Archived Topic

Gary Patterson

by EM_Puma · 11/13/2009

Advertisement
E
EM_Puma
It will be interesting, whether or not TCU makes it to a BCS bowl, whether Gary Patterson will be back next year or not. I guess it depends on what coaching positions are open and available. If I were Patterson, I'd be very selective, like Oscar Meyer was in picking Florida over Notre Dame. I know that there were some inquiries last off season, one being Auburn I believe, but I was surprised then that he was still at TCU. He might like TCU a lot, but it has to be hard to pass up the money that you could make elsewhere and you would think that he has to be, like Urban Meyer was at the end of his second season at Utah, one of the hottest tickets out there with this probably being his fourth 11 plus win season.



Last night during the halftime of the USF/Rutgers game, May and Holtz were slobbering all over Patterson and TCU. Holtz went as far as to say that TCU would have done very well in the Big 12, making it sound like the only one that could give them any challenge would be Texas and as they said, TCU would love to get a shot at them in the national championship. Texas and TCU though are probably one of the most unlikely of the possible national championship possibilities because that would only happen if both Alabama and Florida lost between now and the end and while we know one will, I can't see both. To me, it will be far more of a tragedy for college football if TCU runs the table and doesn't get a shot at the national title than it was for Utah. I think Utah had a great bowl win last season, but generally speaking, talk of their prowness as a national champion contender to me was overexagerated. Great season, not national championship caliber. TCU on the other hand hits me as a team that should merit the opportunity.
S
SpiffCoug
Patterson has turned down BCS jobs in the past. I've heard rumors of Colorado looking at Whittingham. If Patterson and Whittingham eventually move on from the MWC to a BCS team, I hope it's not a lateral move. IMO, going from Utah to Colorado or from TCU to say Baylor would be a step down in my opinion.
L
Lawboy
Coach P makes over $2M a yar at TCU, and not all BCS coaches make that coin. He has a plum job at a school he can now recruit to and build up, make tons of money, and have a student body, trustee board and alumni that love him. At $2M a year, why leave, unless a top 10 job opened that doubled his pay. Otherwise, he stays.



As far as Utah 2008 goes, I think they could play with any team on any given day last year because their D was good enough. 3 NFL players drafted from it last year, 3-4 more after this year. 7 defensive players with NFL ability is elite level. The offense was just ok, but that D, much like TCU's this year, was for real. I would salivate at our chances of a national title with a D like that is all I know.
M
Mars


Wazzou still needs a good coach...
C
cachevalleycougar
As does UNM - yeah Lobos! :bug:
Advertisement
W
wazzucoug97
Mars wrote:


Wazzou still needs a good coach...


I will second that!
L
Lawboy
wazzucoug97 wrote:


Wazzou still needs a good coach...


I will second that!




Robb Akey has Wazzou ties. How bout him? I am a fan, and I knew him when I played collegiate golf at Weber State, where he both played and coached for the football team in the late 80's and early 90s. He was a Mike Price guy, too, which would go over well at Wazzou. Good coach, way intense.
B
BoiseBYU
Mars wrote:


Wazzou still needs a good coach...


They have a coach?!? No way!
8
88Coug
Patterson's wife is from Fort Worth. Patterson gets everything he wants at TCU. Patterson has a perfect recruiting area. TCU is No. 4 with BCS game and a chance at the BCS title. He is highly compensated. Why does he need another job?
B
BroncoBot
Think Patterson would go for a position at BYU coaching under Mendenhall??? :evil:
Advertisement
E
EM_Puma
Lawboy wrote:
Coach P makes over $2M a yar at TCU, and not all BCS coaches make that coin. He has a plum job at a school he can now recruit to and build up, make tons of money, and have a student body, trustee board and alumni that love him. At $2M a year, why leave, unless a top 10 job opened that doubled his pay. Otherwise, he stays.



As far as Utah 2008 goes, I think they could play with any team on any given day last year because their D was good enough. 3 NFL players drafted from it last year, 3-4 more after this year. 7 defensive players with NFL ability is elite level. The offense was just ok, but that D, much like TCU's this year, was for real. I would salivate at our chances of a national title with a D like that is all I know.


Wow, I had never heard or seen anything that said he made that kind of money. I'm not from Missouri (the show me state), but I'd have to see that in writing before I believed Patterson was being paid that kind of money. Last article I had seen depicting the salaries of MWC coaches, he wasn't at that level, so that's what spauns my doubt. So apparently you have and I'd like to see it.
C
CAFB_04-12
Is TCU a private University? Probably pays better than a state Uni.
B
BYUROCKS
declocoug wrote:
Think Patterson would go for a position at BYU coaching under Mendenhall??? :evil:




ohhhh Him as our D cord =D
M
Mars


Patterson supposedly makes $1.2MM a year base salary, $2.3MM after bonuses if he goes undefeated and finishes ranked #1 with a national championship.
8
88Coug
Mars wrote:


Patterson supposedly makes $1.2MM a year base salary, $2.3MM after bonuses if he goes undefeated and finishes ranked #1 with a national championship.


His base salary, before any other additions, is 1.8m according to USAToday. He gets more money from non-schools sources, plus extensive bonuses. TCU is a very rich school (with a lot of very rich alums) and will match any salary offer.



Patterson's top concern is whether he can build a national contender at TCU, not the paycheck (as huge as it is already).
Advertisement
S
snoscythe
I remember Bronco being asked at media days about Patterson's raise to around $2M per year. Bronco, of course, just offered comment on how good the conference is.
M
Mars
88Coug wrote:
His base salary, before any other additions, is 1.8m according to USAToday.

Since TCU is a private school, I think a lot of sources are just guessing.
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.