Archived Topic

Riley Nelson Top 10 Plays

by KingCoug · 8/26/2012

Advertisement
C
Cougs_Rule
Pretty great stuff.

I'm pretty converted to Riley. Don't know as I have completely repented; not enough contrition, confession, or well, I guess restitution is a little difficult. I guess I could say 3 hail Rileys. Would that do? :)
C
Cougarbib
dmcougar wrote:
Pretty great stuff.

I'm pretty converted to Riley. Don't know as I have completely repented; not enough contrition, confession, or well, I guess restitution is a little difficult. I guess I could say 3 hail Rileys. Would that do? :)

It would be a small step forward. But that is how great things are accomplished - 1 step at a time.



Now - see if you can convert TX. He still has a bad case of Riley / Heaps indigestion.



By some small few - Riley will always be judged vs Jake's Perfection Potential - even though Jake was never close to his own hype. Might be by the time he is done - but he was rushed in and in over his head.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
S
SpiffCoug
Some of those plays in the "Top 10" are pretty week. Hey look, he's a nice 5-yard run by Riley. Top 10!
Advertisement
S
SpiffCoug
Cougarbib wrote:
Pretty great stuff.

I'm pretty converted to Riley. Don't know as I have completely repented; not enough contrition, confession, or well, I guess restitution is a little difficult. I guess I could say 3 hail Rileys. Would that do? :)

It would be a small step forward. But that is how great things are accomplished - 1 step at a time.



Now - see if you can convert TX. He still has a bad case of Riley / Heaps indigestion.



By some small few - Riley will always be judged vs Jake's Perfection Potential - even though Jake was never close to his own hype. Might be by the time he is done - but he was rushed in and in over his head.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">

Actually Jake showed several flashes of being close to that potential - Colorado St 2010 comes readily to mind. He never showed anything like that in 2011, but it was there in 2010. That's what added to disappointment.
B
byutx
Cougarbib wrote:
Pretty great stuff.

I'm pretty converted to Riley. Don't know as I have completely repented; not enough contrition, confession, or well, I guess restitution is a little difficult. I guess I could say 3 hail Rileys. Would that do? :)

It would be a small step forward. But that is how great things are accomplished - 1 step at a time.



Now - see if you can convert TX. He still has a bad case of Riley / Heaps indigestion.



By some small few - Riley will always be judged vs Jake's Perfection Potential - even though Jake was never close to his own hype. Might be by the time he is done - but he was rushed in and in over his head.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">

Hahaha. Luckily what I suffer from is not chronic and will likely go away right around the end of bowl season. Unless I am miraculously healed, of course. :)
S
scott715
Alma 37: 6 but behold I say unto you, that by bsmall and simple things are great things brought to pass; and small means in many instances doth confound the wise.



7 And the Lord God doth work by ameans to bring about his great and eternal purposes; and by very bsmall means the Lord doth cconfound the wise
M
Mingjai
SpiffCoug wrote:
Some of those plays in the "Top 10" are pretty week. Hey look, he's a nice 5-yard run by Riley. Top 10!


Or look, Riley can hit a wide open receiver... or Riley's receivers can make great plays on bad throws...
C
Cougarbib
Mingjai wrote:
Some of those plays in the "Top 10" are pretty week. Hey look, he's a nice 5-yard run by Riley. Top 10!


Or look, Riley can hit a wide open receiver... or Riley's receivers can make great plays on bad throws...

Or look - Riley can throw more than ten yards



Sheesh.



Riley is not going To make amazing passes. He is going to make plays, grind it out, move the chained, get into the end zone, and make BYU play as a team and be competitive.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
Advertisement
I
IowaCougar
Great top 10 list. Obviously, even if he were to make the plays wearing ice skates and mittens, there are those on this board who would essentially say "nothing special".



I watched the BYUTV replay of BYU-Hawaii last night, and thoroughly enjoyed the way Riley took over the game in the second half. He made miraculous escape after miraculous escape. Lots of fun to watch, and he was playing with broken ribs. Tough as nails.
C
Cougarbib
IowaCougar wrote:
Great top 10 list. Obviously, even if he were to make the plays wearing ice skates and mittens, there are those on this board who would essentially say "nothing special".



I watched the BYUTV replay of BYU-Hawaii last night, and thoroughly enjoyed the way Riley took over the game in the second half. He made miraculous escape after miraculous escape. Lots of fun to watch, and he was playing with broken ribs. Tough as nails.


I was at that game. And lived and worked in Hawaii - talked to co-workers.



They were in awe of Riley Nelson. Keeping in mind that they have had a few decent QBs over the years - still impressed.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
B
byucougar1
If Riley doesn't make those plays in HI and OSU games, we are in world of hurt, because those would be big time sacks and tackles for loss that he not only escaped but made big plays on afterwards. He can make a team pay for missing a tackle on him or turning their back on him before he takes off. He also runs with authority and will try and get as many yards as possible before going down. Has the heart of a lion and TRUE GRIT :-).



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
C
Cougs_Rule
Let's hope he plays smarter and not just harder
W
Wickchad
I would put the getting tackled chuck jumpball to Hoffman against HI one of Nelson's 10 worst plays. Just because he lucked out and the HI defenders were terrible doesn't make it a good play. He needs to learn to take a sack or throw the ball out of bounce instead of just throwing the ball in the air. This will cost us if he continues to do it.
Advertisement
S
Schmoe
Wickchad84087 wrote:
I would put the getting tackled chuck jumpball to Hoffman against HI one of Nelson's 10 worst plays. Just because he lucked out and the HI defenders were terrible doesn't make it a good play. He needs to learn to take a sack or throw the ball out of bounce instead of just throwing the ball in the air. This will cost us if he continues to do it.


Yeah, that's what happens when you take huge risks: if they pay off you're the hero, if not, you're the goat.
M
Mythranor
Wickchad84087 wrote:
I would put the getting tackled chuck jumpball to Hoffman against HI one of Nelson's 10 worst plays. Just because he lucked out and the HI defenders were terrible doesn't make it a good play. He needs to learn to take a sack or throw the ball out of bounce instead of just throwing the ball in the air. This will cost us if he continues to do it.


While I agree with this as a general comment I don't agree with it on this specific play. If you watch the play closely you can see that he is watching Hoffman before he gets hit and that while he's struggling to make the throw he points to where he wants Hoffman to run. I've seen a different view where it is obvious that Hoffman sees that direction and comes back to where Riley was pointing. Riley then throws a jump ball to a 6'4" receiver in single coverage with a sub 6'0" db. So while I agree Riley has the tendency to make throws he shouldn't, this one appears to be more of a make a play situation rather than a throw a prayer situation.
S
SpiffCoug
I do like Riley's trust in his teammates to make plays. He knows guys will fight for the ball, if he can get it close to them. He trusts them to come through when he needs it.
R
redneckjedi
Mythranor wrote:
I would put the getting tackled chuck jumpball to Hoffman against HI one of Nelson's 10 worst plays. Just because he lucked out and the HI defenders were terrible doesn't make it a good play. He needs to learn to take a sack or throw the ball out of bounce instead of just throwing the ball in the air. This will cost us if he continues to do it.


While I agree with this as a general comment I don't agree with it on this specific play. If you watch the play closely you can see that he is watching Hoffman before he gets hit and that while he's struggling to make the throw he points to where he wants Hoffman to run. I've seen a different view where it is obvious that Hoffman sees that direction and comes back to where Riley was pointing. Riley then throws a jump ball to a 6'4" receiver in single coverage with a sub 6'0" db. So while I agree Riley has the tendency to make throws he shouldn't, this one appears to be more of a make a play situation rather than a throw a prayer situation.


That's all well and good that he's adjusting the play on the fly. But when you start to get hit, you have to tuck the ball and eat it. You HAVE to. As Woody Hayes said, "When you throw a pass three things can happen to it, and two of them are bad." And the probability of those bad things increases a lot when you start to get hit. Unless you need a completion at that very moment to stay in the game, you eat the football. Don't even throw it away; you're no longer in complete control of your body, and you don't know where it might go.
I
IowaCougar
Mythranor wrote:
I would put the getting tackled chuck jumpball to Hoffman against HI one of Nelson's 10 worst plays. Just because he lucked out and the HI defenders were terrible doesn't make it a good play. He needs to learn to take a sack or throw the ball out of bounce instead of just throwing the ball in the air. This will cost us if he continues to do it.


While I agree with this as a general comment I don't agree with it on this specific play. If you watch the play closely you can see that he is watching Hoffman before he gets hit and that while he's struggling to make the throw he points to where he wants Hoffman to run. I've seen a different view where it is obvious that Hoffman sees that direction and comes back to where Riley was pointing. Riley then throws a jump ball to a 6'4" receiver in single coverage with a sub 6'0" db. So while I agree Riley has the tendency to make throws he shouldn't, this one appears to be more of a make a play situation rather than a throw a prayer situation.


Even the commentators on ESPN noted just what you stated. He knew where his receiver was, knew he had the advantage, and threw it where it needed to be under extreme pressure. If I recall correctly, BYU was trailing at the time, and this was a 3rd down play. Turned the game around.
Page 1 of 2
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.