Archived Topic

Game Analysis

by scott715 · 8/31/2012

Advertisement
S
scott715
Maybe we can get all of the topics in one thread instead of several threads. Questions I want to throw our are 1) what was RN and TH's PERs? I am guessing 170. RN was 69.4% completion. BD wants at least 65% and RN wants 70%. He was there. TH looked good with the TD. I was yelling don't throw, good throw. Good play under pressure.



2) What were the other PERs? RBs did not do too well as a whole.



3) Assess the OL? I did not see a lot of improvement. WSU's run D was much impoved.



4) It looks like we have a pass rush again or was it a bad OL for WSU?



5) Assess the DB's? We shut down Wilson.



6) How was the tackling and the team prep? I was impressed.



7) The TE is back. Friel has 2 TDs and 101 yards. Did any otherTEs play?
M
Matty-B
Holt played and had a catch
R
redneckjedi
I'd say on 4) that our pass rush was kind of weak, but a lot of the time we were dropping 8, so it makes sense. I think the game plan was to force them to execute the short passing game to perfection, with no deep stuff. Tuel had all day almost every play when we didn't blitz, and even some times when we did, but had nobody to throw to.
I
IowaCougar
Turning point - After BYU punted on it's first drive, WSU was driving very effectively down the field on its first possession. After the interception on the tipped pass, WSU never looked the same, and BYU played with increased confidence, scoring on the ensuing drive.



What might have been a turning point the other direction: On WSU's first drive, a ball was tipped on a 3rd-down pass, and should have been intercepted. The ball was dropped, and WSU went on to convert their 4th down play. This became moot after the interception mentioned above.
V
vancouvercougar
scott715 wrote:
Maybe we can get all of the topics in one thread instead of several threads. Questions I want to throw our are 1) what was RN and TH's PERs? I am guessing 170. RN was 69.4% completion. BD wants at least 65% and RN wants 70%. He was there. TH looked good with the TD. I was yelling don't throw, good throw. Good play under pressure.



2) What were the other PERs? RBs did not do too well as a whole.



3) Assess the OL? I did not see a lot of improvement. WSU's run D was much impoved.



4) It looks like we have a pass rush again or was it a bad OL for WSU?



5) Assess the DB's? We shut down Wilson.



6) How was the tackling and the team prep? I was impressed.



7) The TE is back. Friel has 2 TDs and 101 yards. Did any otherTEs play?


Taysom's PER must be astronomical
Advertisement
Y
Y 4 Ever
I was most impressed with our pass coverage. They did a good job most of the game. Luckily wsu's two biggest plays were called back. Also impressed with Ridley. He looks like a gamer. Foote and falslev also looked good. and of course van not and friel were great.



I was least impressed with the blue zone offense. Seriously, how many consecutive 1st and goals at the 9 can you fail to convert to td's? (answer: 3). Also not impressed with oline play. Made wsu look like they were strong up front when they are not. Worried about what will happen when we play a team with a good d line :utard:



All in all a good performance for the first game. D was better than I expected, o struggled more than I expected. Good win over a decent team, but with areas to improve. Now we have a scimmage next Saturday to iron out the issues and get ready for :utard:



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
S
scott715
Will Ziggy see more PT? I think he will play a lot next week. Hill too.
M
Mythranor
Posted this on the Offensive Goals thread but it should help answer question 1.



Game 1 Results



PER 165.82 (Nelson: 154.25, Hill: 581.2)

Completion Percentage: 70.27% (Riley: 69.4%, Hill: 100%)

37 Passes in the game with 26 completions

Yards 303 (Nelson:285, Hill:18)

TD:Int Ratio: 3:0



Looks like a good start to Doman's goals.
S
scott715
Also I only saw one three-and-out. Another key stat.
G
Guest
scott715 wrote:
Also I only saw one three-and-out. Another key stat.

When was the three and out? I don't recall one.
Advertisement
Y
Y 4 Ever
scott715 wrote:
Also I only saw one three-and-out. Another key stat.


The only 3 and out I remember is when BYU started with the ball 1st and goal at the 9 after Johnson's pick, and failed to score a TD. Since we scored a fg, I guess it's not technically a 3 and out though. But I still think of it as a 3 and out since we didn't get a TD.
G
Guest
Y 4 Ever wrote:
Also I only saw one three-and-out. Another key stat.


The only 3 and out I remember is when BYU started with the ball 1st and goal at the 9 after Johnson's pick, and failed to score a TD. Since we scored a fg, I guess it's not technically a 3 and out though. But I still think of it as a 3 and out since we didn't get a TD.


So no 3 and outs, that's pretty awesome!
U
UliUli79
I spent most of the first half shaking my head about our pass rush before I realized that Bronco nailed this one in game planning and our secondary was playing lights out. Tuel couldn't find the holes in our coverage and WSU's offense started to break down. Biggest concern in O-line play. If we made a mediocre defensive front-4 look that good, how are we going to do against a good one like... dare I say it... the U? Every one else did quite well for a first game.
G
Gunk
No 3 and out. We only punted twice, I think. Went something like 6 or 7 possessions in a row with a score.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
F
frdbtr
Gunk wrote:
No 3 and out. We only punted twice, I think. Went something like 6 or 7 possessions in a row with a score.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


I only remember one punt.
Advertisement
B
blue42
frdbtr wrote:
No 3 and out. We only punted twice, I think. Went something like 6 or 7 possessions in a row with a score.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


I only remember one punt.


There were two, the first drive of the game and the second to last drive of the game.
T
tmoney35
scott715 wrote:
Will Ziggy see more PT? I think he will play a lot next week. Hill too.


I was impressed with Ziggy. He would just straight up bull rushed his blocker, almost pushing him into Tuel a couple times. If he could a better job of actually getting around his blocker, I have no doubt he would become a sack machine and could find a place in the NFL. Probably just as a 3rd and long pass rusher, but still. I think he'll continue to push for more playing time throughout the season. I was actually surprise by how much he played in this game.



With that said, he was helped off the field after the blocked punt. I haven't heard what his injury status is. Anyone see if he got back in the game after that?
L
Lawboy
I thought our pass rush was AWESOME. Compared to last year, it was an amazing improvement. We actually got some pressure with a 3 man rush as Ziggy often collpased the pocket. And when KVN came as the 4th rusher, the pressure was there. We rarely rushed more than 4, which is great because it means we did not have to gamble much, but when we did, we created pressure and forced Tuel into quick throws. It is typically hard to get presssure rushing just 4 with 5 linemen to beat.



Huge improvement over 2011. HUGE.
U
Ungoy
tmoney35 wrote:
With that said, he was helped off the field after the blocked punt. I haven't heard what his injury status is. Anyone see if he got back in the game after that?


I heard it was a mild shoulder sprain. IIRC, Ziggy played in the game after the injury.
Page 1 of 5
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.