lark, who is going to expose your lack of attention to the passing game? I dunno, maybe it works to our advantage. But still, unless he's in a back brace, I'm betting #13 takes the field tomorrow.
Advertisement
C
Cougarpoke
Riley would be the best bet under these circumstances. Lark could be good, but he doesn't have a lot experience, and with this game, one would need it (Brett Ratliff is an exception). Despite who the starter is, the run game will be key to the cougars offense, but more so if Lark is starting and Nelson is not able to play.
F
fifthqb
Lark will be fine.



I've obviously been the biggest Lark homer on the board for years now. I was happy to see him play against Weber. He looked great to me. Offensively, I think we take a hit this week. Not because Lark isn't talented enough, because he is, but because the timing and and mesh just won't be there in the first time they take the field together.



If Lark does come out the starter, I expect a pretty run-heavy offense. With limited throws by Lark. Yes, this is a little homeristic, but people calling for Hill tomorrow are a little crazy for me. You are complaining about Lark not having experience and you want to throw the freshman to the wolves? Yes, the kid is a talented runner, but every pass he threw against Weber was terrible. He's not ready. Potential for the future, yes, but as our every play QB right now he is simply not ready.



Also, let me comment on the state championship game for the 100th time on this board. You can't even compare Lark's team vs. Riley's team. Lark had some offensive weapons but anyone that watched that game would have seen Lark basically being sacked by the time he had the ball snapped to him and Riley having ample time to do what he wanted to. Also, Riley's team was much better coached. Lark was clearly the better prospect (Bigger, Faster, Stronger, Better Arm etc).



Riley has earned his spot as the starting QB at BYU, and I hope he is healthy and ready to go. If not, Lark is our best chance to win. I would expect to see him play 2/3rd's of the plays with Hill coming in for a couple plays every other series or so to keep people on their toes. I think it's funny to hear ardent fans throwing in the towel (calling out Hawking is never a good idea), because we potentially might have to start a much more talented second string quaterback than the second string quarterback that the U is going to start. It's going to be a low scoring game, but I like BYU's chances to win in a field position battle and I give us the slight edge on defense. Hay's will give us a pick or two. Hopefully we get up early and Lark can manage the game to win by not making mistakes.
S
Stirfry
Lawboy wrote:
I think Lark has the talent to do well. The only question is whether he can inspire the team the way Riley can. Will the team respond well if Riley is out? My guess is that they would rally around Lark and do their best, but it might have a different feel. 50-50.


I guess I give the team more credit that that. The defense is fillied with senior leaders and playmakers and they will bring it whether RN plays or not.


I would've bought into this 100% until last years game.



Really hoping this is just a rumor that's gotten out of control. I really like Lark but I really, really want to win this game tomorrow. I'm not a beleiver that due to Wynn and White being out/hurt it dampers the win. If Whittingham raids all of the quality position players in his 2nd string and puts them on defense I don't think there's much excuse for having a D-2 QB and an overused RB. I want to see cougars by 45 tomorrow.
B
BoiseBYU
IowaCougar wrote:
I think Lark has the talent to do well. The only question is whether he can inspire the team the way Riley can. Will the team respond well if Riley is out? My guess is that they would rally around Lark and do their best, but it might have a different feel. 50-50.


From a distance, Lark looks like he can and has inspired--He comes off as a team guy--and that the team will rally around him. Maybe it is my bad eyes, but Lark looks faster than Rily....Is that true? I have a lot of confidence in Lark and I think the team does too....
C
Cougarbib
BoiseBYU wrote:
I think Lark has the talent to do well. The only question is whether he can inspire the team the way Riley can. Will the team respond well if Riley is out? My guess is that they would rally around Lark and do their best, but it might have a different feel. 50-50.


From a distance, Lark looks like he can and has inspired--He comes off as a team guy--and that the team will rally around him. Maybe it is my bad eyes, but Lark looks faster than Rily....Is that true? I have a lot of confidence in Lark and I think the team does too....


Confidence is the only question. They will have less confidence than they have in Riley due to experience difference. Hays has experience. Won a bowl game. Has - depending on who's ankle report you believe - a very good runner to rely on.



It is going to be a very tough game. I can't wait. I am gonna strap on the radar detector and go to the game.
Advertisement
G
Guest
Please wear blue.
Q
Qman
BoiseBYU wrote:
I think Lark has the talent to do well. The only question is whether he can inspire the team the way Riley can. Will the team respond well if Riley is out? My guess is that they would rally around Lark and do their best, but it might have a different feel. 50-50.


From a distance, Lark looks like he can and has inspired--He comes off as a team guy--and that the team will rally around him. Maybe it is my bad eyes, but Lark looks faster than Rily....Is that true? I have a lot of confidence in Lark and I think the team does too....


I thought the same thing during the Weber St. Lark is faster but Nelson has better balance.
I
IowaCougar
Qman wrote:
IowaCougar wrote:
I think Lark has the talent to do well. The only question is whether he can inspire the team the way Riley can. Will the team respond well if Riley is out? My guess is that they would rally around Lark and do their best, but it might have a different feel. 50-50.


From a distance, Lark looks like he can and has inspired--He comes off as a team guy--and that the team will rally around him. Maybe it is my bad eyes, but Lark looks faster than Rily....Is that true? I have a lot of confidence in Lark and I think the team does too....


I thought the same thing during the Weber St. Lark is faster but Nelson has better balance.

I didn't mean to imply that the team wouldn't respond well. But sometimes a player just has a way of getting more out of people. To most of us, Lark is an unknown commodity. I did like what I saw last week, however!
I
IowaCougar
By the way, I haven't seen anything of this rumor in the media. Usually these things will get picked up somewhere. Has anyone seen anything?
C
Cougarbib
hawkwing wrote:
Please wear blue.


I am hoping for a White Out
Page 1 of 4
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.