Archived Topic

Reality check BEFORE the fall....

by cougarsunited · 9/10/2012

Advertisement
C
cougarsunited
After seeing the Weber State game, I better be honest to myself and dump out all the cool-aid I have been drinking season after season until the big crash came.



In 2011, after beating Ole Miss with all the Heaps crap hype, we weren't anywhere close to what we all thought. 2009 after beating Oklahoma we all still thought we were a top national team even after we lost to Florida State, then the bang came when TCU killed us... 2008 we started 6-0, TCU destroyed us, we lost to Utah and didn't even win that sorry Vegas bowl...



It was always the best BYU team under Bronco, maybe ever... This year they all tried to keep the expectations low, rightly so, because the next two weeks might come that reality check once again, if not then, there's another back to back later in the year (you all know) when we might all have to revisit reality... I so hope that I am wrong, I always keep hoping, I have done that year after year...



BTW, how da hell do we give up 13 points to Weber State??? and only score 45???
K
KingCoug
I consider myself a BYU fan fairly grounded in reality. Reality tells me this team can go 10-3. So I expect we'll lose some time this year. Just, please, not this coming Saturday!
B
BroncoBot
Are we really complaining about beating Weber St. 45-13? I saw some concerns, but overall I like BYU's chances this Saturday.
N
northerncougar
cougarsunited wrote:
After seeing the Weber State game, I better be honest to myself and dump out all the cool-aid I have been drinking season after season until the big crash came.



In 2011, after beating Ole Miss with all the Heaps crap hype, we weren't anywhere close to what we all thought. 2009 after beating Oklahoma we all still thought we were a top national team even after we lost to Florida State, then the bang came when TCU killed us... 2008 we started 6-0, TCU destroyed us, we lost to Utah and didn't even win that sorry Vegas bowl...

It was always the best BYU team under Bronco, maybe ever... This year they all tried to keep the expectations low, rightly so, because the next two weeks might come that reality check once again, if not then, there's another back to back later in the year (you all know) when we might all have to revisit reality... I so hope that I am wrong, I always keep hoping, I have done that year after year...



BTW, how da hell do we give up 13 points to Weber State??? and only score 45???


A few thoughts:



1. The stadium was dead from the beginning. No one cared, not coaches, players, fans, cheerleaders, players mom's, girlfriends, no one, and it showed by not scoring until the end of the 1st qtr.



2. Our O-Line is terrible. At least the interior line. We absolutely suck. This is a huge, huge problem, and won't be solved until we fire Weber.



3. Riley is good at his best, poor when he is average, and horrific when he sucks. He is not, in any way a good QB. Not at all. Chuckie Keaton is better in every aspect of the game. Every single one.



4. Our RB's are not good. See #2 as that might be a huge part. I was saying all off season that Pritchard wasn't going to be the guy everyone thought he would be and I am 100% correct. He is nothing to write home about. Alisa is a very poor man's Unga. Other than not being as big, fast, or strong as Harvey, he is just fine. Williams might be good, but he is obviously a freshman.



5. We finally have a TE, but his holding cost us Saturday. Hopefully he can get that fixed.



6. We gave up a TD at the very end with our 3rd and 4th string D. Not worried about the final TD.



7. Our kicking game is really bad. It is only a matter of time before a FG or PAT is blocked. It takes about 30 minutes for our kicker to get to the ball after the snap.



8. Our D looked fine on Saturday. They are very good.
M
mizzoucoug
Well our offense just isn't that good. We've played 2 pathetic defenses so far and both games it took most of the 1st quarter to really get in a rhythm. If we couldn't hang 50 easy on Weber State then it's fair to expect that getting 28 is about the max we can expect against the good D's we'll play this year. We just don't have any gamebreakers, but hey what else is new? This is BYU. We need the D to get turnovers in our big games but that won't happen every time so yeah, we'll probably drop at least 2 the rest of the way.



Nothing about this team screams "special" at this point. And only a special team will walk into Boise, ND, and Georgia and come out with wins.
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.