Archived Topic

"Just another game......"

by Cougs_Rule · 9/8/2012

Advertisement
C
Cougs_Rule
Heard these words, once again, in a postgame interview with JD Falslev.

Thought I wouldnt have to hear them again. But oh well.



Does it matter? I think so. It's mental BS Mumbo jumbo until that attitude wins a game vs the Utes who won't play Ike its just another game.
F
frdbtr
So this brings up the question. Can players play harder than 100%? Can players focus more than 100%? The "just another game" is supposed to mean, and bronco coaches this way, that his team should practice and play at 100% all the time. If you then tried to tell them that they needed to practice and play harder simply because it is utah, you would then be inconsistant and send the message to the players that they don't need to give 100% all the time unless the game is really important.
C
cougarnerd
You need to keep level-headed, no matter the situation. You can get somewhat excited, but it can't go so far as to hinder your performance.
K
KingCoug
dmcougar wrote:
Heard these words, once again, in a postgame interview with JD Falslev.

Thought I wouldnt have to hear them again. But oh well.



Does it matter? I think so. It's mental BS Mumbo jumbo until that attitude wins a game vs the Utes who won't play Ike its just another game.


What he says in public, and how he and the rest of the team actually feels, may be two different things. ;)
M
mizzoucoug
Well unless there is something to the "show 'em vanilla" approach, I didn't see 100% today.
Advertisement
C
Cougarbib
It is just another game. It is the next game. It is the most important game to win this year for two reasons:



1). It is the next game

2). The program implications for U are even bigger than the implications for Y



Can't wait. The U needs to lose back-to-back games vs in-state rivals.



But - see the Asterisk Poll
B
byucougar1
The entire team (players) watched the UT/USU game. Don't think for one moment that that didn't factor into their mind and recognize the vulnerability of UT. They were probably thinking about that game and i took them a while to get fired up and realize they had an opponent that wasn't intimidated. UT's psyche will be battered and their loss will have a negative impact upon them. For BYU, they will have to start out fast out of the gates and be very productive in passing and limiting turnovers.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
F
frdbtr
mizzoucoug wrote:
Well unless there is something to the "show 'em vanilla" approach, I didn't see 100% today.


I'll bet that it will be addressed in practice next week too.
S
Schmoe
dmcougar wrote:
Heard these words, once again, in a postgame interview with JD Falslev.

Thought I wouldnt have to hear them again. But oh well.



Does it matter? I think so. It's mental BS Mumbo jumbo until that attitude wins a game vs the Utes who won't play Ike its just another game.


This is an ridiculous post and borders on a downright lie. When asked if he was excited about the game in SLC next Saturday night, he said (and I'm paraphrasing here, but it will give you the context that DMC left out because it's his time of the month) "Definitely. I mean, I know it's supposed to be just another game, but..."
D
Dcr36
A handful of the BYU players with Twitter accounts were going off on Utah last night.



Damned if you do, damned if you don't, huh? Talk about it like it's another game, you get accused of lacking passion or emotion. Treat it differently, and you give the other team locker room bulletin board fodder.
Advertisement
C
Cougs_Rule
Dcr36 wrote:
A handful of the BYU players with Twitter accounts were going off on Utah last night.



Damned if you do, damned if you don't, huh? Talk about it like it's another game, you get accused of lacking passion or emotion. Treat it differently, and you give the other team locker room bulletin board fodder.


No, maybe damned if they tweet by the coaches. I didn't see those tweets though I would like to. I thought players were forbidden. But yes, damned if they say " just another game" bc one, if the tweets did happen, then they are lieing when they say just another game.

I would prefer to think they are just using coach speech bc they are asked to. And I have to believe that team captains like Ogle and Riley will have their troops ready to fight a furious fight.

Utah has been humbled and will come out their usual nasty, helmet poking, rip some heads off selves and if BYU comes out the same as against Weber. It could be a long night.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
G
Guest
Just another game == no bulletin board material.
C
Cougs_Rule
hawkwing wrote:
Just another game == no bulletin board material.


Thanks Hawk. Finally a sane, reasonable explanation. I can buy that.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
M
mizzoucoug
Fair enough. I just want us to smack them in the mouth early and get up quick. Hays > Wynn and has been from the getgo so we'll get their best shot. Our run D looked porous much like it was last year vs Utah, so I am highly skeptical right now.
G
Gunk
hawkwing wrote:
Just another game == no bulletin board material.


Exactly.



We shouldn't hear anything other than, "It's another game." Meanwhile, Bronco and Doman are busy putting together a game plan.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
Advertisement
J
jonnylingo
BYU has had this game circled since last year. it is not just another game to them. i wouldn't read anything into what they said. this team will come out hungry for a win.
C
Cougarbib
jonnylingo wrote:
BYU has had this game circled since last year. it is not just another game to them. i wouldn't read anything into what they said. this team will come out hungry for a win.


I think they came out hungry last year. Wound up too tight. And with the team leader on the bench and with an inexperienced QB with the rib injury he played with vs U the prior year - perhaps too fresh in his mind.



This year the team has experience and leadership on its side. The team has a better secondary. The receivers are even better than last year. We have better tight ends.



Unfortunately, this game is on the road, our O/L is even more disappointing so far, and our RBs have not shown as much yet.



This should be a tough game that Y can win.
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.