Archived Topic

The mangy coug...

by nogbody · 9/5/2012

Advertisement
N
nogbody
Question for all you smarties. I've see this graphic alot on flags and shirts as of late. Does anybody know if it has a name? (just the cougar)



http://c-product.images.fansedge.com/32-04/32-04225-2-Y.jpg" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">



I call it the mangy coug. I like it, so i'm looking for shirts with it, The bookstore seems to only have women's shirts with that graphic. I searched google with little luck as well, as I don't know what it's actually called... I tried "retro byu cougar" and "vintage byu cougar" I'd love to get a shirt with this on it. I'd make my own if I could find a high quality graphic of the image. Doesn't look like it's part of the offical identity of the university, now, maybe it was back in the day?



Found this one but it's 35 bucks...



http://www.fansedge.com/BYU-Cougars-47-Brand-Vintage-Scrum-Tee-_1902278527_PD.html



Go cougs... :crazy:
S
Schmoe
I have never seen that cougar before in my life...
U
urroner
Schmoe wrote:
I have never seen that cougar before in my life...


It took a second Schmoe. Awesome humor there buddy.
C
Cougarfan87
It was on a football that I had from the late 1980's. I'm not sure if it predated that time or not.
Advertisement
S
Schmoe
urroner wrote:
I have never seen that cougar before in my life...


It took a second Schmoe. Awesome humor there buddy.


Just one second? That must be some kind of Urroner record! ;)
U
urroner
Schmoe wrote:
Schmoe wrote:
I have never seen that cougar before in my life...


It took a second Schmoe. Awesome humor there buddy.


Just one second? That must be some kind of Urroner record! ;)


A couple of years ago, I pulled a muscle in my back and it just wasn't getting better very fast. My bishop at the time was a doctor and I mentioned it to him. He just got a big grin on his face and said, "Lynn, you use to be just worthless, but you're not that anymore, you're old AND worthless." So, according to you Schmoe, I not old AND worthless anymore, I'm old AND worthless AND senile. Well, thanks buddy. :~( :~( :~( :~(
L
Lawboy
I got a Tshirt with it on it at the Bookstore this summer. Roayl Blue T. I would have preferred it navy, but it still looks great.



All I know is that the logo first showed up in 1984.
S
SpiffCoug
I call it the Awesome Cougar. It is BYU's best cougar logo.



I like the oval Y, but I'd love to see an alternate helmet with the Awesome Cougar on it.
G
Guest
Legends Grill has a cool timeline that shows when all the Cougar logos were first introduced. I can't remember exactly when it said this one was first used, but if anyone stops by for lunch they should be able to see.
Advertisement
S
SpiffCoug
hawkwing wrote:
Legends Grill has a cool timeline that shows when all the Cougar logos were first introduced. I can't remember exactly when it said this one was first used, but if anyone stops by for lunch they should be able to see.

Next Cougar Corner lunch at Legends Grill!
M
Mingjai
nogbody wrote:
Doesn't look like it's part of the offical identity of the university, now, maybe it was back in the day?


BYU didn't really have an official graphic identity back in the day--they were so disjoint about what logos they used an when that it would drive branding people crazy. Looking back at BYU's logos through the years, none of them were particularly good from a design standpoint. Even the sailor cougar because has a Grinch look about him:



http://www.philnel.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/12/Grinch.jpeg" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">



Apparently, the sailor motif was a popular motif for colleges--several college had them that I can remember, including Oregon State, NC State, Miami, and Cal:



http://www.statesman.com/multimedia/dynamic/00499/Oregon-State-old-lo_499267c.jpg" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">

http://legendsrevealed.com/sports/wp-content/uploads/2009/06/wolfpack_logo.jpg" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/126/329428013_2218cf392d.jpg" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">

http://www.oogalights.com/Home-Garden/Lighting/Party-Lights/Sports-String-Lights/NCAA-College-Logos/MD-CALBEAR-University-of-California-Bears-NCAA-College-Logo-Party-String-Lights.jpg" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
S
Schmoe
urroner wrote:
urroner wrote:
I have never seen that cougar before in my life...


It took a second Schmoe. Awesome humor there buddy.


Just one second? That must be some kind of Urroner record! ;)


A couple of years ago, I pulled a muscle in my back and it just wasn't getting better very fast. My bishop at the time was a doctor and I mentioned it to him. He just got a big grin on his face and said, "Lynn, you use to be just worthless, but you're not that anymore, you're old AND worthless." So, according to you Schmoe, I not old AND worthless anymore, I'm old AND worthless AND senile. Well, thanks buddy. :~( :~( :~( :~(


It's what I'm here for, buddy. Remember that senility isn't exclusive to just old guys, all us senile dudes gotta stick together.
N
nogbody
Thanks guys... looks like "Sailor coug" is the much more accepted term, and I was able to find some more images/apparel.



nice.
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.