Archived Topic

SEC

by Cougarbib · 9/9/2012

Advertisement
C
Cougarbib
I weary of hearing complaints about the BYU strength of schedule and fans having to buy season tickets for extra games and lack-luster opponents.



Then I noticed that number 1 ranked Alabama opened at home Vs Michigan. I thought - wow - Alabama is not padding their schedule. And yes, they play one of the most respectable SEC schedules as does LSU.



I have not looked at the full LSU schedule yet, but noticed they had a home game Vs UW Saturday.



And even cupcakes can surprise. Ask Arkansas who were ranked #8 before losing to one at home Saturday.



So here is what one of the most respectable SEC schedules looks like.



Alabama did open at home Vs Michigan. Kudos to them.

Alabama does have 4 SEC road games. Kudos again.

But

Alabama plays 8 - EIGHT - 8 - count them - 8 Home Games

The other 3 non-conference opponents are absolute cup-cakes - little known ones

SEC games include power houses like Ole Miss and Tennessee



Makes you wonder if their season ticket holders whine about having to buy 8 tickets, or 3 cupcakes, or Ole Miss.



I guess as long as they deliver NCs and do not lose to Utah in a bowl game - fans will pay up, shut up, and show up - similar to advice given by my Bishop as the role of the father of the bride in wedding planning.
B
BerliNY
Yes, but ...



1. The culture of football in Alabama simply cannot be compared to ANYTHING in the state of Utah. Bama fans would stand in the rain for three days to see their team play the cast of Disney on Ice in Tokyo at 5am on a Monday morning.



2. If you play in the SEC no one is ever going to question your SOS, that's just the way it is. Win all your games and you're in the NC game, period.
S
Schmoe
BerliNY wrote:

2. If you play in the SEC no one is ever going to question your SOS, that's just the way it is. Lose a couple of your games and you're in the NC game, period.


Fixed it.
M
mjk5
Minor detail, but Bama played Michigan at a neutral site--Jerry World I think. So 7 home games, which is their norm



Also, BerliNY is not exagerating a bit. I attended Bama's home games last year against North Texas and Georgia Southern and both games looked sold out to me. That's 105k-ish people. I was offered twice the ticket price by some colleagues for both games. Also, I've probably mentioned this before, but my home teachers sold their two nosebleed LSU game tickets last year for something like $2500 and went on a cruise.



Winning will do that. I'd be willing to bet that LES would sell out for a 10 pm November game against Savannah St if we were undefeated at that point.
K
KingCoug
BerliNY wrote:
Yes, but ...



1. The culture of football in Alabama simply cannot be compared to ANYTHING in the state of Utah. Bama fans would stand in the rain for three days to see their team play the cast of Disney on Ice in Tokyo at 5am on a Monday morning.



2. If you play in the SEC no one is ever going to question your SOS, that's just the way it is. Win all your games and you're in the NC game, period.


And that's BS. I don't care how good they are. Or how good they, or others, think they are. 8 home games? Cupcake non-conference games. Again, that's BS.



A big part of reforming what's wrong with college football is reducing the excessive influence from, and favortism give to, the SEC.
Advertisement
C
Cougarbib
mjk5 wrote:
Minor detail, but Bama played Michigan at a neutral site--Jerry World I think. So 7 home games, which is their norm



Also, BerliNY is not exagerating a bit. I attended Bama's home games last year against North Texas and Georgia Southern and both games looked sold out to me. That's 105k-ish people. I was offered twice the ticket price by some colleagues for both games. Also, I've probably mentioned this before, but my home teachers sold their two nosebleed LSU game tickets last year for something like $2500 and went on a cruise.



Winning will do that. I'd be willing to bet that LES would sell out for a 10 pm November game against Savannah St if we were undefeated at that point.




This is exactly my point. SEC gets it. The entire conference seems to have a pact. Schedule excess home games, total cupcakes, never lose OOC, so we all look better than we are - then conference losses can be explained away because we are all so invincible.



Further to that point. Back in the Proverbial Day of BYU greatness - BYU played a very winnable schedule - tons of WAC cupcakes - before parity leveled things a bit. Occasional games vs UCLA or UW were huge upgrades - and infrequent.



And Cougar Stadium sold out. Because BYU won.



And lately, BYU schedules to lose - and the stadium does not sell out.



The reason I have been a season ticket holder for 30 years or so is because I can remember when you could not just blow into town and grab a ticket outside the stadium.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
K
KingCoug
Cougarbib wrote:


This is exactly my point. SEC gets it. The entire conference seems to have a pact. Schedule excess home games, total cupcakes, never lose OOC, so we all look better than we are - then conference losses can be explained away because we are all so invincible.



Further to that point. Back in the Proverbial Day of BYU greatness - BYU played a very winnable schedule - tons of WAC cupcakes - before parity leveled things a bit. Occasional games vs UCLA or UW were huge upgrades - and infrequent.



And Cougar Stadium sold out. Because BYU won.



And lately, BYU schedules to lose - and the stadium does not sell out.



The reason I have been a season ticket holder for 30 years or so is because I can remember when you could not just blow into town and grab a ticket outside the stadium.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


I agree with what you said about the SEC. But what do you mean by BYU "scheduling to lose?" BYU is "scheduling to lose" if it attempts to play something more than just a WAC or MWC schedule?
C
Cougarfan87
Of course they have won the last six BCS Title games with four different teams. So, there is that.
C
Cougarbib
Cougarfan87 wrote:
Of course they have won the last six BCS Title games with four different teams. So, there is that.


You have to be in it to win it. That is part of their plan. Stay healthy playing a lot of cupcakes, tilt the deck so you can be in it - once in it, you have a chance to win it.



I am not saying the SEC teams are not good. Bthey are good. I am saying that in addition to being good, they are very smart and know how to work the system.



Note where all the BCS Bowl games are - South. Favors them Vs Big 10 or Big East and most of PAC. They leverage every little edge they can. Result - tons of money - tons of resources.
C
Cougarbib
KingCoug wrote:


This is exactly my point. SEC gets it. The entire conference seems to have a pact. Schedule excess home games, total cupcakes, never lose OOC, so we all look better than we are - then conference losses can be explained away because we are all so invincible.



Further to that point. Back in the Proverbial Day of BYU greatness - BYU played a very winnable schedule - tons of WAC cupcakes - before parity leveled things a bit. Occasional games vs UCLA or UW were huge upgrades - and infrequent.



And Cougar Stadium sold out. Because BYU won.



And lately, BYU schedules to lose - and the stadium does not sell out.



The reason I have been a season ticket holder for 30 years or so is because I can remember when you could not just blow into town and grab a ticket outside the stadium.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


I agree with what you said about the SEC. But what do you mean by BYU "scheduling to lose?" BYU is "scheduling to lose" if it attempts to play something more than just a WAC or MWC schedule?


What I mean is - BYU, instead of tilting the deck in our favor



Gives 1 and done, 2 for 1, and and un-neutral site advantage to good teams - only little brothers and beaches fall for that.



BYU schedules too many 50/50, 60/40, and 40/60 games lately to ever go undefeated. Corollary - BYU will need to go undefeated or have the BCS conferences all have off years to ever sniff a four-team playoff with 1 loss - no matter who else they beat.



I would love to play Bama, USC, LSU, Oregon, or especially Ohio State every year - in a Bowl Game - when it counts. Fiesta Bowl - just to slightly increase our chances.
Advertisement
C
Cougarfan87
Cougarbib wrote:
Of course they have won the last six BCS Title games with four different teams. So, there is that.


You have to be in it to win it. That is part of their plan. Stay healthy playing a lot of cupcakes, tilt the deck so you can be in it - once in it, you have a chance to win it.



I am not saying the SEC teams are not good. Bthey are good. I am saying that in addition to being good, they are very smart and know how to work the system.



Note where all the BCS Bowl games are - South. Favors them Vs Big 10 or Big East and most of PAC. They leverage every little edge they can. Result - tons of money - tons of resources.




There is no doubt that they schedule for success. If BYU could get away with 8 home games, we would do it. The problem is that BYU does not currently have the cache to demand 1 and dones at our home or two for ones. Utah State will want equal footing, as will :utard: . We could get WSU or SUU to come every year. But who else are we going to get to come every year without a return trip or would schedule 2 for ones? I don't think former WAC teams would go for it, and I know our former MWC foes would never consider it. So besides filling up on D1AA schools, I don't think BYU could pull that off until it gets more cache through winning and playing a good schedule. I hope we can get away with that in the future.



This year every SEC team has seven home games except LSU and Arkansas who have 8 (and A&M and Vanderbilt are the step children who only have 6 home games). How did LSU manage 8 home games? They got North Texas, Idaho, and Towson to come play for pay. They also have Washington, but I am sure that is part of a return deal. So, only when we can demand teams come play for pay will we be able to get 8 home games. I just can't see anyone saying yes to that arrangement with BYU yet. The payouts have to be very big and the programs desperate for cash.
S
scott715
However we can get them on ESPN.
Y
YNot
It's pretty interesting and disappointing to see who the SEC plays non-conference.



Alabama: HOME - Western Kentucky, Florida Atlantic, and Western Carolina. NEUTRAL - Michigan



LSU: HOME - Washington (part of '09-'12 home-home), North Texas, Idaho, and Towson.



Auburn: HOME - ULM, NMSU, and Alabama A&M. NEUTRAL - Clemson.



Florida: HOME - Bowling Green, UL Lafayette, Jacksonville St. AWAY - Florida State (annual rivalry game)



Georgia: HOME - Buffalo, Florida Atlantic, Georgia Southern, Georgia Tech (annual rivalry game)



Mississippi State: HOME - Jackson State, South Alabama, Middle Tennessee. AWAY - at Troy (What?!?!?! Didn't the BUlldogs get the memo!)



Kentucky: HOME - Kent State, Western Kentucky, Samford. AWAY - Louisville (annual rivalry game)



Etc. Etc.



To get 8 home games, BYU would have to follow the SEC and schedule regional FCS teams like Weber, SUU, N. Arizona, Montana, etc. and regional WAC/Sun Belt/MAC-level teams like Idaho, NMSU, UTSA, etc. It's fine to play Weber State every 3 years or so, but to be honest, I would rather play at Mississippi and at Texas then 2 extra home games against lower-tier fodder.
K
KingCoug
Cougarfan87 wrote:
There is no doubt that they schedule for success.


The problem is the NCAA lets them get away with it. And it's because the SEC has too much power. It's the classic case of the tail wagging the dog.
S
SpiffCoug
KingCoug wrote:
There is no doubt that they schedule for success.


The problem is the NCAA lets them get away with it. And it's because the SEC has too much power. It's the classic case of the tail wagging the dog.

I'd like to see the NCAA with some sort of scheduling authority like the NFL. Where the NCAA can say, this year, the SEC will play MAC, B1G and PAC12 schools in the non-conf while the BigXII will play WAC, Big East and C-USA. Something like that.
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.