Archived Topic

Of the BYU games listed, which is the least difficult?

by SpiffCoug · 8/27/2012

Advertisement
S
SpiffCoug
Ok, I want to get the whole schedule rated before the first game, so here's the next question.



Here's how the schedule looks from most to least difficult so far:

1. ???

2. ???

3. ???

4. Utah 53%

5. Washington St 84%

6. Oregon St. 77%

7. Utah St. 44%

8. Hawaii 68%

9. San Jose St. 78%

10. New Mexico St. 94%

11. Idaho 61%

12. Weber St. 52%
S
SpiffCoug
I'm going with Notre Dame. I don't like the short turn around following an emotion win over Utah before going to Boise St. And I don't like the back-to-back cross-country trip to Georgia Tech.
G
Guest
Went with Boise State, because of the plethora of question marks they have and new starters playing.
Y
Y 4 Ever
Tough call, but I'm going with bsu. I think they are vastly overrated this year. The ONLY thing that really worries me about that game is the quick turn around after the :utard: game. But last time I was super worried about a quick Thursday game was tcu 2006. So here's hoping for a similar result!



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
S
stuckinbig10country
I went with Georgia Tech. It's the only game out of the big 4 that I think BYU has a chance to win.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
Advertisement
B
BroncoBot
GeorgiaTech, just not impressed with them.
U
UliUli79
Georgia Tech... assuming the defense defends the run at least as well as they did last year, GT's offense doesn't have much of a chance.
M
Mars


Georgia Tech lost to Utah last year, and Utah is already out of the running, so...
C
Cougs_Rule
I admit I'm being swayed by those voting GT. I don't know much about them, except that it's a long road trip the week after ND. And just like BSU gets an added difficulty bump, sp does GT. they seem equal n difficulty.

Which reminds me.

Spiff, I know this is not bound by rules of statistical analyses, but one further discriminating analysis after the "poll" might actually be to conduct a ranking of the last four.

52% of the vote for Utah hardly constitutes a substantive majority. Anyway, just a thought. Maybe a waist of time to do an "ordinal" analysis of the last four, but might lend more reliability.
C
Cougarbib
hawkwing wrote:
Went with Boise State, because of the plethora of question marks they have and new starters playing.

Have to agree.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
Advertisement
S
SpiffCoug
dmcougar wrote:
I admit I'm being swayed by those voting GT. I don't know much about them, except that it's a long road trip the week after ND. And just like BSU gets an added difficulty bump, sp does GT. they seem equal n difficulty.

Which reminds me.

Spiff, I know this is not bound by rules of statistical analyses, but one further discriminating analysis after the "poll" might actually be to conduct a ranking of the last four.

52% of the vote for Utah hardly constitutes a substantive majority. Anyway, just a thought. Maybe a waist of time to do an "ordinal" analysis of the last four, but might lend more reliability.

Good idea. We've got two weeks before the Utah game. Maybe I'll do some polls afterwards comparing each of the road games to each other.
C
Cougs_Rule
Or at least the Big 4.

What I imagined was something like this.



Rank in order of difficulty these four games, 1-4, 1 being the hardest; ie--

1 Notre Dame

2 Georgia Tech

3 Boise State

4 Utah



Add up points and rank hardest with the fewest points. This way each game is rated against each other rather than eliminating each successively. More leg work on back end. Unless you know a way to do this more easily on CC than I do.



Maybe the results would end up similar.



It really is hard to imagine our rival game, even with their their question marks on O as the 4th hardest game in this series. But with BSU four days after and GT after ND on the road maybe it is.

Anyway just a thought.
L
Lawboy
I'm trying to figure out how anyone thought that the U game would be easier than BSU. Sorry, but that is dumb. Look at returning starter, and that tells the story.



Of the toughest four, they are by difficulty:



1) ND. Irish will be legit this year. Good coach, and decent D with explosive O. THey were a Michigan choke job away from a BCS game last year.

2)Utah. THey are great on defense and have great skill players on O. X factor will be t heir Oline play, especially at the tackles, and health of Wynn.

3)GTech--BYU does not travel well to the ET. Gave GTech a decent game last visit to Atlanata though. Buth tey retyrned alot from 2012. They are AFA with more skill and speed.

4)BSU--easiest of hte 4 simply because of how much they lost last year. Return 7 starters. New QB, new Dline, new Oline. Peterson may be good, but all teams go through a transition year, even Bama. 2012 is theirs. And they still only lose 2-3 (Mich STtae, BYU, maybe 1 other),
Y
Y 4 Ever
Lawboy wrote:
I'm trying to figure out how anyone thought that the U game would be easier than BSU. Sorry, but that is dumb. Look at returning starter, and that tells the story.



Of the toughest four, they are by difficulty:



1) ND. Irish will be legit this year. Good coach, and decent D with explosive O. THey were a Michigan choke job away from a BCS game last year.

2)Utah. THey are great on defense and have great skill players on O. X factor will be t heir Oline play, especially at the tackles, and health of Wynn.

3)GTech--BYU does not travel well to the ET. Gave GTech a decent game last visit to Atlanata though. Buth tey retyrned alot from 2012. They are AFA with more skill and speed.

4)BSU--easiest of hte 4 simply because of how much they lost last year. Return 7 starters. New QB, new Dline, new Oline. Peterson may be good, but all teams go through a transition year, even Bama. 2012 is theirs. And they still only lose 2-3 (Mich STtae, BYU, maybe 1 other),


I see what you are saying, and in a vacuum, I would agree that bsu and gt are easier than :utard:, but with the short turn around after :utard: I believe the bsu game will be tougher on the team. GT is a long road trip right after a long road trip. If gt were the first game of the year or after a bye week, I would rank it as the easiest of the four. But it's right after a tough roadie to nd.



You need to consider all the dynamics of the games and not just the other teams roster.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.