Archived Topic

Quietly (not cautiously) Optimistic

by Magnus Ver Magnusson · 8/29/2012

Advertisement
M
Magnus Ver Magnusson
I have been simmering the past few weeks as I read and hear so many local sports guys talking about the Utes and the special season that they are in line for. I just don't see it...but it doesn't matter. I've come to a conclusion regarding my cougars--we're in for a great season. The coaches and players all seem to be quietly going about their business. I get the feeling that we're ready to let our play on the field do the talking this year. I'm adopting the same attitude. It's not cautious optimism (I'm too enamored to be cautious) but quiet optimism. I'm confident that we will have a great year. I have faith in an undefeated season, but realistically see us winning 3 out of the 4 big tests this year (including beating the Utes).



It starts tomorrow night where I'll be watching the game from a hospital room (my daughter is having a surgery and I volunteered to spend the night with her 8) ). We have a good record in our family for "hospital" games. In 2004 I was in the hospital two days after my first daughter was born when BYU beat Notre Dame 20-17. Don't worry about tomorrow...it's a lock.
Y
Y 4 Ever
Welcome to the club! Watch out for the rainclouds, they are about to start circling around you...



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
A
ABYUFAN
I've not been quietly optomistic, I've been overtly optomistic.. enough to bet my Bishop a Whopper sandwich (with fries and a soda) that the Cougars, at worst go 11-1 this year.
S
scott715
Become a doctor or nurse so that we can win more games.
S
Schmoe
ABYUFAN wrote:
I've not been quietly optomistic, I've been overtly optomistic.. enough to bet my Bishop a Whopper sandwich (with fries and a soda) that the Cougars, at worst go 11-1 this year.


So you have to eat a Whopper if you lose? :sick: That's rough, man, I hope you win the bet.
Advertisement
K
KingCoug
Seems the reasoning for the rosy predictions about the Utes is a low opinion of most of their schedule; at least on paper. Which tells you something about the over all strength of the PAC 10.2. The Utes must have sold whatever soul they still had to avoid Oregon and Stanford two years in a row.



Still, the question remains - what makes Utah so much better this year compared to last, when they went 8-5? A great Ute defense is always a given. But there's still questions on offense, particularly the QB.



Honestly, the Utes somehow pulling an upset against USC wouldn't surprise me that much. But USC coming in and putting a whooping on the Utes wouldn't surprise me either. But looking at their schedule collectively, I'm wondering why people think they can run the table except for maybe USC.



And though it's insulting, let everyone sleep on BYU. Hopefully we can go in and shut everyone up like in 2010 - except actually not give away the game at the end.
L
Lawboy
Magnus Ver Magnusson wrote:
The coaches and players all seem to be quietly going about their business. I get the feeling that we're ready to let our play on the field do the talking this year.


To me, this has been the best part of this offseason. No grand statements, little talking. They acknowledged some changes, then went to work.



I think they all know that they gotta prove it on game day. I like this approach and attitude.
K
KingCoug
Lawboy wrote:


To me, this has been the best part of this offseason. No grand statements, little talking. They acknowledged some changes, then went to work.



I think they all know that they gotta prove it on game day. I like this approach and attitude.


Should be that way every year.
A
ABYUFAN
Schmoe wrote:
I've not been quietly optomistic, I've been overtly optomistic.. enough to bet my Bishop a Whopper sandwich (with fries and a soda) that the Cougars, at worst go 11-1 this year.


So you have to eat a Whopper if you lose? :sick: That's rough, man, I hope you win the bet.

A Whopper is a significant upgrade from the gas station hot dog that I usually eat... :whistle:
Advertisement
Y
Y 4 Ever
KingCoug wrote:
Seems the reasoning for the rosy predictions about the Utes is a low opinion of most of their schedule; at least on paper. Which tells you something about the over all strength of the PAC 10.2. The Utes must have sold whatever soul they still had to avoid Oregon and Stanford two years in a row.




The :utard: had already sold their sold in the 4th quarter of our 2010 game (no other explanation for that one). Guess they sold their mothers' souls this time.
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.