Archived Topic

TV exposure for Jabari

by mizzoucoug · 9/4/2012

Advertisement
M
mizzoucoug
How would we compare with Duke, UK, or Mich St. as far as TV coverage goes in 2013-2014? I would think that BYUtv puts us over the top against each of these schools, but they also have ESPN arrangements as we do. Would Jabari get more TV with us than with the other options? It has to be a strong selling point if so. Obviously he doesn't want to merely rely on the Jimmer effect (i.e., ESPN showing his highlights all the time) getting him props but rather by being watched live.
G
Gunk
Overall, I think the exposure is greater at BYU. However, what he won't have at BYU is the occasional regular season game televised on CBS or NBC.
C
craigoscarson
mizzoucoug wrote:
How would we compare with Duke, UK, or Mich St. as far as TV coverage goes in 2013-2014? I would think that BYUtv puts us over the top against each of these schools, but they also have ESPN arrangements as we do. Would Jabari get more TV with us than with the other options? It has to be a strong selling point if so. Obviously he doesn't want to merely rely on the Jimmer effect (i.e., ESPN showing his highlights all the time) getting him props but rather by being watched live.


Don't forget that with Jabari, ESPN would likely pick up more games and because hoops teams do half of their schedule anuualy at the end of the season, having Jabari could land them the Maui classic, etc. etc. etc.



Jabari will not lack for attention at the Y, but is it a possibility that he might just want to attempt to have an actual college experience and doesn't have his head in the clouds just yet? In some ways, BYU offers an ability to fit in like never before which will make the college experience much easier. In other ways (he'll be a rock star on campus) notsomuch.
K
KYCoug
I think BYUtv has more potiential viewers but not so sure the ratings (eye balls watching) would be higher. Plus I don't know about Mich St or Duke but at UK there is a huge nationwide TV audience. Plus for the big games you get NBA stars in the crowd. Kobe was there last year and a dozen or so other big name NBA stars with no connection to UK. Just to see this year's crop. Then UK vs NC had Michael Jordon in the stands. I would love to see Jabari at the Y and access to see the games is a big selling point but we are competing against the best there is. I understand from what I've read he intends to just play one year so that may limit his choices. I'm for the Y, but anywhere is fine, he's a great young man and represents the Church well. Well, anywhere but Duke!



Go Cougs!



L Hatton

Louisville, KY
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.