S
shakavakaFirst off.. I'm really not trying to be full of myself, I just didnt see an overall thread of the game. So here are some of my thoughts.
1. Riley looked good. I have always been very, VERY critical of Nelson. I was a huge Heaps supporter :sick: . But Riley won me over last night, the way he ran the offense was smooth, efficient and fast.
2. The Hurry up. BYU was basically unstoppable running the no huddle, it was very fun to watch, very efficient. Seems like They kind of went away from it in the second half (undersandable since we were already up by 2-3 TDs).
3. BYU TE is has returned! We have a TD that can catch a ball! Watching Friel get so many catches was sweet. Granted, I'm sure a lot of it was due to Hoffman being out, but still, they gave him chances and he made them count. 101 yards wasnt it?
4. STELLAR Defense. I don't care that this team is doing a new system, I dont care how good/bad their offense was last year. Their first drive in the game was going EXACTLY how they wanted it to and we got the INT. We let them move the ball on the first few drives but after that the defense stepped up in a huge way. On both drives that WSU scored, there were multiple penalties on the drive. No TDs. HUGE
5. Blue Zone inefficiencies. Probably the biggest negative for us, I think mostly it is due to it being the first game. Seemed like once we got into the blue zone Nelson got happy feet and kept trying to run it too soon. I would imagine they'll be doing a lot of blue zone practice this week.
6. Better running attack. We ran it 41 total times, Alisa only had 13 carries for 54 yards. Foote ran like a man with 26 yards on only 4 attempts. I want to see foote get it more, maybe a less QB draws?
7 Taysom Hill. After re watching the game, I noticed something that really made me excited, on the 4th and 2 when Hill came in, he looked calm, he had his game face on. For a freshman QB on a 4th down in a game opener to look that calm really made me surprised. I realize this doesn't transfer to being a great QB, but it definitely helps. I'm excited to see him play some more.
8. The Kicking game, surprisingly good considering. Stephson 3-4, I'll take it. It surprises me how much we forget as fans. I heard a lot of grumblings when Stephenson missed his FG.. Sorenson wasn't that good last year. If he was in, I wouldn't have been surprised at all to see him miss the same kick.
9. Penalties. BYU was obviously very pumped and energetic last night. Bronco will NOT let these penalties go. Don't expect this next game (in part because its only Weber state 8) )
I've heard a lot from media members and reading other posts, it was the first game. We'll make huge improvements over the next couple weeks and put a beat down on the :utard:
Remember how we felt after game one last year? Oh man, this feels SOOO MUCH BETTER!!!
EDIT: I feel dumb, just saw the game analysis thread.. my bad
1. Riley looked good. I have always been very, VERY critical of Nelson. I was a huge Heaps supporter :sick: . But Riley won me over last night, the way he ran the offense was smooth, efficient and fast.
2. The Hurry up. BYU was basically unstoppable running the no huddle, it was very fun to watch, very efficient. Seems like They kind of went away from it in the second half (undersandable since we were already up by 2-3 TDs).
3. BYU TE is has returned! We have a TD that can catch a ball! Watching Friel get so many catches was sweet. Granted, I'm sure a lot of it was due to Hoffman being out, but still, they gave him chances and he made them count. 101 yards wasnt it?
4. STELLAR Defense. I don't care that this team is doing a new system, I dont care how good/bad their offense was last year. Their first drive in the game was going EXACTLY how they wanted it to and we got the INT. We let them move the ball on the first few drives but after that the defense stepped up in a huge way. On both drives that WSU scored, there were multiple penalties on the drive. No TDs. HUGE
5. Blue Zone inefficiencies. Probably the biggest negative for us, I think mostly it is due to it being the first game. Seemed like once we got into the blue zone Nelson got happy feet and kept trying to run it too soon. I would imagine they'll be doing a lot of blue zone practice this week.
6. Better running attack. We ran it 41 total times, Alisa only had 13 carries for 54 yards. Foote ran like a man with 26 yards on only 4 attempts. I want to see foote get it more, maybe a less QB draws?
7 Taysom Hill. After re watching the game, I noticed something that really made me excited, on the 4th and 2 when Hill came in, he looked calm, he had his game face on. For a freshman QB on a 4th down in a game opener to look that calm really made me surprised. I realize this doesn't transfer to being a great QB, but it definitely helps. I'm excited to see him play some more.
8. The Kicking game, surprisingly good considering. Stephson 3-4, I'll take it. It surprises me how much we forget as fans. I heard a lot of grumblings when Stephenson missed his FG.. Sorenson wasn't that good last year. If he was in, I wouldn't have been surprised at all to see him miss the same kick.
9. Penalties. BYU was obviously very pumped and energetic last night. Bronco will NOT let these penalties go. Don't expect this next game (in part because its only Weber state 8) )
I've heard a lot from media members and reading other posts, it was the first game. We'll make huge improvements over the next couple weeks and put a beat down on the :utard:
Remember how we felt after game one last year? Oh man, this feels SOOO MUCH BETTER!!!
EDIT: I feel dumb, just saw the game analysis thread.. my bad

