Archived Topic

Thoughts on LES upgrades

by tmoney35 · 8/31/2012

Advertisement
T
tmoney35
LOVE the video boards. They're big and the image looks fantastic. Whoever is in charge of showing replays was awful though. Horrible camera angles and it would take so long to get the video rolling that the next play would start. I don't remember those problems in previous years, especially with the crappy camera work, but I've been wrong before.



The light strips along the top are REALLY annoying. I don't usually mind ads, but a lot of these were just obnoxious, especially the one that would go like a freaking strobe light. Really distracting.
S
srcougar
Loved all the upgrades. Was so frustrated that the down and yards were always off. One time it said 3rd and 57. The technical crew needs to work on polishing their product. It was still amazing and loved the upgrades!
C
CAFB_04-12
In fairness, I think Wazzu at one point had 3rd and a billion.
W
Wickchad
I hope the players on the field can't see the LED ribbon. The flashing strobe light ads were very annoying and they were running while our offense was running plays. They should only be having strobe lights going while the other team is on offense...
S
SpiffCoug
Screens were great. LED ribbon, should be used for stats as well as advertisements.
Advertisement
E
EM_Puma
From the comfort of my recliner, it all looked wonderful. Didn't have to deal with the strobing ribbon, but really, that would be annoying. The place looked good. I couldn't tell from the TV what they were doing with the ribbons.
B
BigCougsFan
They have always been crappy on the instant replays AND that was hella annoying, but all the upgrades looked awesome on the television set.
B
blue42
SpiffCoug wrote:
Screens were great. LED ribbon, should be used for stats as well as advertisements.


I agree. Boards looked great, they just need to learn how to use them.



Replays were awful and it looks like the ribbon is only going to be used for ads.... too bad, annoying strobes going off when BYU was on offense was very distracting.



The 25 second clock on the field was extremely bright you could probably heat up dinner on them.... BYU should never have a delay of game penalty unless they get blinded by looking at them.
M
Magnus Ver Magnusson
Agreed--the boards and ribbon looked gorgeous, but the flashing lights are horribly distracting. There were epileptic seizures breaking out all around me. (I actually got to go to the game as my kid's surgery was postponed and a neighbor had an extra ticket). I know it's the world in which we live, but I do hate how everything has to have a sponsor. Touchdowns brought to you by Vivint...2nd and goal brought to you by Les Olson...Personal foul on #47 brought to you by Excedrin. My favorite was the old saying "another Cougar 1st down" which somehow got changed at times to "another Cougar 3rd down conversion" :gross: .
U
Ungoy
Magnus Ver Magnusson wrote:
Agreed--the boards and ribbon looked gorgeous, but the flashing lights are horribly distracting. There were epileptic seizures breaking out all around me. (I actually got to go to the game as my kid's surgery was postponed and a neighbor had an extra ticket). I know it's the world in which we live, but I do hate how everything has to have a sponsor. Touchdowns brought to you by Vivint...2nd and goal brought to you by Les Olson...Personal foul on #47 brought to you by Excedrin. My favorite was the old saying "another Cougar 1st down" which somehow got changed at times to "another Cougar 3rd down conversion" :gross: .


Another 3rd Down conversion brought to you by Farmers.
Advertisement
S
SpiffCoug
The other thing that bothered me was, during the replays, the video boards would switch to full screen, which changed the aspect of the picture, causing a split-second shadow delay on the screen, that was very annoying. Don't change the aspect.
C
Cougs_Rule
Replay guys started to get that figured out by the 4th Q. But to their credit, the hurry up on both sides makes it tougher. But it was annoying and it was far below the quality of the boards themselves.

Ribbons: annoying, superfluous. I'm not sure I really noticed one company's ads. Ts concerns me bc. I think we will see more epileptic inducing flashing ads going on bc otherwise they are unnoticeable. Of anything people will want to look away bc it was so aversive.

But the vid screens were large enough and amazing with clarity.
R
redneckjedi
They should use the ribbons for stats and scores of other games. If they are just for ads, it is a gross misuse of revenue. If you're going to upgrade your stadium, you should be upgrading the gameday experience, not downgrade it by injecting yet more advertising.



To be clear: you want to show an ad or two? Not a problem. You want to do ONLY ads, and never augment the game experience with stats, scores, cheerleading, etc? FAIL.
U
Ungoy
redneckjedi wrote:
They should use the ribbons for stats and scores of other games. If they are just for ads, it is a gross misuse of revenue. If you're going to upgrade your stadium, you should be upgrading the gameday experience, not downgrade it by injecting yet more advertising.



To be clear: you want to show an ad or two? Not a problem. You want to do ONLY ads, and never augment the game experience with stats, scores, cheerleading, etc? FAIL.


THIS! I have said all along that BYU needs to utilize those ribbon boards for displaying game stats for the game, and scores from around the country.
S
scott715
Will the replays keep the PAC refs honest? Did they replay get up before the next play? There should be enough time to do it.
Advertisement
Y
YNot
tmoney35 wrote:
LOVE the video boards. They're big and the image looks fantastic. Whoever is in charge of showing replays was awful though. Horrible camera angles and it would take so long to get the video rolling that the next play would start. I don't remember those problems in previous years, especially with the crappy camera work, but I've been wrong before.


I agree that it can improve. But the hurry-up style of BOTH offenses didn't help either. There were almost 140 plays from scrimmage yesterday. BYU had 48 plays in the first half. That is awesome. Both teams were consistently snapping the ball only 15-20 seconds after the previous play. Would have been even more plays if it had been a closer game in the 4th quarter.



For comparison, the Vanderbilt-SC game saw 121 total plays. Utah-N. Colorado, 126 plays. The Minnesota-UNLV game, that went to 3 overtimes, had 148 plays.
G
Guest
Ungoy wrote:
Agreed--the boards and ribbon looked gorgeous, but the flashing lights are horribly distracting. There were epileptic seizures breaking out all around me. (I actually got to go to the game as my kid's surgery was postponed and a neighbor had an extra ticket). I know it's the world in which we live, but I do hate how everything has to have a sponsor. Touchdowns brought to you by Vivint...2nd and goal brought to you by Les Olson...Personal foul on #47 brought to you by Excedrin. My favorite was the old saying "another Cougar 1st down" which somehow got changed at times to "another Cougar 3rd down conversion" :gross: .


Another 3rd Down conversion brought to you by Farmers.


I for one never mind the sponsorship, hey if BYU can get an extra million or 10 out of it, that's great.



I would like to see stats in addition to the advertisements on the ribbon boards.



The ribbons never strobed during the play, only in between plays, and it seemed less annoying as the night went on to me.
Y
YNot
I thought it was weird that the "Worker's Compensation Fund" had ribbon ads. Really? I pay worker's comp insurance so they can throw money on advertising at BYU football games?



Actually, that allows me to make an indirect contribution to BYU athletics! Nevermind.
W
Wickchad
hawkwing wrote:
Magnus Ver Magnusson wrote:
Agreed--the boards and ribbon looked gorgeous, but the flashing lights are horribly distracting. There were epileptic seizures breaking out all around me. (I actually got to go to the game as my kid's surgery was postponed and a neighbor had an extra ticket). I know it's the world in which we live, but I do hate how everything has to have a sponsor. Touchdowns brought to you by Vivint...2nd and goal brought to you by Les Olson...Personal foul on #47 brought to you by Excedrin. My favorite was the old saying "another Cougar 1st down" which somehow got changed at times to "another Cougar 3rd down conversion" :gross: .


Another 3rd Down conversion brought to you by Farmers.


I for one never mind the sponsorship, hey if BYU can get an extra million or 10 out of it, that's great.



I would like to see stats in addition to the advertisements on the ribbon boards.



The ribbons never strobed during the play, only in between plays, and it seemed less annoying as the night went on to me.


Actually the ribbons did strob during plays. Particuarly during the 1st quarter and I was getting pissed off that they didn't stop doing it. During our first two drives the ads were going on constantly. I didn't notice if they stopped doing it later in the game. The MACU ad was the worst offender with the strob effects.
T
tmoney35
Wickchad84087 wrote:
The ribbons never strobed during the play, only in between plays, and it seemed less annoying as the night went on to me.


Actually the ribbons did strob during plays. Particuarly during the 1st quarter and I was getting pissed off that they didn't stop doing it. During our first two drives the ads were going on constantly. I didn't notice if they stopped doing it later in the game. The MACU ad was the worst offender with the strob effects.


I second that. It did strobe during the plays, and only when BYU was on offense it seemed. That actually makes me LESS likely to ever do my banking w/ Mountain America. Same goes for Farmers Insurance sticking their butt into every 3rd down conversion, and the great tradition of "It's another COUGAR....FIRST DOWN!" That does not want to make me do business with Farmers.



To me, that's a marketing fail, and they probably spent at least 2 and half butt-loads of money to do it.
Page 1 of 2
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.