Archived Topic

Nonsense Poll

by Schmoe · 9/7/2012

Advertisement
S
Schmoe
As an English teacher, I'm curious to see if previous generations are as bad with this as the current one seems to be.
S
snoscythe
My English teacher taught me in a manner that "sticks" with me to this very day.
S
Schmoe
snoscythe wrote:
My English teacher taught me in a manner that "sticks" with me to this very day.


Would you mind sharing? These kids have been taught their whole lives that you never say "Bronco and me" and I'm having trouble changing that perception.
S
scott715
Do I get anything for getting it correct?
S
Schmoe
scott715 wrote:
Do I get anything for getting it correct?


The satisfaction of knowing you're smarter than a 9th grader?
Advertisement
U
urroner
Try teaching kids that "Me and Jack are going to school today" is wrong!!!



1. "Me" is not a subject pronoun, "I" should be used.

2. Even if it was, it should be "Jack and me are going to school today." First person pronouns go last.



But, here in the south, I have heard "we is going to the store" or "we alls going to the store." "We alls???" I have heard "you all" or even "y'all," but "we alls" or "you alls" is soooo bad.



For you lemonhead, egg suckin' northerners, "y'all" is plural, so why attempt to pluralize a plural.



Then there is "all y'all." :gross:



Now, where is mah RC Cola and Moonpahs?



http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w3J9Jx4SYNE
B
bigbluepuma
It isn't just this generation, although it is no doubt getting worse, because, due to the way they learned, parents are going out of their way to teach it wrong. When I was in school, teachers were having the most trouble with students saying things like "Me and Bronco are going," or "Bronco and me are going." They worked so hard trying to teach students to use "I" in the subjective that kids began to think that they always had to use "I," not thinking about which case it falls into.



My mother, a school teacher, taught us a very simple way to figure it out in any sentence: just take out the "and." In other words, test a sentence without anyone but yourself. Instead of "Please come with Bronco and I/me," try it with just "Please come with I/me." In the subjective case, try "I/me am going." Suddenly, the incorrect usage sounds ridiculous. "Me am going," or "Please come with I," sound like gibberish, where it doesn't to most people with an "and." Try teaching that method to your students. It'll also help them learn the difference between subjective and objective case.
S
Schmoe
bigbluepuma wrote:
It isn't just this generation, although it is no doubt getting worse, because, due to the way they learned, parents are going out of their way to teach it wrong. When I was in school, teachers were having the most trouble with students saying things like "Me and Bronco are going," or "Bronco and me are going." They worked so hard trying to teach students to use "I" in the subjective that kids began to think that they always had to use "I," not thinking about which case it falls into.



My mother, a school teacher, taught us a very simple way to figure it out in any sentence: just take out the "and." In other words, test a sentence without anyone but yourself. Instead of "Please come with Bronco and I/me," try it with just "Please come with I/me." In the subjective case, try "I/me am going." Suddenly, the incorrect usage sounds ridiculous. "Me am going," or "Please come with I," sound like gibberish, where it doesn't to most people with an "and." Try teaching that method to your students. It'll also help them learn the difference between subjective and objective case.


You hit the nail on the head, and I give my students the same advice about how to check for it (just take out the other person's name and see if it still makes sense). But it's obvious that many of them don't take the time to do so, especially people on TV. The word "myself" is used SO much because people are deathly afraid of saying "and me." It's one of my biggest pet peeves (it was also something that I really appreciated about Paul Ryan's speech, I noticed he used "and me" correctly several times without batting a lash. Another small piece of evidence, at lest to me, that he is an intelligent person).
B
bigbluepuma
It's good to hear that someone else is bugged about the extremely poor use of the English language in our society today, especially amoung professionals who should know better. One of my biggest pet peeves is that almost all prfessional journalists on TV and radio consistantly say things like "Bronco, he went there, instead of the correct and much simpler "Bronco went there."
G
Guest
I always take the other persons name out, first I'm the only one that matters anyway, and second, you get the right answer.
Advertisement
U
urroner
hawkwing wrote:
I always take the other persons name out, first I'm the only one that matters anyway, and second, you get the right answer.


Hawkwing, I'm sure that your wife, who doesn't matter to you anymore, is highly pleased with this refreshing attitude of yours. I'm happy for you. :whistle:
G
Guest
urroner wrote:
I always take the other persons name out, first I'm the only one that matters anyway, and second, you get the right answer.


Hawkwing, I'm sure that your wife, who doesn't matter to you anymore, is highly pleased with this refreshing attitude of yours. I'm happy for you. :whistle:


You see urroner, the wifeofhawkwing and I are one. So it still works!
U
urroner
hawkwing wrote:
hawkwing wrote:
I always take the other persons name out, first I'm the only one that matters anyway, and second, you get the right answer.


Hawkwing, I'm sure that your wife, who doesn't matter to you anymore, is highly pleased with this refreshing attitude of yours. I'm happy for you. :whistle:


You see urroner, the wifeofhawkwing and I are one. So it still works!


Forgive me hawkwing/wifeofhawking, my mouth spoke words of absurdity, absurdity, and ewetness when my brain was disengaged. I beg forgiveness. It is but a small sin, unlike the use of the phrase "red zone."



I utter no more words on this.
B
bigbluepuma
hawkwing wrote:
hawkwing wrote:
I always take the other persons name out, first I'm the only one that matters anyway, and second, you get the right answer.


Hawkwing, I'm sure that your wife, who doesn't matter to you anymore, is highly pleased with this refreshing attitude of yours. I'm happy for you. :whistle:


You see urroner, the wifeofhawkwing and I are one. So it still works!


Or is it "the wifeofhawkwing and me are one?" :evil:
S
snoscythe
Schmoe wrote:
My English teacher taught me in a manner that "sticks" with me to this very day.


Would you mind sharing? These kids have been taught their whole lives that you never say "Bronco and me" and I'm having trouble changing that perception.


He made us listen to this song three times in a row:



[youtube]e5MAg_yWsq8[/youtube]



After each play, he would tell us "after with you always use me" and then play it again. So it Styx with you.
Advertisement
S
Schmoe
snoscythe wrote:
snoscythe wrote:
My English teacher taught me in a manner that "sticks" with me to this very day.


Would you mind sharing? These kids have been taught their whole lives that you never say "Bronco and me" and I'm having trouble changing that perception.


He made us listen to this song three times in a row:



[youtube]e5MAg_yWsq8[/youtube]



After each play, he would tell us "after with you always use me" and then play it again. So it Styx with you.


That is absolutely BRILLIANT!!
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.