Archived Topic

On Oct 15th Should Riley Play like a

by Cougarbib · 9/8/2012

Advertisement
C
Cougarbib
BYU QB or

USU QB



Riley used to take a lot of heat for not being a "BYU" QB. That has subsided quite a bit, but I sure heard fans whine at LES vs Washington State every time he ran, ran the option, or left the pocket. I even had a guy next to me calling for Riley to be benched. Really.



Then, I saw Chuckie Keaton and USU make the hallowed U defense look silly in the 1st qtr, 4th Qtr, and OT by running the option and getting out of the pocket. U did adjust and look better most of the 2nd half, but they took the vaunted DL out of the play by going very wide and spreading the field. Anderson got a lot out of otherwise over-matched players.



Keaton took some big hits inside and outside of the pocket - and survived. I do worry about Riley. Keaton was quoted as saying it was seeing USU style of QB play trounce BYU in Logan is why he came there.



We can save the who is the best USU or BYU QB out of Nelson and Keaton later - I already feel guilty posting this poll before the Weber State game - Busted - looking ahead.
Y
Y 4 Ever
i don't understand the question. Are you drunk?
M
Mars


Troll post?
F
frdbtr
Riley should play like Riley. Since he wears BYU blue, that would make me think he would look like a BYU QB.
C
Cougarbib
Y 4 Ever wrote:
i don't understand the question. Are you drunk?


No - assuming you are sober - let me clarify.



Do you want to see Nelson standing in the pocket, not taking off running, leaving the running to the backs - like many have suggested he should



Or do you want to see QB draws, lots of option plays, frequent plays rolling out of the pocket with pulling it down and taking off on occasion, and when in the pocket, tuck and run when no one seems open or protection breaks down.



If you were sober and watched the USU game you saw and heard. The announcers point out that Keaton was not effective standing in the pocket, but very effective outside of the picket and running the option.



And although Riley got injured in the pocket last year - running against a physical defense like U could be a huge risk.



The question is how do fans want to see the game plan and strategy Vs U. Some vulnerabilities seem to have been exposed which may create an opportunity - if Y can figure out which back can be most like Luke Staley on option plays. I am thinking it may be foote, the teenager, or Falslev.
Advertisement
C
Cougarbib
Mars wrote:


Troll post?


Thanks for the confession Mars.
F
frdbtr
Cougarbib wrote:
i don't understand the question. Are you drunk?


No - assuming you are sober - let me clarify.



Do you want to see Nelson standing in the pocket, not taking off running, leaving the running to the backs - like many have suggested he should



Or do you want to see QB draws, lots of option plays, frequent plays rolling out of the pocket with pulling it down and taking off on occasion, and when in the pocket, tuck and run when no one seems open or protection breaks down.



If you were sober and watched the USU game you saw and heard. The announcers point out that Keaton was not effective standing in the pocket, but very effective outside of the picket and running the option.



And although Riley got injured in the pocket last year - running against a physical defense like U could be a huge risk.



The question is how do fans want to see the game plan and strategy Vs U. Some vulnerabilities seem to have been exposed which may create an opportunity - if Y can figure out which back can be most like Luke Staley on option plays. I am thinking it may be foote, the teenager, or Falslev.


The offense you just described is exactly what doman designed for riley's strengths. They are going to be moving the pocket all game long against the utes. If idiot BYU fans don't like it, than they will just have to be dis satisfied with success. Kind of like the morons that were calling for Max Hall to be benched in 09 for Riley.
Y
Y 4 Ever
I don't understand what Oct 15th has to do with anything regarding BYU and/or USU. I still think you're drunk.
F
frdbtr
Y 4 Ever wrote:
I don't understand what Oct 15th has to do with anything regarding BYU and/or USU. I still think you're drunk.


He meant Sept 15th, Oct 15th would be monday after the OSU game.
C
Cougs_Rule
Or is senility in play? He is the oldest poster next to EMPuma--iirc. :) :) Jk Bib. But don't blame the excrement of an iPad spell check this time. ;)



The qb and OC are one. They is who they is--which does not equal a prototype byu qb. Riley has to get o.o.p. or he will get blown up.

The unheralded part of usu was their Oline. They weren't world beaters, but they played pretty tough vs a strong Dline. I think Kruger just got sick of their mean and nasty and took a punch and got ejected.



IF byu Oline cn control at least as well as usu we win next week. But that Dline will unleash some fury next week. It will be a "slobber knocker" in the trenches.



Can't you just taste the ute fan venom, anger, drunken stupor, outrage, and fair weather-ness if they lose to both u su and byu???? :munch: :munch: :munch: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Advertisement
E
EM_Puma
frdbtr wrote:
Riley should play like Riley. Since he wears BYU blue, that would make me think he would look like a BYU QB.


My sentiments exactly.
R
redneckjedi
A rising tide?

An asterisk?

A beast west?

A meme created only in his own mind?

A nickname given and used exclusively by himself?

A man, a plan, a canal, Panama?



Thought your poll could use a few more options...
C
Cougarbib
Y 4 Ever wrote:
I don't understand what Oct 15th has to do with anything regarding BYU and/or USU. I still think you're drunk.


Took me a while to sober up. My bad. Where am I? Who am I? What day is it? I guess I was so drunken with joy to see both U and USU look competitive but beatable - I hit the fast forward button.



OP probably cannot be fixed without erasing votes - so let me fix it here



Um

- oops



I meant Sept 15. I think, he says having lost any and all confidence about the calendar.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
C
Cougarbib
dmcougar wrote:
Or is senility in play? He is the oldest poster next to EMPuma--iirc. :) :) Jk Bib. But don't blame the excrement of an iPad spell check this time. ;)



The qb and OC are one. They is who they is--which does not equal a prototype byu qb. Riley has to get o.o.p. or he will get blown up.

The unheralded part of usu was their Oline. They weren't world beaters, but they played pretty tough vs a strong Dline. I think Kruger just got sick of their mean and nasty and took a punch and got ejected.



IF byu Oline cn control at least as well as usu we win next week. But that Dline will unleash some fury next week. It will be a "slobber knocker" in the trenches.



Can't you just taste the ute fan venom, anger, drunken stupor, outrage, and fair weather-ness if they lose to both u su and byu???? :munch: :munch: :munch: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:


This is why I found myself pulling for USU while watching the game. U and PAC needed this and they need to lose to Y on either Sept 15, Oct 15 if the game gets rescheduled for some reason ha ha - yes it was senility - not the Q phone. This is what is needed to set the world right.



BYU knows what that feels like - 2010. Almost felt it again in 2011. It changes the trajectory of a program. U program needed and still needs one more reality check.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
C
Cougarbib
redneckjedi wrote:
A rising tide?

An asterisk?

A beast west?

A meme created only in his own mind?

A nickname given and used exclusively by himself?

A man, a plan, a canal, Panama?



Thought your poll could use a few more options...

Thanks for the inspiration - I feel a poll coming on - asterisk - watch for it after Weber State Game - don't want to get busted for looking ahead again.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
Advertisement
S
snoscythe
I love it when people offer "clarity" and then use more words in an attempt to clarify than they used to originally befuddle.
B
BroncoBot
Well, on Sept 15th I hope Riley absolutely lights the u on fire and burns them to the ground. I hope BYU runs up the score. I don't care what style RN decides to be, just get the W.
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.