Archived Topic

Reasons To Not Hate U - Poll

by Cougarbib · 9/10/2012

Advertisement
C
Cougarbib
There is much hatred in rivalries. Yet there may be some good reasons not to hate - or at least try to conceal any hatred.



What are the best reasons. Please elaborate.
C
Cougarbib
Normally this is an easy question for me. I attended and graduated from both schools. BYU is my clear favorite. And a recent comment someone posted on a D News article - after Utes were bagging on their own players and coaches - deja vu - pointed out that true fans support their own players and fans and put their energy there instead od putting energy into rooting gainst other teams. And it seems like The Christian Thing To Do.



This year my best friend's wife scored a trip to Italy and I scored her 50 yard-line seat to the homecoming game.



I will probably behave myself due to the circumstances - which is why this is not the first time and will not be the last time this happens. My friend behaves himself too - and especially when I have invited him to LES.
U
Ungoy
In my opinion, there is no reason not to hate the :utard:.



I hate them, I freely admit it. Their smugness, the false sense of PAC-12 superiority, the negativity that seethes from their fans. There is nothing I like about the :utard: football program. Their coaches are classless, their players are classless, their fans are classless. I have nothing good to say about them.
C
CrimsonCoug
I don't hate the football team. I'm mostly indifferent, but I like to see other members of my faith do well, and I've had some good friends and now a brother-in-law who are Ute grads. But I despise some of their "fans" as insufferable uncivil twerps.
K
KingCoug
Hate 'em. End of story.
Advertisement
S
Stirfry
They saved my sons life in the NICU when he was 7 weeks early.



That's definately put a wrench in my rivalry week fun at the Utes expense.
B
BoiseBYU
I don't think you have to hate them to want to beat them and soundly....Some of my best friends are Ute fans and I have family who went there, and they're pretty all right too. Still want to crush them though!
U
urroner
I enjoy watching :utard: football, it keeps me amused.



http://cdn3.sbnation.com/imported_assets/830044/yUA0k.jpg" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_91tyodMgXeo/SxYYY19CxXI/AAAAAAAAAtM/XfutkTtH2Q0/s320/George.jpg" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">





And watching its fans also:



http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_f0bvyZMrZ9k/SvZj2KErzNI/AAAAAAAAC6E/s2_ZLQFegsw/s400/utah-fan.jpg" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">

http://www.screwtheu.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/Utah_Utes_Indian.jpg" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
A
ABYUFAN
My good friend ran track for the Y back in the late 60's early 70's. According to him, the Utes were big fat jerks way back then too.
V
vancouvercougar
ABYUFAN wrote:
My good friend ran track for the Y back in the late 60's early 70's. According to him, the Utes were big fat jerks way back then too.


They've gotten worse. A losing season or 2 may bring them around--Nah probably not.
Advertisement
M
mizzoucoug
Other: I live in Texas and have no reason to really care except that losing to an in-state rival invariably affects recruiting. BYU needs to take care of business to build the program further.
I
Isola
I like the USA-Canada rivalry in Hockey. Fierce competition, but mutual respect.



Rivalries become less fun when there is an inferiority or superiority complex. USA-Mexico in soccer is a case of that. That rivalry is pretty nasty.



Utah made the remarkable leap from having an inferiority complex pre-Urban Meyer to have a superiority complex post-Meyer/Pac-12.



Still I'm not going to hate them. It isn't worth the effort, and I don't want to be that guy.
S
Schmoe
Classless fans, cocky players who are overconfident because they're in a mediocre conference.
U
urroner
Isola wrote:
I like the USA-Canada rivalry in Hockey. Fierce competition, but mutual respect.



Rivalries become less fun when there is an inferiority or superiority complex. USA-Mexico in soccer is a case of that. That rivalry is pretty nasty.



Utah made the remarkable leap from having an inferiority complex pre-Urban Meyer to have a superiority complex post-Meyer/Pac-12.



Still I'm not going to hate them. It isn't worth the effort, and I don't want to be that guy.


You fool, come over to the Navy Blue side, use your aggressive feelings, boy. Let the hate flow through you. Feel the hate flowing through you. Embrace it, let it control you! Give in to the hatred and strike them down. You can only destroy dem pukes with your hatred! I feel the conflict within you. Let go of your hate.



Isola, I don't know who you are. I don't know what you want. If you are looking for ransom, I can tell you I don't have money. But what I do have are a very particular set of skills; skills I have acquired over a very long career. Skills that make me a nightmare for people like you. If you let my daughter go now, that'll be the end of it. I will not look for you, I will not pursue you. But if you don't, I will look for you, I will find you, and I will kill you.....Whoops, wrong scary quote, sorry.
Y
Ygridiron4ever
I voted for other, and here is why. But first, please forgive me; I am probably not the biggest BYU football fan in the world, BUT there is not another sports team - college, ameteure, or pro, that I like anywhere close to how much I LOVE BYU football. I dont know how to love BYU football more...I think about it all year long, and Game day is the best day of the week (or worst when BYU loses). I have such fond memories of loving BYU football with my father when i was young and we were raking leaves and listeing to Paul James on KSL. I vist Cougar Corner every single day, but I rarely post. I have Masters and Ph.D. degrees from the Y and they have served me well. I'm a homer.



That being said, my roles as a father of young sons, young mens president, and police psychologist all dedicated to ending hate, prompt me to give this piece from an FBI Bulletin. Especially on this 9/11 anniversary.



Hate, a complex subject, divides into two general categories: rational and irrational. Unjust acts inspire rational hate. Hatred of a person based on race, religion, sexual orientation, ethnicity, or national origin constitutes irrational hate.

Both rational and irrational hate mask personal insecurities. Everyone experiences personal insecurities in varying degrees throughout their lives. The more insecure a person feels, the larger the hate mask. Most people concentrate on the important issues in life, such as earning a living, rearing a family, and achieving personal goals. These pursuits give meaning and value to life. Nonetheless, irrational hate bleeds through day-to-day activities in the form of racial barbs and ethnic humor. Not all insecure people are haters, but all haters are insecure people.

With respect to rational hate, haters do not focus as much on the wrong done to them or others, but, rather, on their own helplessness, guilt, or inability to effect change. The object of rational hate often is despised or pitied. In the same way, irrational hate elevates the hater above the hated. Many insecure people feel a sense of self-worth by relegating a person or group of people to a lower status.



So I dont Hate the U. I hope we win resoundingly. But at this point I am choosing the calmness of acceptance over the adrenaline rush of hate.



Sorry for the digression. Carry on!
Advertisement
I
IowaCougar
As I'm teaching early-morning seminary this year, it probably makes sense that I chose "Love even those who spitefully use and abuse you - 7 times 70". I've actually done some reflection on this, and I find I have to control my natural urges to hate the Utes for the same reason I have to control my natural urges to hate those who disagree with me politically - hate, argument, and uncivil discourse won't do anything for me or for others.



I desperately want the Cougars to win, but I also want to keep the whole thing in perspective.
S
sandiegoblue
At my worst, I feel hatred at times towards the Utes. I don't like this feeling, because it's evidence of my own weakness and hypocrisy. My goal and general focus is on BYU because they are my joy and passion.
S
Stirfry
IowaCougar wrote:
I've actually done some reflection on this, and I find I have to control my natural urges to hate the Utes for the same reason I have to control my natural urges to hate those who disagree with me politically - hate, argument, and uncivil discourse won't do anything for me or for others.


I actually like this about sports. I see good friends that agree with me on basically everything else but can see a sporting event between the Utes and Cougars drastically different. It helps me recognize that when other people have a different opinion on something, especially politically, that they aren't just moron's but just see it different.
1
1967cougar
I guess I'm a bottom-dwelling scum sucker. I'd rather see the Pukes lose than BYU win. It is an on-the-surface and often expressed hatred. Of course, we ALL know there are things of much greater importance than silly rivalry stuff. But I still hate 'em! Will to my last breath. And I still take the Sacrament every week without any twinge of conscience. Wo, wo, is me, a sinner!
G
Gunk
I think all the "hate" is dumb. Not only does it take away from the game but it turns otherwise decent people into bickering teenagers where there is animosity for no apparent reason. Seriously, it's like the Middle East. Why all the hate?



I grew up in the middle of one of the nation's greatest rivalries: Stanford vs Cal. No hate. No anger. No personal attacks. Stanford and Cal alums sitting together on the same couch enjoying the same game.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
Page 1 of 2
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.