Archived Topic

So, ESPN hates its customers?

by tmoney35 · 9/1/2012

Advertisement
T
tmoney35
The apartment complex I'm at recently dropped cable. "No worries" I say to myself, "espn3 usually has most of the CFB games I want to see anyway."



So I fire up the 'ol laptop this morning, curious to see how Penn St. plays with everything that's happened, and what's this? WatchESPN? Must have a subscription to comcast? Well, geez if I had a subscription through comcast I wouldn't HAVE TO GO ONLINE TO WATCH SPORTS!



I can't imagine how much the cable companies paid to have ESPN restrict their access. So now what am I supposed to do?
B
BroncoBot
tmoney35 wrote:
The apartment complex I'm at recently dropped cable. "No worries" I say to myself, "espn3 usually has most of the CFB games I want to see anyway."



So I fire up the 'ol laptop this morning, curious to see how Penn St. plays with everything that's happened, and what's this? WatchESPN? Must have a subscription to comcast? Well, geez if I had a subscription through comcast I wouldn't HAVE TO GO ONLINE TO WATCH SPORTS!



I can't imagine how much the cable companies paid to have ESPN restrict their access. So now what am I supposed to do?

This was devastating to me as well. Worked so well last year (via RCN). one solution is getting internet access (no TV) through Comcast which should give you access to the games.



This has got to be a direct result of so many people dropping their TV subscriptions in favor of watching shows online. ESPN is one of the few "must have" channels, so if you can't watch ESPN online, you'll be tempted to get another TV subscription.



I personally will continue to pirate TV via justintv/channelsurfing/others as I have no desire to buy a TV contract for only ESPN. I'll wait until I can just pay 10-15 dollars a month to have access to ESPN. Which I would gladly pay.
S
Schmoe
If by customers you mean people who pay to have TV service with ESPN, then no, I don't think they hate their customers. If you mean do they hate people who want to just jump on their site and watch all the games without having to give a nickel, I'd still say no, they don't hate those people, they just don't provide them with free football to watch.
B
BroncoBot
Schmoe wrote:
If by customers you mean people who pay to have TV service with ESPN, then no, I don't think they hate their customers. If you mean do they hate people who want to just jump on their site and watch all the games without having to give a nickel, I'd still say no, they don't hate those people, they just don't provide them with free football to watch.

I wasn't watching "free" football last year, as I was paying 29.99 a month for internet service that had an agreement with ESPN3/watchESPN. I just want to know what changed since then, and why.
T
tmoney35
Schmoe wrote:
If by customers you mean people who pay to have TV service with ESPN, then no, I don't think they hate their customers. If you mean do they hate people who want to just jump on their site and watch all the games without having to give a nickel, I'd still say no, they don't hate those people, they just don't provide them with free football to watch.


I just wish they would've decided to go with more ads during live streams instead of cutting their online viewer based in half


there is a gap between those who have access to ESPN3 (73m) and those who have access to WatchESPN (40m), we're anticipating some negative fan reaction beginning with the first weekend of college football (9/1)


http://deadspin.com/5938857/espn-prepping-its-talent-for-a-twitter-shitstorm-after-deciding-to-no-longer-air-must+watch-games-on-espn3
Advertisement
N
NCPUMA
The problem here in the southeast is these friggin blacked out games.. Trying to watch at work and my ISP even allows ESPN3 but every game worth watching has been blacked out. But to ESPN's credit, at least they're letting me watch the much-anticipated marquee matchup of fort valley state versus delta state..? This is worthless.
B
BroncoBot
NCPUMA wrote:
The problem here in the southeast is these friggin blacked out games.. Trying to watch at work and my ISP even allows ESPN3 but every game worth watching has been blacked out. But to ESPN's credit, at least they're letting me watch the much-anticipated marquee matchup of fort valley state versus delta state..? This is worthless.

Same here in Philadelphia. I'm staying at a friends house for the month doing a rotation. He does get ESPN3 but the game was blacked out. I could get some nice DII action though.
T
tmoney35
BroncoBot wrote:
The problem here in the southeast is these friggin blacked out games.. Trying to watch at work and my ISP even allows ESPN3 but every game worth watching has been blacked out. But to ESPN's credit, at least they're letting me watch the much-anticipated marquee matchup of fort valley state versus delta state..? This is worthless.

Same here in Philadelphia. I'm staying at a friends house for the month doing a rotation. He does get ESPN3 but the game was blacked out. I could get some nice DII action though.


What does ESPN gain from blacking out its games in certain areas? I'm genuinely curious
B
BroncoBot
tmoney35 wrote:
NCPUMA wrote:
The problem here in the southeast is these friggin blacked out games.. Trying to watch at work and my ISP even allows ESPN3 but every game worth watching has been blacked out. But to ESPN's credit, at least they're letting me watch the much-anticipated marquee matchup of fort valley state versus delta state..? This is worthless.

Same here in Philadelphia. I'm staying at a friends house for the month doing a rotation. He does get ESPN3 but the game was blacked out. I could get some nice DII action though.


What does ESPN gain from blacking out its games in certain areas? I'm genuinely curious

I really have no idea.



I've often wondered why ESPN3 doesn't play commercials during games. Wouldn't this be additional audience for advertising? I would think that ESPN could possibly make MORE money by allowing most internet providers access to ESPN3 and then advertising with ESPN3.
S
snoscythe
Commercials for online streams are problematic regardless of format. Unless the advertising contract explicitly calls for it, you can't stream it because it's a copyright violation, and marketing companies are having a hard time accommodating requests to make ads available for streaming because their contracts with the talent are industry standard forms that don't address compensation for streaming appearances, so if they use it even with the marketing company's permission, they get their butts sued by the Actors' Guild for using likenesses without permission. Even if they get separate contracts and separate ads for streaming, they still get sued by the people who are paying for TV ads for breach of the implied covenant of fair-dealing--they paid for advertising during the game, but ESPN is out there making money off the streaming instead of trying to maximize the advertiser's profit. Streaming has been an ugly mess for broadcasters and marketers.



Radio is just now starting to get SOME of their ads worked out, but the video stuff is far behind because of the Guild wanting the same compensation for streaming appearances as for broadcast appearances, so they haven't approved any changes to the industry standard contracts. What that means for ESPN is that if you watch on the TV, they get paid by advertisers, but if you watch on ESPN3, they aren't getting paid by advertisers. Some providers (Comcast etc.) pay an added premium to ESPN to let you watch ESPN3, but it's not much. So if ESPN wants to maximize their income, they need to drive your eyeballs away from the streaming and back to the TV set.



Blame the lefties in Hollywood.
Advertisement
B
BroncoBot
snoscythe wrote:
Some providers (Comcast etc.) pay an added premium to ESPN to let you watch ESPN3, but it's not much.

Aren't they under the same parent company?
S
snoscythe
BroncoBot wrote:
Some providers (Comcast etc.) pay an added premium to ESPN to let you watch ESPN3, but it's not much.

Aren't they under the same parent company?


Not at all. ESPN is owned by Disney and Hearst. Comcast is publicly traded on NASDAQ.



Comcast is a majority owner in NBC, and Disney also owns ABC, which might be the source of confusion....
C
Cougarbib
tmoney35 wrote:
NCPUMA wrote:
The problem here in the southeast is these friggin blacked out games.. Trying to watch at work and my ISP even allows ESPN3 but every game worth watching has been blacked out. But to ESPN's credit, at least they're letting me watch the much-anticipated marquee matchup of fort valley state versus delta state..? This is worthless.

Same here in Philadelphia. I'm staying at a friends house for the month doing a rotation. He does get ESPN3 but the game was blacked out. I could get some nice DII action though.


What does ESPN gain from blacking out its games in certain areas? I'm genuinely curious

Nothing - they are required to do so by the contract with the team. Otherwise - they cannot sell out their stadiums or meet TV contract requirements. ESPN makes money selling subscriptions - not giving free access so people can avoud buying subscriptions. The cable outlets that pay ESPN and carry them protect their product contractually. BYU should require blackouts locally for the same reason - to fill LES.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
B
BroncoBot
Cougarbib wrote:
BroncoBot wrote:
The problem here in the southeast is these friggin blacked out games.. Trying to watch at work and my ISP even allows ESPN3 but every game worth watching has been blacked out. But to ESPN's credit, at least they're letting me watch the much-anticipated marquee matchup of fort valley state versus delta state..? This is worthless.

Same here in Philadelphia. I'm staying at a friends house for the month doing a rotation. He does get ESPN3 but the game was blacked out. I could get some nice DII action though.


What does ESPN gain from blacking out its games in certain areas? I'm genuinely curious

Nothing - they are required to do so by the contract with the team. Otherwise - they cannot sell out their stadiums or meet TV contract requirements. ESPN makes money selling subscriptions - not giving free access so people can avoud buying subscriptions. The cable outlets that pay ESPN and carry them protect their product contractually. BYU should require blackouts locally for the same reason - to fill LES.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">

Why weren't they required to black out games last year or in 2010? I was able to watch every game that espn featured in philadelphia. But this year, it's totally different. I don't see how blacking out the game on the east coast helps attendance at LES. And if I'm not getting ESPN3/watchESPN with my internet subscription, I'll just find the most inexpensive company for internet and start watching the games at sports bars. I'd rather support local business on game day. The only reason I've stuck with my current internet subscription is because they offered ESPN3/watchESPN in the past.
B
BerliNY
Cougarbib wrote:
BroncoBot wrote:
The problem here in the southeast is these friggin blacked out games.. Trying to watch at work and my ISP even allows ESPN3 but every game worth watching has been blacked out. But to ESPN's credit, at least they're letting me watch the much-anticipated marquee matchup of fort valley state versus delta state..? This is worthless.

Same here in Philadelphia. I'm staying at a friends house for the month doing a rotation. He does get ESPN3 but the game was blacked out. I could get some nice DII action though.


What does ESPN gain from blacking out its games in certain areas? I'm genuinely curious

Nothing - they are required to do so by the contract with the team. Otherwise - they cannot sell out their stadiums or meet TV contract requirements. ESPN makes money selling subscriptions - not giving free access so people can avoud buying subscriptions. The cable outlets that pay ESPN and carry them protect their product contractually. BYU should require blackouts locally for the same reason - to fill LES.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


Local blackouts sure, no problem, I get it. But if I'm in, say, Virginia, and BYU is playing Washington St why should I be blacked out? Makes no sense. It's not like I'm any more likely to go to the game if I can't get it on TV.
Advertisement
B
BerliNY
snoscythe wrote:
Commercials for online streams are problematic regardless of format. Unless the advertising contract explicitly calls for it, you can't stream it because it's a copyright violation, and marketing companies are having a hard time accommodating requests to make ads available for streaming because their contracts with the talent are industry standard forms that don't address compensation for streaming appearances, so if they use it even with the marketing company's permission, they get their butts sued by the Actors' Guild for using likenesses without permission. Even if they get separate contracts and separate ads for streaming, they still get sued by the people who are paying for TV ads for breach of the implied covenant of fair-dealing--they paid for advertising during the game, but ESPN is out there making money off the streaming instead of trying to maximize the advertiser's profit. Streaming has been an ugly mess for broadcasters and marketers.



Radio is just now starting to get SOME of their ads worked out, but the video stuff is far behind because of the Guild wanting the same compensation for streaming appearances as for broadcast appearances, so they haven't approved any changes to the industry standard contracts. What that means for ESPN is that if you watch on the TV, they get paid by advertisers, but if you watch on ESPN3, they aren't getting paid by advertisers. Some providers (Comcast etc.) pay an added premium to ESPN to let you watch ESPN3, but it's not much. So if ESPN wants to maximize their income, they need to drive your eyeballs away from the streaming and back to the TV set.



Blame the lefties in Hollywood.


This makes even less sense: ESPN is willing to go to the trouble of arranging all the infrastructure so that a game not shown on ESPN/ESPN2/ESPNU can be shown on ESPN3 but then doesn't show ads on it and then blacks out the ENTIRE except AZ and HI (this was the case on most of the blackout maps for the ESPN3 games I tried to stream yesterday). Why would ESPN do this? Get all of the fixed-cost items out of the way only to restrict the audience to Alaska and Hawaii?
J
JamieVallen
Uh yeah let's black out the game so we can get 3,000 more people sitting in their seats even know the tickets have usually always been bought up for a sell out, and by the end of the 3rd quarter the same and 10,000 more people will have already left because we're knocking the puss out Out of New Mexico St.



Put a descent enough product on the field at "Mormon" reasonable times and people will show every time. but comparing one versuses the other where we have these odd start times on ESPN vs. games when we want and limiting our big time network exposure, then BYU is already making the right choice. Black it out? I'll start checking box scores and watching much more Ohio St. games



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
B
BroncoBot
JamieVallen wrote:
. Black it out? I'll start checking box scores and watching much more Ohio St. games



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">

which might be exactly what they want. More eyes on the big name games.
B
BroncoBot
how long does our contract with ESPN last? BYU, if they are serious about exposure, should require that the games be available in non-local areas on ESPN3 during the next contract negotiations.
S
SHIZ
i cant believe somebody is already complaining about the espn contract and wondering when it ends



how quickly we forget the dark days on the mtn channel
Page 1 of 2
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.