Archived Topic

Is Saturday a Must Win?

by SpiffCoug · 9/10/2012

Advertisement
S
SpiffCoug
I say emphatically, "YES."
K
KingCoug
Absolutely!!!!!!!!!!!



After the last 2 years, it doesn't get more "must win" than this. Especially when there's blood in the water regarding Utah.



If we don't win this game, Bronco is this close to being Kyle's b@#ch.
L
Lawboy
Not just yes, but HELL yes.



Utah wins and it is 3 in a row. Plus this U team is just not great. Overhyped.
C
Cougarbib
It already was. Now that USU beat U - even moreso.



A 3rd consecutive loss to U will damage the program for a long time and enable U to dismiss the USU loss as a fluke - unlike BYU losing to USU and then losing to U in 2010 and BYU getting killed by U and nearly losing to USU in Provo in 2011.



BTW - The USU game is also a MUST WIN.



If Riley wins both of those after saving the Program last year - make him King.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
S
Schmoe
I will be very frustrated if we don't win, VERY frustrated, but our season isn't over if that somehow happens. So no, it isn't a must win.
Advertisement
C
Cougarbib
How do two people vote NO and not even identify themselves with a comment.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
C
Cougarbib
Schmoe wrote:
I will be very frustrated if we don't win, VERY frustrated, but our season isn't over if that somehow happens. So no, it isn't a must win.


Sorry - I posted while you were typing. BTW - I agree that the season is not over until it is over. But still call this a MUST WIN.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
Y
Y 4 Ever
This game is not only a must-win for this year, but for the short term future of the program.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
J
Jarhead
In Independence every single game is a must win. A single loss and you are no longer relevant. And come on, this is Utah. Definitely a must win, especially considering recent history.
K
KingCoug
Schmoe wrote:
I will be very frustrated if we don't win, VERY frustrated, but our season isn't over if that somehow happens. So no, it isn't a must win.


We'll have more games to play but losing to Utah for the third time in a row? Especially after we should have won at least one of the last two? With the Utes just having lost to USU and playing with a back up QB and a number of defensive starters out? There's no way to minimize or overlook that. It will be a complete catastrophe if we don't win. Sure, we'll still have more games afterwards. It's not our last game. But considering all the factors, it is a must win.



Maybe part of the problem started when some on the BYU side stopped considering the game against their arch rival a must win.
Advertisement
C
Cougs_Rule
Already well defended. YES! little Brother status awaits if we lose.

Sr QB, top 10 defense, lots of weapons, injured Utah qb, rookie and very young OC for Utah, couple suspensions and injuries to starters on D--the list is pretty long.
R
rblack
Every game is a must win. Ever game against Utah is a MUST must win.
B
BroncoBot
Schmoe wrote:
I will be very frustrated if we don't win, VERY frustrated, but our season isn't over if that somehow happens. So no, it isn't a must win.

Agreed. Every game is a must win, but even a loss won't sink the ship. All a matter of perspective. If beating utah is what you want out of BYU football, then this game is a "must win" for you. For those of us fortunate enough to not live around many ute fans, this game probably doesn't mean as much.



Having said that, I expect a win, but voted no.
C
Cougarfan87
I don't live around :utard: , but the sickness does affect members of the family I married into. At first I was going to say this was only a must win for the fans, but then I thought about Jake Murphy. If we don't want to lose good in-state recruits or otherwise, the rivalry game means a lot. We can out recruit a bottom dwelling Pac-1 team, unless we lose to them consistently.



So, I have revised my thinking and voted yes. It is a must win both for the fans and the program. That is why I believe the offense has been holding back, both once we had the WSU game in hand and in the entire WSU2 game. I think the coaches understand just how important this one is, considering next year we will be using a sophmore QB.
S
Schmoe
KingCoug wrote:
I will be very frustrated if we don't win, VERY frustrated, but our season isn't over if that somehow happens. So no, it isn't a must win.


We'll have more games to play but losing to Utah for the third time in a row? Especially after we should have won at least one of the last two? With the Utes just having lost to USU and playing with a back up QB and a number of defensive starters out? There's no way to minimize or overlook that. It will be a complete catastrophe if we don't win. Sure, we'll still have more games afterwards. It's not our last game. But considering all the factors, it is a must win.



Maybe part of the problem started when some on the BYU side stopped considering the game against their arch rival a must win.


I'm not a :utard: , I still can consider the season a success if we beat ND, GT, and BSU, go 11-1, and end ranked in the top 10. No one dislikes :utard: more than I do, but to imply that somehow it is a PROBLEM for the program because I don't think it ends our season if we don't win, that's plain ridiculous. The football team's preparation, mentality, and effort on the field has way more to do with coaching, leadership, team chemistry, and about a hundred other things before fan expectations have any effect.
Advertisement
K
KingCoug
Schmoe wrote:


I'm not a :utard: , I still can consider the season a success if we beat ND, GT, and BSU, go 11-1, and end ranked in the top 10. No one dislikes :utard: more than I do, but to imply that somehow it is a PROBLEM for the program because I don't think it ends our season if we don't win, that's plain ridiculous. The football team's preparation, mentality, and effort on the field has way more to do with coaching, leadership, team chemistry, and about a hundred other things before fan expectations have any effect.


You would have a point about going 11-1, with our only loss this year being to Utah, if the last two years had been different. But, being what they were, that's the reason this year is a must win. Especially when the Utes are so vulnerable in a number of ways.



Bottom line, no BYU fan can argue this year isn't a must win. If the rivalry game this year isn't a must win, than what the hell is???????
S
Schmoe
KingCoug wrote:


I'm not a :utard: , I still can consider the season a success if we beat ND, GT, and BSU, go 11-1, and end ranked in the top 10. No one dislikes :utard: more than I do, but to imply that somehow it is a PROBLEM for the program because I don't think it ends our season if we don't win, that's plain ridiculous. The football team's preparation, mentality, and effort on the field has way more to do with coaching, leadership, team chemistry, and about a hundred other things before fan expectations have any effect.


You would have a point about going 11-1, with our only loss this year being to Utah, if the last two years had been different. But, being what they were, that's the reason this year is a must win. Especially when the Utes are so vulnerable in a number of ways.



Bottom line, no BYU fan can argue this year isn't a must win. If the rivalry game this year isn't a must win, than what the hell is???????


I did just argue that it isn't, and I'm a Cougar fan. It's fine that you disagree with me, but I refuse to give in to the little brother mentality and consider this one game our entire season. This team is special, it will win this game, and throughout the season it will show that this is a special year in BYU football.
K
KingCoug
Schmoe wrote:
I did just argue that it isn't, and I'm a Cougar fan. It's fine that you disagree with me, but I refuse to give in to the little brother mentality and consider this one game our entire season. This team is special, it will win this game, and throughout the season it will show that this is a special year in BYU football.


It's not our entire season. But, all things considered, we could win the rest of our games but a loss to Utah this year would put a huge, dark cloud over the entire season; even finishing 12-1. That cannot be denied. And chances are, we won't go undefeated anyway. Another reason why winning this game is so important. And it's not "little brother" to consider beating your rival a must win after the last two years.
Y
Y 4 Ever
KingCoug wrote:
I did just argue that it isn't, and I'm a Cougar fan. It's fine that you disagree with me, but I refuse to give in to the little brother mentality and consider this one game our entire season. This team is special, it will win this game, and throughout the season it will show that this is a special year in BYU football.


It's not our entire season. But, all things considered, we could win the rest of our games but a loss to Utah this year would put a huge, dark cloud over the entire season; even finishing 12-1. That cannot be denied. And chances are, we won't go undefeated anyway. Another reason why winning this game is so important. And it's not "little brother" to consider beating your rival a must win after the last two years.

gotta side with king coug on this one. This game is the most important game on our schedule, and is a must win. Not that the season will be an abysmal failure if we lose, but even with an otherwise unblemished record, a loss to the yewts this year will taint the season, and continue to drive a recruiting advantage for the yewties for in state recruits.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
E
EM_Puma
Since I've lived in Utah, BYU is 4-7 vs. Puktah. Hello yes! This is a must game. They lose, then it's better we don't play Utah again because apparently the coaching staff and players don't know how to handle a rivalry football game. Let's move on to something else. I've had it having to swallow a Puktah loss 7 times in 11 years and I'm freakin tired of it!
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.