Archived Topic

Will a Y win over U in 2012 have an asterisk by it?

by Cougarbib · 9/9/2012

Advertisement
C
Cougarbib
Most BYU fans rooted for USU and spewed hatred of U. Even The Bibster, although absent any U hate, found himself rooting so hard against the PAC 10 that he was pulling for USU. Many rooted for USU to take out Wynn. Others wanted KVN to do it. Did our emotions blind us? Would we rather be facing a ranked and unbeaten U team in SLC?



If we beat U, will our most disgruntled fans, the ones that he hoped a Y win over U would cheer up, place an asterisk by this win and say things like:



They let us win

They were wounded

They couldn't even beat USU

They lost to a WAC team

Or like White supposedly said, "They lost to a team that wasn't in The PAC 12"



I still do not believe White is stupid enough to have said that - it had to be a joke or imposter.



U fans will surely rationalize a loss - We Was Down.



Will a WIN over U still be satisfying enough to make every single one of us happy?



Oh - yes - I do realize that U may still be a slight favorite at home and WE DO STILL NEED TO WIN. A loss would really sting.b
S
Schmoe
I know they say "there are no stupid questions," but if there were, this would be one. We've beaten the Frutes many years when they sucked, and there was no asterisk, why would this year be any different. I don't care how good or bad they are, beating them is always satisfying.
C
Cougarbib
A win will leave me fully satisfied. Even a 1 point win on a blocked EP in OT. Just win baby. A loss would be unthinkable, but very possible at this point. A Y win will bring the U the rest of the way back down to earth and position Y to beat a decent OSU team and put three sticks in the EYE of PAC. A Y win will change the trajectory of both programs. Final Nail In The Proverbial Coffin.



It is just too bad that Wynn will not play all season and keep the other QBs on the bench. Because it would sure be sweet to see U lose to USU, if they actually play them in 2013 - have not looked, and Y again in 2013.



I sure hope we win what should be a tough game.



U offense is suspect.

Y offense is suspect.

U defense seems vulnerable.

Y defense looked vulnerable to a good running game last two QTRs of WSU game.

Y Special Teams look better than U Special Teams
G
Guest
Dumbest post ever on cougarcorner. Seriously embarrassing.
C
Cougs_Rule
Ya kind of a dumb question. But I answered.

Of course no asterisk! In fact over what? Wynn hurt? They are better without him.

In their arrogance and hubris, they overlooked a strong usu.

And they are really missing their two nfl Olinemen. I still say BYU needs this win more than U.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
Advertisement
C
Cougarbib
dmcougar wrote:
Ya kind of a dumb question. But I answered.

Of course no asterisk! In fact over what? Wynn hurt? They are better without him.

In their arrogance and hubris, they overlooked a strong usu.

And they are really missing their two nfl Olinemen. I still say BYU needs this win more than U.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


This is at the heart of this dumb question. Will u, Blue is Better, BYU Texas, and the other posters that admittedly do not like Riley Nelson get over it if Y wins or just dismiss it like some did when BYU man-handled Washington State.



Some of you may recall similarly bagging on Max Hall until he threaded the needle and put a dagger in the heart of the U - assuming they had any heart. That win shut a lot of whiny Y fans up.



If Nelson leads BYU past this wounded U team - will it shut you up?



And there is also an option for posters like Frdbtr that have let the U get into their heads to the point thatvtheycstillvthink BYU cannot win.



But inspite of how embarrassing Hawkwing thinks this question is - I did not see one vote yet for The Utah will win option. That seems a little inconsistent with all of the Posts about how the U has our number, the game is more important to them, just another game for us, they prepared all year.



Go to the Are You Less Worried Thread - figure out why none of the doomsday posters have voted for the U will win option.



For the record, as I have stated, I expect to be fully satisfied by a close, hard-fought, Y win.



It seemed to me that some of you will jump like rats off a sinking ship after our first loss - or if we do not win by a large enough margin.
F
frdbtr
Cougarbib wrote:
A win will leave me fully satisfied. Even a 1 point win on a blocked EP in OT. Just win baby. A loss would be unthinkable, but very possible at this point. A Y win will bring the U the rest of the way back down to earth and position Y to beat a decent OSU team and put three sticks in the EYE of PAC. A Y win will change the trajectory of both programs. Final Nail In The Proverbial Coffin.



It is just too bad that Wynn will not play all season and keep the other QBs on the bench. Because it would sure be sweet to see U lose to USU, if they actually play them in 2013 - have not looked, and Y again in 2013.



I sure hope we win what should be a tough game.



U offense is suspect.

Y offense is suspect.

U defense seems vulnerable.

Y defense looked vulnerable to a good running game last two QTRs of WSU game.

Y Special Teams look better than U Special Teams


Yep the Y defense definately looked vulnerable when Bronco quit attacking and was running his 2nd, and 3rd string players.
C
Cougarbib
frdbtr wrote:
A win will leave me fully satisfied. Even a 1 point win on a blocked EP in OT. Just win baby. A loss would be unthinkable, but very possible at this point. A Y win will bring the U the rest of the way back down to earth and position Y to beat a decent OSU team and put three sticks in the EYE of PAC. A Y win will change the trajectory of both programs. Final Nail In The Proverbial Coffin.



It is just too bad that Wynn will not play all season and keep the other QBs on the bench. Because it would sure be sweet to see U lose to USU, if they actually play them in 2013 - have not looked, and Y again in 2013.



I sure hope we win what should be a tough game.



U offense is suspect.

Y offense is suspect.

U defense seems vulnerable.

Y defense looked vulnerable to a good running game last two QTRs of WSU game.

Y Special Teams look better than U Special Teams


Yep the Y defense definately looked vulnerable when Bronco quit attacking and was running his 2nd, and 3rd string players.

You may have noticed that after the reserve RB for WSU started to have success, the announcers commented that there were still a lot of D starters still on the field.



But hey - it is nice to hear something optimistic out of you re the Utah game. Simply nice. Absence of a U wins vote on this poll must indicate that you no longer expectvU to own us. Glad to see you have exercised the ghost of U past demons from your head.
C
Cougs_Rule
No. But my bigger point is that he needs to "learn [his] lesson" (his words) and stay healthy.

But if he leads a win over Utah, then he will have earned his rightful place slightly above Kevin Feterick and a whole lot of praise from me. But Utah will be his greatest, most legitimized test, even larger than TCU, who while better than Utah, wasn't as large A stage as next week.

If he stays healthy and beats BSU, or one or more of the other two big games then he will have learned and performed pretty darn good. The problem is he has no signature/key wins except over the ones he should have--using your analytical models. no excuses.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
C
Cougarbib
dmcougar wrote:
No. But my bigger point is that he needs to "learn [his] lesson" (his words) and stay healthy.

But if he leads a win over Utah, then he will have earned his rightful place slightly above Kevin Feterick and a whole lot of praise from me. But Utah will be his greatest, most legitimized test, even larger than TCU, who while better than Utah, wasn't as large A stage as next week.

If he stays healthy and beats BSU, or one or more of the other two big games then he will have learned and performed pretty darn good. The problem is he has no signature/key wins except over the ones he should have--using your analytical models. no excuses.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">

And just out of curiosity - what huge upset win did Max Hall engineer? Robbie Bosco? Steve Young? And several of the greats lost to teams they were supposed to beat. Even Jim M. And Bosco may have concealed an injury all of 1985. But - sure - right above Feterik is about right - now. And maybe about right. But if Nelson goes 3-0 Vs PAC this year after going undefeated vs PAC last year - I may ask you which BYU QB matched that. And if he adds a win over BSU - well none of them did that either. That debate can wait - because odds are that he will not do it - unless he does.
Advertisement
F
frdbtr
Cougarbib wrote:
You may have noticed that after the reserve RB for WSU started to have success, the announcers commented that there were still a lot of D starters still on the field.



But hey - it is nice to hear something optimistic out of you re the Utah game. Simply nice. Absence of a U wins vote on this poll must indicate that you no longer expectvU to own us. Glad to see you have exercised the ghost of U past demons from your head.


I have never stated nor predicted that the utes would "own" us. I have stated, during last nights euphoria over the usu win, that the team BYU see's next saturday will not be the same one that lost to usu last night and I pointed out data to support that opinion. I still believe that. Having said that, on paper, BYU has the better team this year, we have a better defense and we have a better offense. I, for one, hope that equals a big victory for BYU but in the past I have seen teams that, on paper, looked like they should dominate the u have to pull it out in a come back to win.
F
frdbtr
Cougarbib wrote:
Cougarbib wrote:
A win will leave me fully satisfied. Even a 1 point win on a blocked EP in OT. Just win baby. A loss would be unthinkable, but very possible at this point. A Y win will bring the U the rest of the way back down to earth and position Y to beat a decent OSU team and put three sticks in the EYE of PAC. A Y win will change the trajectory of both programs. Final Nail In The Proverbial Coffin.



It is just too bad that Wynn will not play all season and keep the other QBs on the bench. Because it would sure be sweet to see U lose to USU, if they actually play them in 2013 - have not looked, and Y again in 2013.



I sure hope we win what should be a tough game.



U offense is suspect.

Y offense is suspect.

U defense seems vulnerable.

Y defense looked vulnerable to a good running game last two QTRs of WSU game.

Y Special Teams look better than U Special Teams


Yep the Y defense definately looked vulnerable when Bronco quit attacking and was running his 2nd, and 3rd string players.

You may have noticed that after the reserve RB for WSU started to have success, the announcers commented that there were still a lot of D starters still on the field.



But hey - it is nice to hear something optimistic out of you re the Utah game. Simply nice. Absence of a U wins vote on this poll must indicate that you no longer expectvU to own us. Glad to see you have exercised the ghost of U past demons from your head.


Bronco never emptied his bench but was mixing in 2nd and 3rd stringers with various starters late in the game. He also stated in the post game show that when we were up big late, he called off the dogs.
C
Cougarbib
frdbtr wrote:
You may have noticed that after the reserve RB for WSU started to have success, the announcers commented that there were still a lot of D starters still on the field.



But hey - it is nice to hear something optimistic out of you re the Utah game. Simply nice. Absence of a U wins vote on this poll must indicate that you no longer expectvU to own us. Glad to see you have exercised the ghost of U past demons from your head.


I have never stated nor predicted that the utes would "own" us. I have stated, during last nights euphoria over the usu win, that the team BYU see's next saturday will not be the same one that lost to usu last night and I pointed out data to support that opinion. I still believe that. Having said that, on paper, BYU has the better team this year, we have a better defense and we have a better offense. I, for one, hope that equals a big victory for BYU but in the past I have seen teams that, on paper, looked like they should dominate the u have to pull it out in a come back to win.


Didn't ask what you hoped. Everyone on here hopes for a Y win and probably dream of a 45 point or more blowout win.



I did not ask about paper.



I asked you to predict the outcome of the upcoming game at RES.



Can you cast The Ute Demons aside yet - and predict a Y win?
F
frdbtr
Cougarbib wrote:
Cougarbib wrote:
You may have noticed that after the reserve RB for WSU started to have success, the announcers commented that there were still a lot of D starters still on the field.



But hey - it is nice to hear something optimistic out of you re the Utah game. Simply nice. Absence of a U wins vote on this poll must indicate that you no longer expectvU to own us. Glad to see you have exercised the ghost of U past demons from your head.


I have never stated nor predicted that the utes would "own" us. I have stated, during last nights euphoria over the usu win, that the team BYU see's next saturday will not be the same one that lost to usu last night and I pointed out data to support that opinion. I still believe that. Having said that, on paper, BYU has the better team this year, we have a better defense and we have a better offense. I, for one, hope that equals a big victory for BYU but in the past I have seen teams that, on paper, looked like they should dominate the u have to pull it out in a come back to win.


Didn't ask what you hoped. Everyone on here hopes for a Y win and probably dream of a 45 point or more blowout win.



I did not ask about paper.



I asked you to predict the outcome of the upcoming game at RES.



Can you cast The Ute Demons aside yet - and predict a Y win?


I will always predict victory for BYU. What happens on the field is a different story.
C
Cougarbib
frdbtr wrote:
frdbtr wrote:
You may have noticed that after the reserve RB for WSU started to have success, the announcers commented that there were still a lot of D starters still on the field.



But hey - it is nice to hear something optimistic out of you re the Utah game. Simply nice. Absence of a U wins vote on this poll must indicate that you no longer expectvU to own us. Glad to see you have exercised the ghost of U past demons from your head.


I have never stated nor predicted that the utes would "own" us. I have stated, during last nights euphoria over the usu win, that the team BYU see's next saturday will not be the same one that lost to usu last night and I pointed out data to support that opinion. I still believe that. Having said that, on paper, BYU has the better team this year, we have a better defense and we have a better offense. I, for one, hope that equals a big victory for BYU but in the past I have seen teams that, on paper, looked like they should dominate the u have to pull it out in a come back to win.


Didn't ask what you hoped. Everyone on here hopes for a Y win and probably dream of a 45 point or more blowout win.



I did not ask about paper.



I asked you to predict the outcome of the upcoming game at RES.



Can you cast The Ute Demons aside yet - and predict a Y win?


I will always predict victory for BYU. What happens on the field is a different story.


Have you come to any firm conviction about what you believe the ACTUAL OUTCOME of the Y@U game will be Saturday.



I now believe Y will win a close one. You may recall that I ranked ND, GT, and BSU as tougher than U even before USU beat U.



What do you believe will happen? You were way off on the U@USU game.
Advertisement
U
Ungoy
I just hope that the Frutes have finally run out of pieces of their souls to sell. I hope that their souls are on empty so that they can't play like a team of all americans this next week. It always seems like the Frutes sell their very essence to just get a win over BYU. I hope that has run out. I want to see them get demolished.



I don't care what condition the :utard: are in. If we beat them, it makes me happy. If we destroy them, I grin from ear to ear every time I see a Ute fan, or a PAC-12 sticker.
C
Cougarbib
Ungoy wrote:
I just hope that the Frutes have finally run out of pieces of their souls to sell. I hope that their souls are on empty so that they can't play like a team of all americans this next week. It always seems like the Frutes sell their very essence to just get a win over BYU. I hope that has run out. I want to see them get demolished.



I don't care what condition the :utard: are in. If we beat them, it makes me happy. If we destroy them, I grin from ear to ear every time I see a Ute fan, or a PAC-12 sticker.


If U loses to USU and Y - I predict sales of U and PAC gear to plummet and lots of that stuff to get stuck in the back of the closet or in the bottom drawer. IDC if SLC will take down the U-PAC banners on the street poles or if U fans will change license plates and frames and scrape off stickers - but they will quit buying them.



It would be hilarious if so many jumped off the bandwagon that Y fans could buy cheap tickets to WEAR BLUE and watch USC demolish U in RES.
M
Mingjai
What is it with this forum and asterisks?
G
Guest
Mingjai wrote:
What is it with this forum and asterisks?

It's not the forum, it's one user who does not know what an actual asterisk is used for.
J
jonnylingo
bib you have come up with some pretty lame polls lately. wins in a rivalry game never have asterisks by them.
Page 1 of 3
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.