Archived Topic

New Perspective of Jake Heaps

by byucougar1 · 8/26/2012

Advertisement
B
byucougar1
http://theshiver.com/2012/08/fall-camp-day-8-quarterbacks/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;



Very interesting interview with Jake. He seems so much more invested in demonstrating his support to the current leader of the team - QB Dayne Crist and showing his teammates he is willing to work hard, be a good subleased and help out where he can, and take advantage of his RS year and learn as much as he can.



This attitude would have served him well at the Y - looks like it took a transfer to get him to think about team and example of support.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
W
Waipahuboy
Yawn...who cares? Jake Hypes trying to walk the talk. He knows this is his final shot at the NFL, so what else is he gonna do? Piss off his teammates and Weis? I think not.



Good riddance, BYU football program better off despite Hypes' higher ceiling than RN. Give me Riley the grinder instead of the prima donna.
M
mormonrasta
Good for Jake. I hope he does well at Kansas. I am thankful for all he has done for BYU.
S
Schmoe
mormonrasta wrote:
I thankful for all he has done for BYU.


I'm not thankful for the losses, but to each his own.
C
Cougarbib
I wish Jake well and hope that he has learned from his experience. I would like to see him finish strong at KU - win every game - unless BYU or Utah plays Kansas.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
Advertisement
M
mormonrasta
Schmoe wrote:
I thankful for all he has done for BYU.


I'm not thankful for the losses, but to each his own.


I was thinking more of Van Noy and Apo. In the losses we did have while Jake was playing we would have lost most of those games with any of the QBs on our roster. I can't pin those on Jake.
S
Schmoe
mormonrasta wrote:
mormonrasta wrote:
I thankful for all he has done for BYU.


I'm not thankful for the losses, but to each his own.


I was thinking more of Van Noy and Apo. In the losses we did have while Jake was playing we would have lost most of those games with any of the QBs on our roster. I can't pin those on Jake.


I'll put Texas and Utah on him off the top of my head.
T
trueblue72
Don't care, moving on with my life! I suggest you all do the same!



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
G
Gunk
Seems his PR team has taken a new approach. Confident, national-championship talking points have been replaced with team player, everyday man talking points.



I take everything Heaps says with a grain of salt. There is an agenda behind everything he does and that agenda is me, me, me.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
G
Guest
The only new perspective we've actually seen of Jake Heaps is his @ss as he walked out the door.
Advertisement
J
jonnylingo
I suspect Jake Heaps will be a good quarterback at Kansas. He was mismanaged at BYU. Hopefully Weiss will do a better job with him. He doesn't deserve the vitriol of byu fans at all. He did the best he could in an awful situation the coaches put him in.
C
Cougs_Rule
"new perspective of Jake Heaps"....same old myopic, emotionally constipated, hater-because-I-have-nothing-better-in-my-life-to-do-than-hang-onto-the-hate postings.

Nothing like believing in the phenomenon of a second chance, a do-over, a new day, I learned my lesson. I'm glad some of you have no need for a new start.

Can't even acknowledge bringing in KVN and Apo?
C
Cougarbib
dmcougar wrote:
"new perspective of Jake Heaps"....same old myopic, emotionally constipated, hater-because-I-have-nothing-better-in-my-life-to-do-than-hang-onto-the-hate postings.

Nothing like believing in the phenomenon of a second chance, a do-over, a new day, I learned my lesson. I'm glad some of you have no need for a new start.

Can't even acknowledge bringing in KVN and Apo?

In baseball terms - KVN was a SAVE. He was already in - sort of. But Heaps kept him from falling out. Big contribution. Plus APO. Plus a linebacker - Stout - that should contribute this year. Plus some guys that did not work out. Plus probably some others directly or indirectly.



He did contribute to recruiting. And, in 2010, when Riley was out, Jake took over and beat some cupcakes. Maybe Lark could have done as well or better. Maybe not.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
S
SpiffCoug
jonnylingo wrote:
I suspect Jake Heaps will be a good quarterback at Kansas. He was mismanaged at BYU. Hopefully Weiss will do a better job with him. He doesn't deserve the vitriol of byu fans at all. He did the best he could in an awful situation the coaches put him in.

I disagree with the last sentence. He didn't do the best he could because he didn't do all he could do. We've seen Jake's best and it was nothing like what we saw in 2011.



He was mismanged to a certain extent by the coaches. But also to a large extent by himself and his handlers.



Jake didn't put in the necessary work before the 2011 to do the best he could do. So he struggled mightily in a difficult situation that he was not prepared for because he didn't do any preparation.



He knew there were divisions on the team and guys "out to get him." So instead of working to change that, he hid from the team and didn't put in the work the other guys were.



Jake was dealt a bad hand, but he didn't help himself much either.



I didn't watch the video. But I don't need to hear Jake talk - he could always do that. I just hope he learned/is learning the lessons he didn't learn in his two years at BYU. I hope he succeeds at Kansas. If he has learned those lessons, he likely will. If he hasn't, he likely won't.



Either way, I don't care. He's not a Cougar anymore.
C
Cougarbib
SpiffCoug wrote:
I suspect Jake Heaps will be a good quarterback at Kansas. He was mismanaged at BYU. Hopefully Weiss will do a better job with him. He doesn't deserve the vitriol of byu fans at all. He did the best he could in an awful situation the coaches put him in.

I disagree with the last sentence. He didn't do the best he could because he didn't do all he could do. We've seen Jake's best and it was nothing like what we saw in 2011.



He was mismanged to a certain extent by the coaches. But also to a large extent by himself and his handlers.



Jake didn't put in the necessary work before the 2011 to do the best he could do. So he struggled mightily in a difficult situation that he was not prepared for because he didn't do any preparation.



He knew there were divisions on the team and guys "out to get him." So instead of working to change that, he hid from the team and didn't put in the work the other guys were.



Jake was dealt a bad hand, but he didn't help himself much either.



I didn't watch the video. But I don't need to hear Jake talk - he could always do that. I just hope he learned/is learning the lessons he didn't learn in his two years at BYU. I hope he succeeds at Kansas. If he has learned those lessons, he likely will. If he hasn't, he likely won't.



Either way, I don't care. He's not a Cougar anymore.


He was not put in a bad situation. He put himself in whatever situation he was in.



He came in hyped - chose to amp that up with a Multi-Player Presser and the attitude that he and his friend's were better and going to step right in and show the experienced players how it is done - as true freshmen. None if the presser boys were up to that hype. But Guys like Apo and Stoudt handled that fact more gracefully.



Heaps wanted to play - actually START as a True Freshman. Demanded it, in fact. And got it. Got all of the reps late 2010. Also took reps from Nelson in prepping for 2010. Was handed 2011. Did not prep with the team. Is it any wonder his receivers seemed out of synch.



Threw to his buddy Apo nearly every play until Hoff could no longer be denied.



He and his entourage believed he was ready to deliver the goods. He practiced well. It took game play vs good teams to show he was not in synch with receivers and shied away from contact.



Experience should fix all of that - if a player is humble, patient, and long- suffering. But that would be Ruley Nelson - not Jake Heaps.



If anyone was mishandled or ripped off - it would be Lark and Nelson - not Jake Heaps.



Ironically, now, Heaps has no choice but to be patient. Has to sit out a year. That should really help him. Especially if he practiced WITH his teammates thus off-season and does do again next season.



Yes - Jake was mismanaged - by some self-serving advisor that advised his parents to pay same advisor to privately tutor Jake instead of having Jake hang with the guys that summer. Never expect objective advice from someone who gets paid big bucks if you do X and zero if you do Y - to say - hey - better hang with your guys.



If Jake had stood in the pocket - under fire - he probably could have overcome all of that bad advice.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
Advertisement
B
Brayden Green
Yeah, Jake totally put himself in the situation of his parents going through a divorce. He also **totally** put himself in the Camp Riley vs Camp Heaps. Heaps was an absolute idiot who didn't **want** the team unified under him. He wasn't dealt that, he *wanted* it. He put himself in that situation.



(And to anyone that is wondering why he had private workouts, has this years slew of workout changes changed your mind about why such a thing would be necessary?)



Yawn. This thread is an excuse for more Heaps hate.



What big people we are, making fun of 19 year old kids and their decisions from the safety of the internet. We should be so proud.



I wish him the best, and I wish him a team that doesn't revolt on him, whether or not he makes mistakes. And it sounds like he has that team, and that coach. Good for him. A clean start. I suggest we do all the same. Really, it's pretty funny that a 20 year old kid and his decisions can make you such A-holes. You should probably ponder on why you let that happen, or don't. It's your life, and you can use it the way you want, (as long as you don't hurt anyone.)
C
Cougs_Rule
"Demanded it, IN FACT." ya that really works with Bronco. Please Bib. Try not to compltely re-write history so emphatically. You look ridiculous as a politician with your absolutist distortions.

There are enough easy target weaknesses and errors to fire at than overshoot the issue as bad as a heated overthrow from Heaps to a receiver.
V
vancouvercougar
Cougarbib wrote:
I wish Jake well and hope that he has learned from his experience. I would like to see him finish strong at KU - win every game - unless BYU or Utah plays Kansas.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


I would prefer Jake & Kansas kick the living snot out of the :utard: . I can't cheer for a :utard: victory even against Heaps.
C
Cougs_Rule
vancouvercougar wrote:
I wish Jake well and hope that he has learned from his experience. I would like to see him finish strong at KU - win every game - unless BYU or Utah plays Kansas.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


I would prefer Jake & Kansas kick the living snot out of the :utard: . I can't cheer for a :utard: victory even against Heaps.




AND THIS WILL BE THE GREAT DIVIDER. Will Cougar fans hate Heaps more than Utah?? Sadly and unfortunately, this shouldn't even be an issue--especially that far away in time. But I can see from this that some will openly or at least in the closet continue to hate Heaps.
C
Cougarbib
dmcougar wrote:
Cougarbib wrote:
I wish Jake well and hope that he has learned from his experience. I would like to see him finish strong at KU - win every game - unless BYU or Utah plays Kansas.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


I would prefer Jake & Kansas kick the living snot out of the :utard: . I can't cheer for a :utard: victory even against Heaps.




AND THIS WILL BE THE GREAT DIVIDER. Will Cougar fans hate Heaps more than Utah?? Sadly and unfortunately, this shouldn't even be an issue--especially that far away in time. But I can see from this that some will openly or at least in the closet continue to hate Heaps.

Not really much of a divider. I hate neither U or Heaps. Most hate U. I doubt you will find many, if any, BYU fans that hate Heaps. If a few do, it is only because he bailed. You know we love guys that try to stick it out.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
Page 1 of 2
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.