Archived Topic

Confirmed. Jordan Wynn's career over

by DarthMagnus · 9/10/2012

Advertisement
D
DarthMagnus
I wish him and his family the best. Always sad to see someone's dream and career come to an end that way.



Does this improve or worsen our chances?
G
Guest
Tough day for Wynn. Hate for this to happen, but better to get out before your body is irreparably damaged and it may already be too late for that.



I also think this worsens BYU's chances to come away with the win. But not by much.
H
hypercoug
Worsen. Hays is a better QB than Wynn.
G
Guest
hypercoug wrote:
Worsen. Hays is a better QB than Wynn.


Hays isn't even as good as their freshman. He'll play most of the game, I wager, with Hays starting.
S
SpiffCoug
This improves our chances. Utah is going to have awful QB play on Saturday.
Advertisement
J
jonnylingo
hawkwing wrote:
Worsen. Hays is a better QB than Wynn.


Hays isn't even as good as their freshman. He'll play most of the game, I wager, with Hays starting.


are you saying hayes will start but wilson will play more? i would be surprised if wilson plays much. i suspect hayes plays most of the game with wilson coming in every now and then. i guess if hayes is really sucking though they will roll the dice with a change.
J
jonnylingo
SpiffCoug wrote:
This improves our chances. Utah is going to have awful QB play on Saturday.


it is probably a wash. hayes and wynn suck and wilson is too young to be effective. they are in a tough position offensively this year. how in the world did the media predict utah would go 11-1.
G
Guest
jonnylingo wrote:
hypercoug wrote:
Worsen. Hays is a better QB than Wynn.


Hays isn't even as good as their freshman. He'll play most of the game, I wager, with Hays starting.


are you saying hayes will start but wilson will play more? i would be surprised if wilson plays much. i suspect hayes plays most of the game with wilson coming in every now and then. i guess if hayes is really sucking though they will roll the dice with a change.


Yes, I expect Hayes to come out and start, play 2 series or so, and then switch to Wilson.
J
jonnylingo
hawkwing wrote:
hawkwing wrote:
Worsen. Hays is a better QB than Wynn.


Hays isn't even as good as their freshman. He'll play most of the game, I wager, with Hays starting.


are you saying hayes will start but wilson will play more? i would be surprised if wilson plays much. i suspect hayes plays most of the game with wilson coming in every now and then. i guess if hayes is really sucking though they will roll the dice with a change.


Yes, I expect Hayes to come out and start, play 2 series or so, and then switch to Wilson.


hmmmm. interesting. What makes you think that? Hayes has a lot more experience starting. I would think Johnson would be more comfortable with him running the show. Wilson is kind of a newbie. I assumed they wouldn't go to him aside from his every now and then play unless Hayes just wasn't getting it done. I would be surprised to see wilson playing more than a play or two in the first quarter.
L
Lawboy
It means that Utah will try to win with defense. So expect ground and pound from Utah, even if they punt 8 times. They will play field position, ball control and then take some shots down the field to challenge us deep. Wazzu hit 2x deep (both called back for a hold), and WSU hit deep as well.



In other words, expect Raider ball. Al Davis will be proud.
Advertisement
G
Guest
jonnylingo wrote:
jonnylingo wrote:
hypercoug wrote:
Worsen. Hays is a better QB than Wynn.


Hays isn't even as good as their freshman. He'll play most of the game, I wager, with Hays starting.


are you saying hayes will start but wilson will play more? i would be surprised if wilson plays much. i suspect hayes plays most of the game with wilson coming in every now and then. i guess if hayes is really sucking though they will roll the dice with a change.


Yes, I expect Hayes to come out and start, play 2 series or so, and then switch to Wilson.


hmmmm. interesting. What makes you think that? Hayes has a lot more experience starting. I would think Johnson would be more comfortable with him running the show. Wilson is kind of a newbie. I assumed they wouldn't go to him aside from his every now and then play unless Hayes just wasn't getting it done. I would be surprised to see wilson playing more than a play or two in the first quarter.


I agree, he has a lot more experience starting but I think there are going to be 2 key reasons they replace him.



1. Injury, I think they will try to keep the ball out of his hands as much as possible, but I don't think he can last very long without getting injured.

2. Interceptions. I don't think they will throw the ball much, but eventually they will have to, and I think we'll pick him off.
Y
Y 4 Ever
SpiffCoug wrote:
This improves our chances. Utah is going to have awful QB play on Saturday.


I remember thinking this same thing in 2005. With the difference being Ratliff had absolutely no d1 experience.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
J
jonnylingo
hawkwing wrote:
hawkwing wrote:
hawkwing wrote:
Worsen. Hays is a better QB than Wynn.


Hays isn't even as good as their freshman. He'll play most of the game, I wager, with Hays starting.


are you saying hayes will start but wilson will play more? i would be surprised if wilson plays much. i suspect hayes plays most of the game with wilson coming in every now and then. i guess if hayes is really sucking though they will roll the dice with a change.


Yes, I expect Hayes to come out and start, play 2 series or so, and then switch to Wilson.


hmmmm. interesting. What makes you think that? Hayes has a lot more experience starting. I would think Johnson would be more comfortable with him running the show. Wilson is kind of a newbie. I assumed they wouldn't go to him aside from his every now and then play unless Hayes just wasn't getting it done. I would be surprised to see wilson playing more than a play or two in the first quarter.


I agree, he has a lot more experience starting but I think there are going to be 2 key reasons they replace him.



1. Injury, I think they will try to keep the ball out of his hands as much as possible, but I don't think he can last very long without getting injured.

2. Interceptions. I don't think they will throw the ball much, but eventually they will have to, and I think we'll pick him off.


wilson is definitely a more risky move. I see them playing as safe as possible as long as they can. Throwing wilson into this game would be a serious risk. he doesn't know their offense really well and has never played against a defense as good as byu's.



is haye's injury prone? why would they bench him for fear of injury? is it because you think they don't care about the byu game? as much as their conference schedule? is hayes more likely to throw a pick than wilson? I am not seeing what you are seeing.
G
Guest
jonnylingo wrote:

I agree, he has a lot more experience starting but I think there are going to be 2 key reasons they replace him.



1. Injury, I think they will try to keep the ball out of his hands as much as possible, but I don't think he can last very long without getting injured.

2. Interceptions. I don't think they will throw the ball much, but eventually they will have to, and I think we'll pick him off.


wilson is definitely a more risky move. I see them playing as safe as possible as long as they can. Throwing wilson into this game would be a serious risk. he doesn't know their offense really well and has never played against a defense as good as byu's.



is haye's injury prone? why would they bench him for fear of injury? is it because you think they don't care about the byu game? as much as their conference schedule? is hayes more likely to throw a pick than wilson? I am not seeing what you are seeing.


I think they're more likely to go with Wilson because they care more about this game than the conference season. It's their best chance to win, in my opinion. But it's not an opinion formed on hours of research, just watching a bit of last season after Wynn went out and the USU game this year, and some gut reactions.
S
SpiffCoug
Y 4 Ever wrote:
This improves our chances. Utah is going to have awful QB play on Saturday.


I remember thinking this same thing in 2005. With the difference being Ratliff had absolutely no d1 experience.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">

Signed BYU's worst pass defense in at least a decade. BYU's defensive PER was 144.77. Since that season, our defensive PERs have been: 106.59, 110.34, 128.91, 118.63, 116.05, 112.58 and 98.51 so far this year.



I'll be very surprised if Utah is within 20 points of a 144 PER.
Advertisement
B
BroncoBot
SpiffCoug wrote:
SpiffCoug wrote:
This improves our chances. Utah is going to have awful QB play on Saturday.


I remember thinking this same thing in 2005. With the difference being Ratliff had absolutely no d1 experience.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">

Signed BYU's worst pass defense in at least a decade. BYU's defensive PER was 144.77. Since that season, our defensive PERs have been: 106.59, 110.34, 128.91, 118.63, 116.05, 112.58 and 98.51 so far this year.



I'll be very surprised if Utah is within 20 points of a 144 PER.

Keys to the game!

- Keep Utah PER <100

- <1 Turnover (I'd be happy with just winning turnover margin)

- <40 yards penalties.



Guaranteed win for BYU!!!
B
BYULV
BroncoBot wrote:
Y 4 Ever wrote:
This improves our chances. Utah is going to have awful QB play on Saturday.


I remember thinking this same thing in 2005. With the difference being Ratliff had absolutely no d1 experience.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">

Signed BYU's worst pass defense in at least a decade. BYU's defensive PER was 144.77. Since that season, our defensive PERs have been: 106.59, 110.34, 128.91, 118.63, 116.05, 112.58 and 98.51 so far this year.



I'll be very surprised if Utah is within 20 points of a 144 PER.

Keys to the game!

- Keep Utah PER <100

- <1 Turnover (I'd be happy with just winning turnover margin)

- <40 yards penalties.



Guaranteed win for BYU!!!


I agree with low Defensive PER and + turnover margin. Disagree about penalties. I don't think penalties usually make all that much difference over a game. We could get >100 yds in penalties called on us and I wouldn't be surprised to still see us win. The key with penalties is not to get drive killing penalties.
C
Cougs_Rule
Sad for Any football player who has invested so much. Best to him.

This doesn't change our chances at all. If anything he was a liability. Nw the team can move on and the other qb''s can get all the reps.

Wilson is a lot like THill. Being him in for special situations and in the meantime create extra reps to prep for next year.



If Riley can be patient and not hurt himself making unnecessary hits and not chuck any desperate passes--NOT TURN THE BALL OVER-- we win this game!
C
Cougarbib
If Riley pushes the envelope and throws four CHUCKERS and 3 work and 1 getss picked - that would work too.



Riley will, however, most likely play a ball-control game unless another part of the team folds and puts us in a hole - if that happens, Riley will pull out all of the stops and try to win - and get the blame.



Riley and the offense are not the key to this game. They just need to be adequate and I do not expect them to be any more than that. Special Teams and Defenses on really good teams score points and do not yield points. These are the keys.



Create turnovers.

Create field position advantage.

Make Utah try to go the length of the field every time and burn clock

Punt and cover.

Get some decent returns.

Make our field goals (my biggest worry)

Move the chains and eat clock



10-7 Baby.
K
kjjson
Y 4 Ever wrote:
This improves our chances. Utah is going to have awful QB play on Saturday.


I remember thinking this same thing in 2005. With the difference being Ratliff had absolutely no d1 experience.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


Don't forget that Ratliff was an NFL calibur quarterback (interesting that Brian Johnson couldn't make it, but Ratliff did). We have seen Hays and he hasn't shown me anything that makes me think that he will go onto the NFL.
Page 1 of 2
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.