Archived Topic

Cougar Corner Power Rankings

by Isola · 9/10/2012

Advertisement
I
Isola
The idea discussed last week was to have a thread where we discussed Top 25 teams for a couple days and then on Wednesday we attempt some sort of poll, after the arguments have been made.



Here are my initial thoughts from the weekend. (Admittedly I didn't catch hardly any games due to my dad being in the hospital and my nephew being baptized.) By the way, I am not going to waste time discussing teams with losses until there are fewer undefeated, or if it was a close loss to a top ranked team. The regular season is supposed to be the playoffs, so they are out of the running for me, for now.



Alabama is elite.

USC gave up a bunch of points, but they did travel all the way across the country to be someone's super bowl. It would be like Bama traveling to one of the Oregon or Washington schools, and I can't think of the last time that happened. If it did ever happen it wouldn't surprise me if they gave up more points.

LSU dominated a decent UW team. Impressive.

Oregon gave up too many points at home to Fresno State. Not a good sign for their future.

Georgia. I don't think too much of Mizzou, but doubling them up on the road is pretty impressive. That caught my attention.

UCLA is a surprise for me. I doubt they are a national power, but they could challenge in the Pac 12 south.
M
Mars


Link to last week's discussion:

http://cougarcorner.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=12794" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;



My Week 2 Top 25:

1. Alabama

2. LSU

3. Oregon

4. USC

5. Florida State

6. West Virginia

7. Clemson

8. Kansas State

9. Ohio State

10. Michigan State

11. Georgia

12. Oklahoma

13. Notre Dame

14. South Carolina

15. Virginia Tech

16. Baylor

17. TCU

18. Boise State

19. Michigan

20. Texas

21. BYU

22. Arizona State

23. UCLA

24. Stanford

25. Arizona
I
Isola
Six Pac-12 teams ranked in your top 25. I'm not sure I have as much faith in the Pac-12, but then again 4 are the last 4, which is just about anyone's guess.

6 Big 12 teams too.

But only 4 SEC teams. Interesting, but I don't disagree.

3 Big Ten teams.

2 ACC teams.



It is still early in the season and teams still have a lot to prove. Plus after the top elite teams I think there is a bunch of parity, so I don't sweat the numbers that much.



The only thing I disagree with is I think Michigan is ranked too high. They looked powerless against Alabama and scraped by Air Force at home. I think they live and die too much with Denard Robinson. Against AFA he accounted for all but 7 of their yards. He was all but 42 yards against Bama. He is a special player, but I think their reliance on him is going to cost them 2-3 more games this year. Then again that might be good enough for #19.
M
Mars


BYU was basically the last team on my list that felt deserving.



The SEC has a bunch of "almosts" in my mind. Tennessee, Florida, Mississippi State, Vandy. Maybe good. Maybe not.



Same goes with teams like Northwestern, Ohio, Louisiana-Monroe, Utah State, Louisiana Tech, Oregon State, Louisville, Cincy, Georgia Tech, etc. These things are hard after just 2 weeks.
I
Isola
Yeah, that it is why it is easier for me to think in terms of tiers. We arbitrarily pick 25 teams, and being 25 and being just off the list is a big deal, but the difference in those teams is pretty minimal.



I think the difference between LSU and Florida State might be as big as the difference between West Virginia and Arizona State.
Advertisement
G
Guest
I have to admit that I'm waiting another week or 2 before adding my thoughts to the rankings, it's just so early I can't tell who's legit yet.
I
Isola
I was traveling again this weekend, but a couple things really stuck out to me.



Oregon shutting out Arizona is impressive. You know Oregon is going to put up points, but if they really get a defense then look out.



I am not impressed with Ohio State. They may not be overrated because there may not be 16 teams better than them, but they are not elite.



On a not Top 25 note, I am really impressed with Western Kentucky. They just made the leap to FBS a few years ago and they are 3-1 with their lone loss coming against Alabama, where they held Bama to their lowest points this season (35). Wins over Kentucky and Southern Miss. Not bad for an upstart.



And Utah could be bringing up the rear in the Pac-12. Unfortunately they are nevertheless our daddy.
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.