Archived Topic

BYU vs WSU spread, O/U

by KingCoug · 8/28/2012

Advertisement
K
KingCoug
Spread is still 13 points w/ BYU as the favorite.



The Over/Under is 62 points. Oddsmakers apparently seeing a bigger scoring game than many think.
B
BroncoBot
This is gonna be over at halftime, Lark will be getting playing time...
D
Ddawg
BroncoBot wrote:

This is gonna be over at halftime, Lark will be getting playing time...


I hope your right. I'm optimistic - but nervous. It's the 1st game and the "great unknown."



Not knowing how effective we will be - and how good Washington St. will be in return.



Dang - isn't it great!!!! Go Cougs!!
S
SpiffCoug
KingCoug wrote:
Spread is still 13 points w/ BYU as the favorite.



The Over/Under is 62 points. Oddsmakers apparently seeing a bigger scoring game than many think.

13 pts, O/U is 62.



So final score of BYU 37.5 WSU 24.5. I'm taking BYU and the Under.



I don't see Washington St scoring 20 on us. I think BYU can get to 35 though.
G
Guest
I don't understand how to read betting jargon.
Advertisement
K
KingCoug
hawkwing wrote:
I don't understand how to read betting jargon.


BYU is a 13 point favorite. That means, if you want to put money on BYU, they have to win by more than 13 points. If they win by less than that, or if they lose, you lose. If you put money on WSU, they just have to win or lose by less than 13 for you to win.



62 points is the total points predicted by both teams combined. If you take the over, you're betting the total combined score will be over 62 points. If you take the under, you're betting the total combined score will be under 62 points.
S
SpiffCoug
KingCoug wrote:
I don't understand how to read betting jargon.


BYU is a 13 point favorite. That means, if you want to put money on BYU, they have to win by more than 13 points. If they win by less than that, or if they lose, you lose. If you put money on WSU, they just have to win or lose by less than 13 for you to win.



62 points is the total points predicted by both teams combined. If you take the over, you're betting the total combined score will be over 62 points. If you take the under, you're betting the total combined score will be under 62 points.

You also lose if BYU wins by 13 points exactly.
C
Cougs_Rule
It really is hard to think byu would score 37 in its opener, unless this is a "special team"

It is also hard to impinge holding a Mike Leach offense under 25. This is a guy who would hang 40+ regularly on Big 12 teams, and 50 plus on average teams.



I might have to go with the odds makers in Vegas. There guess has to be as good as mine.

If I were betting money, I'd have to go with WSU and the under.

But, I obviously will pick Byu. 34-31.
S
Schmoe
dmcougar wrote:
It really is hard to think byu would score 37 in its opener, unless this is a "special team"

It is also hard to impinge holding a Mike Leach offense under 25. This is a guy who would hang 40+ regularly on Big 12 teams...


Not to be contrarian, but Big XII teams aren't exactly known for their defense.
C
Cougs_Rule
Good point. And neither is BYU at least where it counts in the D backfield. All the more why I can't wait to see how this team responds. If the D is better than last year by one notch that might be sufficient. But if it two notches better, then this could indeed be a special team.
Advertisement
L
Lawboy
Looks like the prediction is BYU 37.5 to Wazzu 24.5. effectively. 13 pt spred, 62 pts.



The opening line is set by Vegas, bu the gamblers affect it with how they bet. That line is set based upon where the money is going. If most of the money goes on BYU, the point spread will widen in order to induce people to bet on Wazzu. So the money determines the final lines, and Vegas does what they can to make the money about near as even as possible so they don;t take a bath on a game.



As the line opned at 14, the fact it is 13 now means the intial money went on Wazzu, but not by much. Dropping 1 pt is very minimal.
G
Guest
Interestingly, the averages for the Prediction game have BYU winning 33 to 18. Very close to the line.
R
redneckjedi
I'd definitely take the under on this one. Newly installed offense on one side, a traditionally slow starting one that likes ball control more than pinball numbers on the other... I'd say the spread is right, but the O/U is about 20 points too high.
Y
YNot
redneckjedi wrote:
I'd definitely take the under on this one. Newly installed offense on one side, a traditionally slow starting one that likes ball control more than pinball numbers on the other... I'd say the spread is right, but the O/U is about 20 points too high.


I say under, but only by a few points. I predict a 31-27 win for BYU.
C
Cougarbib
Offense has been moving the chains in practice according to Doman - way better than last year.



Either the defense is not as good as we expected - or the offense is explosive.



Hype Week - go with the explosion.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
Advertisement
L
Lawboy
I have us 38-20. So I guess we cover with the under.



I think the O will be better than last year for sure. especially early. But I am worried that our Dline might struggle this year. LAst year they were awesome vs the run, but struggled to pressure a QB. This year, not sure we will be as stout in the front 3 vs the run, but might be slightly better vs. the pass. But our LBs and secondary should be really good and more assignment sound.
M
mtnradio
I live near WSU and the hype is coming out pretty good about them right now. Returning a strong set of receivers and some talented QB's ... the big hope for WSU right now is the offense and with Mike Leach's style of play, these guys could be good.



On Defense WSU will be using a TON of blitz packages. In past years that has caused some real problems for BYU ... it will be an interesting test for our O-line. Are they as athletic as we hope? We'll see. WSU has a lot of experience and talent in the DB area. I think some of the Vegas line comes from remembering how bad WSU has been for the last several years and not being sure what Mike Leach can do for them. Frankly, I think Leach is a heck of a coach who will make WSU a decent program again. They will be a far stronger team 4-6 games in than they will be when they play us.



BYU wins ... 13 points? Maybe a little optimistic ... but I like optimism!
J
jonnylingo
KingCoug wrote:
I don't understand how to read betting jargon.


BYU is a 13 point favorite. That means, if you want to put money on BYU, they have to win by more than 13 points. If they win by less than that, or if they lose, you lose. If you put money on WSU, they just have to win or lose by less than 13 for you to win.



62 points is the total points predicted by both teams combined. If you take the over, you're betting the total combined score will be over 62 points. If you take the under, you're betting the total combined score will be under 62 points.


Thank you. this was extremely helpful. I didn't get the jargon either. now i do! I am going to say wsu under. I think BYU wins but not by more than 13.
M
Mingjai
I'm going under and taking the points (though not Wazzu straight up).
R
redneckjedi
mtnradio wrote:
I live near WSU and the hype is coming out pretty good about them right now. Returning a strong set of receivers and some talented QB's ... the big hope for WSU right now is the offense and with Mike Leach's style of play, these guys could be good.



On Defense WSU will be using a TON of blitz packages. In past years that has caused some real problems for BYU ... it will be an interesting test for our O-line. Are they as athletic as we hope? We'll see. WSU has a lot of experience and talent in the DB area. I think some of the Vegas line comes from remembering how bad WSU has been for the last several years and not being sure what Mike Leach can do for them. Frankly, I think Leach is a heck of a coach who will make WSU a decent program again. They will be a far stronger team 4-6 games in than they will be when they play us.



BYU wins ... 13 points? Maybe a little optimistic ... but I like optimism!


You live by the blitz, you die by the blitz. Your best shot against that kind of defense relies on your QB reading it at the line, your play call being appropriate for that particular blitz, your protection being able to pick it up, and, worst case, your QB being able to get the heck out of there and make something happen. Usually, when you can beat a blitz by using a mixture of those things, you get big chunks of yardage and points. Blitz-happy defense is high risk, high reward.



I think Riley's a sharp guy, and can probably read a blitz okay, and I know he can extend plays. Not so sure about Doman making the right calls, giving Riley the right audible packages to get out of a bad play call, and Riley making those adjustments at the line. My biggest concern is Riley trying to make a play when he should eat the football, and turning a sack into a turnover. Hopefully he's matured in that respect. I guess we'll find out soon.
Page 1 of 3
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.