Archived Topic

Rhett Almond-kicker

by idahocougarfan · 8/28/2012

Advertisement
I
idahocougarfan
I just saw a tweet that Jeff Call retweeted that said. "kicker Rhett Almond from Valencia, CA made the BYU football team at today's tryouts."



Anybody know anything about Almond?



GO COUGARS!!
S
SpiffCoug
Yep, no need to worry about our kicking game.
E
EM_Puma
SpiffCoug wrote:
Yep, no need to worry about our kicking game.

Couldn't have said it better.
C
Cougarfan87
EM_Puma wrote:
Yep, no need to worry about our kicking game.

Couldn't have said it better.


Pretty good sign Sorenson is not making it back. However, I have seen this with other football teams where they really need a kicker and get a walk on from campus who does fine. The truth is, unlike almost every other position, most teams only have one or two kickers. With 100+ D1 schools, that leaves room for only about 200 kickers across the country. There are far more than a couple hundred high schools across the county, so there are a lot of kickers out there who don't end up playing football even though they may be pretty good. With a campus of 30,000 kids, there was bound to be at least one of them at BYU who could kick a football effectively enough to make the team.



Pulling one off of campus does give cause for concern, though. Put me down as cautiously optimistic. Luckily, the play book for kickers isn't very thick.
Advertisement
C
Cougarfan87
BroncoBot wrote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h2Zhp4WpWLo



This guy?



Is he any good?


He has plenty of leg for any place kicks.



His kickoffs are kind of low and don't go that far. He was kicking from the 40 and they were landing in the endzone. So, kicking from the 35, they will likely be at the goal line or just in front of it. Of course, with touchbacks moving up to the 25 (did that happen this year in college?) that may not be a bad thing. My guess is Riley Stephenson does the kickoffs and punting, and this guy either does the field goals/PATS or backs up Stephenson.
S
SpiffCoug
I bet we don't kick many FGs on Thursday. I bet we go for it quite a bit on 4th down.
R
redneckjedi
SpiffCoug wrote:
I bet we don't kick many FGs on Thursday. I bet we go for it quite a bit on 4th down.


This reminds me of a funny story... So, I've been playing some BYU football via Playstation to get myself ready for the season. Haven't done that in a while. The only controller I could find apparently has busted analog sticks. No problem, I'll use the D-pad - except, the ONLY way to kick is with the sticks. I ended up going for it on every 4th down and going for 2 after every TD. And honestly, it wasn't too bad. I converted most of them - including, thankfully, 4th and 22 from my own 10. :D I wasn't missing my kicking game much.



Until I had to kick off, of course. With the busted sticks, almost every kick was out of bounds, or short and low and very returnable. This is what I worry about most - if our kickoff and kick-cover aren't up to snuff, we'll be losing the field position battle all day, and that's hard.
S
scott715
Don't let coach allow you to kickoff then. Go Cougs!
L
Lawboy
You guys do realize that BYU had a walk-on back-up punter last year right? Dude could boot it too, but he never played.



Par for the course. BYU holds walk-ons tofill needs for practice squad. OR to help with an area of concern, and of course Sorensen is an area of concern. How could he not be. He just started kicking again last week for the first time in months. Gonna be rusty. Bet he is not ready until the U game.



By the way, the new rule in college is teams kick from the 35, and a touch back goes to the 25. So the goal is to drop it inside the 5 and try to pin them back on the return. That should be no problem at all this year at home. Not worried about kickofs one bit. Just FGs.
Advertisement
M
Mars


Oh crap. BYU announced walk-ons at almost every single position today. Our whole team sucks!
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.