Archived Topic

O'Neil Chambers Transferring

by Isola · 8/24/2012

Advertisement
B
Brayden Green
I read something through Jay Drew saying the same thing.
I
Isola
I don't really understand these sort of decisions. O'Neil doesn't have the talent to get into the NFL. I'm not dissing him. I didn't have the talent to make a high school team.



So a profitable career in football is unlikely. I think faced with that decision I probably would have just stuck it out at BYU, even if you aren't on the team and finish up my degree. Much better degree than Nebrask at Kearney.



Then again he has been at BYU forever so maybe he already got his degree.



Its just all the talk of colleges taking advantage of amateur athletes ignores the many players who should be taking advantage of the free school because they don't have professional sports careers ahead of them. A free college education from a great school like BYU should not be passed up on for one more chance to be a football stud at some at an MIAA school.
J
jonnylingo
I think his plan is to play football there this fall and then come back in spring to finish his degree at byu.
I
Isola
jonnylingo wrote:
I think his plan is to play football there this fall and then come back in spring to finish his degree at byu.

I hope this is true. I wish him success on the field and I hope he comes back to get his degree.



I understand wanting to play in pads for probably the last time, I just really hope he takes care of his degree and sets himself up for a good career aside from football. I would hate for him to miss out of that.
Advertisement
S
Stirfry
I want to give props to the CC members on this. I saw mama Chambers (Linette Chambers I think?) listed below as browsing the forum yesterday and I was glad to see that the CC members stayed classy on this one and wished him luck and didn't hold any ill will. I liked OC and wish it would've worked out. Good luck to him and hopefully he gets that BYU degree.
G
Guest
Yes, O'Neal is going to transfer and play a year at WR in Nebraska Kearny. I think he has a chance at the NFL, after all, McKay Jacobsen made a team. But he will transfer back in January and finish his college degree at BYU.
L
Lawboy
hawkwing wrote:
McKay Jacobsen made a team.


No, he hasn't. Still has 2 roster cuts to make it through first. I suspect he gets let go by the 31st. Would be shocked it he sticks.



•Monday, August 27th by 4pm (EST) – Active Roster – (75).

•Friday, August 31st by 9pm (EST) – Active/Inactive Roster – (53).
G
Guest
Lawboy wrote:
McKay Jacobsen made a team.


No, he hasn't. Still has 2 roster cuts to make it through first. I suspect he gets let go by the 31st. Would be shocked it he sticks.



•Monday, August 27th by 4pm (EST) – Active Roster – (75).

•Friday, August 31st by 9pm (EST) – Active/Inactive Roster – (53).


Good point, I should say, he's made a preliminary roster.
J
jonnylingo
hawkwing wrote:
Yes, O'Neal is going to transfer and play a year at WR in Nebraska Kearny. I think he has a chance at the NFL, after all, McKay Jacobsen made a team. But he will transfer back in January and finish his college degree at BYU.


If McKay Jacobsen has a shot then OC definitely has a shot.
Advertisement
W
Wickchad
jonnylingo wrote:
Yes, O'Neal is going to transfer and play a year at WR in Nebraska Kearny. I think he has a chance at the NFL, after all, McKay Jacobsen made a team. But he will transfer back in January and finish his college degree at BYU.


If McKay Jacobsen has a shot then OC definitely has a shot.


I think if Andy Reid wasn't in Philly you wouldn't see McKay getting a shot. Andy seems to have a soft spot for BYU guys that probably don't really have a shot otherwise in the NFL. The Eagles did the same for Zak Collie. Mahe probably lasted longer in the NFL than he should have also. Zak and McKay really weren't dominant in college to make you think they could make it in the NFL but they both got/get paid while they are free agents in camp so good for them. Maybe Reid will give OC his four weeks of NFL free agent camp pay too.
G
Gunk
Best of luck to OC.



Makes me wonder what would have been if Bronco somehow convinced him to play corner earlier in his BYU career.
B
BroncoBot
Gunk wrote:
Best of luck to OC.



Makes me wonder what would have been if Bronco somehow convinced him to play corner earlier in his BYU career.

Probably wouldn't have changed his disciplinary problems...
M
mtnradio
He's a fine athlete. Has a lot of talent. I hope he shines at his new home. Good luck to him!
Advertisement
C
Cougarbib
jonnylingo wrote:
I think his plan is to play football there this fall and then come back in spring to finish his degree at byu.

This. And he has not been on the team or on scholarship for quite a while.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
M
Mars
jonnylingo wrote:
If McKay Jacobsen has a shot then OC definitely has a shot.

This.



Good luck with the Lopers OC.
S
scott715
http://www.lopers.com/custompages/football/stats/2012%20Season/teamcume.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;



I was wondering how O'Neil was doing. His team is 2-7 but have won their last 2 games. He has played in only 4, I don't know why. Maybe he got hurt. 1 carry for 6 yards, 9 receptions. He is returning punts and kickoffs.



Hope he is having a good time.
E
EM_Puma
Wow, I asked my son while we were watching the game Saturday that I wondered how O'Neil was doing. He couldn't find anything current, so I was looking yesterday. Hard to find much info on U of Nebraska at Kearney.



Chambers played all four of the first games as a WR and returning both punts and kicks. Numbers weren't bad. he was averaging 3 catches and had some descent returns. Appears he was injured in their 4th game, and hasn't returned since. I couldn't find out more than that he was injured. The team lost their 1st, 2nd and 3rd team QB's and had pulled one of the other WR's to be the QB. The team has won only two games this season, I believe the last two. I checked the attendance in the last game O'Neil played and it was 5K something.
J
jonnylingo
EM_Puma wrote:
Wow, I asked my son while we were watching the game Saturday that I wondered how O'Neil was doing. He couldn't find anything current, so I was looking yesterday. Hard to find much info on U of Nebraska at Kearney.



Chambers played all four of the first games as a WR and returning both punts and kicks. Numbers weren't bad. he was averaging 3 catches and had some descent returns. Appears he was injured in their 4th game, and hasn't returned since. I couldn't find out more than that he was injured. The team lost their 1st, 2nd and 3rd team QB's and had pulled one of the other WR's to be the QB. The team has won only two games this season, I believe the last two. I checked the attendance in the last game O'Neil played and it was 5K something.


That really sucks.
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.