Archived Topic

My favorite part of Thursday's game.

by vancouvercougar · 9/1/2012

Advertisement
V
vancouvercougar
I loved the shots of Brandon Doman in the booth after Taysom Hill threw the TD pass to Friel.



That man has a Passion for the game.
M
mizzoucoug
Our offensive playcalling has been stagnant for about 4 years now. It's nice to see some wrinkles thrown in there ala Boise State that show we have swagger. That's been my biggest beef with the team for a while now is that we play so vanilla and hope that execution of boring plays will somehow equal wins. I was pleased to see some creativity.
S
Schmoe
I think my favorite part was seeing the defense flying to the ball with some real closing speed and just laying hits on people, especially when KVN got around the corner and Tuel didn't see it coming.
G
Guest
I loved not seeing BYU helmets popping off on every play.
B
BroncoBot
hawkwing wrote:
I loved not seeing BYU helmets popping off on every play.

This REALLY bothered you, didn't it.
Advertisement
G
Guest
BroncoBot wrote:
I loved not seeing BYU helmets popping off on every play.

This REALLY bothered you, didn't it.

Yes, it really did. It's a death waiting to happen.
C
Cougs_Rule
Back to more noteworthy parts....

Loved it when Riley and Max chest bumped in the air after a TD.

Loved when Riely did the same to Taysom after his TD throw!

Loved, loved, loved that TE had TEs and 100+ yards!!!
S
Schmoe
dmcougar wrote:

Loved, loved, loved that TE had TEs...


You love that tight ends have tight ends? :bug: Is there something you'd like to tell us, dmc?
B
BroncoBot
hawkwing wrote:
hawkwing wrote:
I loved not seeing BYU helmets popping off on every play.

This REALLY bothered you, didn't it.

Yes, it really did. It's a death waiting to happen.

True, but football is a death waiting to happen. So is driving to and from the football game.
C
Cougs_Rule
Schmoe wrote:

Loved, loved, loved that TE had TEs...


You love that tight ends have tight ends? :bug: Is there something you'd like to tell us, dmc?


Hey. Whatever it takes! Byu found it and they need to keep doing whatever they are doing. It works.
Advertisement
G
Guest
BroncoBot wrote:
BroncoBot wrote:
I loved not seeing BYU helmets popping off on every play.

This REALLY bothered you, didn't it.

Yes, it really did. It's a death waiting to happen.

True, but football is a death waiting to happen. So is driving to and from the football game.

So minimize the risk. I don't want to watch people I care about drive without seatbelts, and I don't want to see players I care about play with helmets popping off every play. Especially when it's such an easy fix. Others may just see them as a means to the end of their entertainment but I want them to stay healthy too.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
V
vancouvercougar
hawkwing wrote:
hawkwing wrote:
hawkwing wrote:
I loved not seeing BYU helmets popping off on every play.

This REALLY bothered you, didn't it.

Yes, it really did. It's a death waiting to happen.

True, but football is a death waiting to happen. So is driving to and from the football game.

So minimize the risk. I don't want to watch people I care about drive without seatbelts, and I don't want to see players I care about play with helmets popping off every play. Especially when it's such an easy fix. Others may just see them as a means to the end of their entertainment but I want them to stay healthy too.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


Here Here Hawk. People can die, or be maimed, or injured in a whole lot of fluke ways--but we do all we can to minimized the risks. Fixing the helmets is an easy way to increase safety.
B
BroncoBot
vancouvercougar wrote:
BroncoBot wrote:
BroncoBot wrote:
I loved not seeing BYU helmets popping off on every play.

This REALLY bothered you, didn't it.

Yes, it really did. It's a death waiting to happen.

True, but football is a death waiting to happen. So is driving to and from the football game.

So minimize the risk. I don't want to watch people I care about drive without seatbelts, and I don't want to see players I care about play with helmets popping off every play. Especially when it's such an easy fix. Others may just see them as a means to the end of their entertainment but I want them to stay healthy too.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


Here Here Hawk. People can die, or be maimed, or injured in a whole lot of fluke ways--but we do all we can to minimized the risks. Fixing the helmets is an easy way to increase safety.

don't leave your house, use your iron, or drive (seat belt or no, still one of the more dangerous activities we do). Tell the EQ president you want to minimize your health risks next time he asks you to help someone move. ;) Of course I'm playing devil's advocate here. I also don't want to see anyone getting hurt and feel that BYU SHOULD take steps to protect their players.



I'm just not sure that helmets being more secure are more safe. They could be. But couldn't a helmet that is on too tight also be a risk? Ski binding that are on too tight come to mind. And of all the years I've watched and followed college/pro/high school football, I've never heard of someone getting killed because they lost their helmet. Heard of some kids getting killed with their helmets fully secured though. Not saying those kids died because their helmet was on too secure, but there are other more dangerous risks involved with football, and I just don't like the rule.



Back to the subject at hand... My favorite part of the game was JJ and BYU's secondary doing a very nice job with the "air raid" and the emergence of David Foot, E. Ansah, and S. Ridley. All guys that have put in their time and are enjoying the fruits of their labors.
S
scott715
I just thought of something. If it was late in the half and you wanted the clock to stop, put in a player with a loose helmet. It pops off, stops the clock, you replace him with someone else with a lose helmet and just swap those two players. Easy to do with a WR.
Y
Yndian
BroncoBot wrote:

I'm just not sure that helmets being more secure are more safe. They could be. But couldn't a helmet that is on too tight also be a risk? Ski binding that are on too tight come to mind. And of all the years I've watched and followed college/pro/high school football, I've never heard of someone getting killed because they lost their helmet. Heard of some kids getting killed with their helmets fully secured though. Not saying those kids died because their helmet was on too secure, but there are other more dangerous risks involved with football, and I just don't like the rule.


It's not about one-time injuries, it's about repeated collisions leading to concussion/brain problems. In terms of concussion protection, having a loose helmet is like having an egg carton where the eggs are all loose instead of snugly in their individual compartments: it's better than nothing, but not as effective as it could be.
Advertisement
B
BroncoBot
Yndian wrote:

I'm just not sure that helmets being more secure are more safe. They could be. But couldn't a helmet that is on too tight also be a risk? Ski binding that are on too tight come to mind. And of all the years I've watched and followed college/pro/high school football, I've never heard of someone getting killed because they lost their helmet. Heard of some kids getting killed with their helmets fully secured though. Not saying those kids died because their helmet was on too secure, but there are other more dangerous risks involved with football, and I just don't like the rule.


It's not about one-time injuries, it's about repeated collisions leading to concussion/brain problems. In terms of concussion protection, having a loose helmet is like having an egg carton where the eggs are all loose instead of snugly in their individual compartments: it's better than nothing, but not as effective as it could be.

evidence?
C
Cougy_Monster
mizzoucoug wrote:
Our offensive playcalling has been stagnant for about 4 years now. It's nice to see some wrinkles thrown in there ala Boise State that show we have swagger. That's been my biggest beef with the team for a while now is that we play so vanilla and hope that execution of boring plays will somehow equal wins. I was pleased to see some creativity.


This +1 +1 +1 and then +1
Y
Yndian
BroncoBot wrote:
BroncoBot wrote:

I'm just not sure that helmets being more secure are more safe. They could be. But couldn't a helmet that is on too tight also be a risk? Ski binding that are on too tight come to mind. And of all the years I've watched and followed college/pro/high school football, I've never heard of someone getting killed because they lost their helmet. Heard of some kids getting killed with their helmets fully secured though. Not saying those kids died because their helmet was on too secure, but there are other more dangerous risks involved with football, and I just don't like the rule.


It's not about one-time injuries, it's about repeated collisions leading to concussion/brain problems. In terms of concussion protection, having a loose helmet is like having an egg carton where the eggs are all loose instead of snugly in their individual compartments: it's better than nothing, but not as effective as it could be.

evidence?




From the American Orthopaedic Society for Sports Medicine:
“Athletes wearing properly fitted helmets, as reported by team certified athletic trainers, were 82% less likely to experience loss of consciousness (LOC) with a concussion."


Now, this is only one study, and that likelihood only accounts for the most severe symptom of concussions, but there is a correlation there.
B
BroncoBot
Yndian wrote:
Yndian wrote:

I'm just not sure that helmets being more secure are more safe. They could be. But couldn't a helmet that is on too tight also be a risk? Ski binding that are on too tight come to mind. And of all the years I've watched and followed college/pro/high school football, I've never heard of someone getting killed because they lost their helmet. Heard of some kids getting killed with their helmets fully secured though. Not saying those kids died because their helmet was on too secure, but there are other more dangerous risks involved with football, and I just don't like the rule.


It's not about one-time injuries, it's about repeated collisions leading to concussion/brain problems. In terms of concussion protection, having a loose helmet is like having an egg carton where the eggs are all loose instead of snugly in their individual compartments: it's better than nothing, but not as effective as it could be.

evidence?




From the American Orthopaedic Society for Sports Medicine:
“Athletes wearing properly fitted helmets, as reported by team certified athletic trainers, were 82% less likely to experience loss of consciousness (LOC) with a concussion."


Now, this is only one study, and that likelihood only accounts for the most severe symptom of concussions, but there is a correlation there.

Good enough for me. And it looks like helmets have drastically reduced the number of concussions experienced by American Football players over the last 50 years based on what I've read since this "favorite part of Thursday's game" thread started. (sorry for the thread jack.) Buckle up.
Y
Yndian
BroncoBot wrote:
BroncoBot wrote:
BroncoBot wrote:

I'm just not sure that helmets being more secure are more safe. They could be. But couldn't a helmet that is on too tight also be a risk? Ski binding that are on too tight come to mind. And of all the years I've watched and followed college/pro/high school football, I've never heard of someone getting killed because they lost their helmet. Heard of some kids getting killed with their helmets fully secured though. Not saying those kids died because their helmet was on too secure, but there are other more dangerous risks involved with football, and I just don't like the rule.


It's not about one-time injuries, it's about repeated collisions leading to concussion/brain problems. In terms of concussion protection, having a loose helmet is like having an egg carton where the eggs are all loose instead of snugly in their individual compartments: it's better than nothing, but not as effective as it could be.

evidence?




From the American Orthopaedic Society for Sports Medicine:
“Athletes wearing properly fitted helmets, as reported by team certified athletic trainers, were 82% less likely to experience loss of consciousness (LOC) with a concussion."


Now, this is only one study, and that likelihood only accounts for the most severe symptom of concussions, but there is a correlation there.

Good enough for me. And it looks like helmets have drastically reduced the number of concussions experienced by American Football players over the last 50 years based on what I've read since this "favorite part of Thursday's game" thread started. (sorry for the thread jack.) Buckle up.


How dare you cordially agree with me after I confront you with evidence!? Are you trying to impugn my message board honor!? Don't you know how the internet is supposed to work!?

:P
Page 1 of 2
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.