Archived Topic

Lofty Goals for BYU Offense

by byucougar1 · 8/24/2012

Advertisement
B
byucougar1
Coach Doman recently stated, “I want our offense to be the number-one most efficient progression-based passing offense in the nation...That’s what I would like it to be. That means 35 passes a game, 22 or 23 completions, 300 yards passing a game at a 65 completion percentage or better, and a three-to-one touchdown-to-interception ratio or better every game."



Riley wants 70% completion rate and no turnovers and a rushing 150 yards/game.



Spiff, What would likely be our record with fruition of this kind of PER and stats achieved.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
C
Cougs_Rule
I know, I'm not Spiff. But I want to guess and see how close I get.



If the Defense holds their end of the deal, BYU would go.....



.....11-1.



If our D holds up no team has the offense to keep up with that except maybe BSU, if it successfully reloads on O and catches us by surprise and in a short week.
S
SpiffCoug
byucougar1 wrote:
Coach Doman recently stated, “I want our offense to be the number-one most efficient progression-based passing offense in the nation...That’s what I would like it to be. That means 35 passes a game, 22 or 23 completions, 300 yards passing a game at a 65 completion percentage or better, and a three-to-one touchdown-to-interception ratio or better every game."



Riley wants 70% completion rate and no turnovers and a rushing 150 yards/game.



Spiff, What would likely be our record with fruition of this kind of PER and stats achieved.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">

Ok, if we're 23 of 35 for 300 yards with 3 TDs and 1 INT the PER is 160.29. BYU's record under Bronco with a PER above 160 is 33-2.



Throw in games with 150 yards rushing to the category above and BYU is 21-0 under Bronco.



So basically, if BYU can do that in every game (not just average that over the season), but have the kind of production against each and every opponent, BYU will be playing in a BCS game.



Interestingly, when BYU opponents are above 160 PER with 150 yards rushing, they are 4-1 against BYU.
T
tmoney35
byucougar1 wrote:
Coach Doman recently stated, “I want our offense to be the number-one most efficient progression-based passing offense in the nation...That’s what I would like it to be. That means 35 passes a game, 22 or 23 completions, 300 yards passing a game at a 65 completion percentage or better, and a three-to-one touchdown-to-interception ratio or better every game."



Riley wants 70% completion rate and no turnovers and a rushing 150 yards/game.



Spiff, What would likely be our record with fruition of this kind of PER and stats achieved.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


I'm also not Spiff, but geez...if Riley consistently gets 70% comp while averaging 300yd/gm with a three-to-one touchdown-to-interception ratio, who on our schedule is going to beat us? Especially with our defense.
G
Guest
I'm not Spiff, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night...
Advertisement
B
byucougar1
Maybe that should be the moniker for our offense.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
R
redneckjedi
With these numbers, we're talking about 8.5 yards per pass - not per completion. It's 13 yards per completion. I imagine we'd rush about 25 times to go with 35 passes, and that would be 6 YPC. All averaged together, that's 7.5 yards per play. If we can pull that off, we can just about forget about punting.



The thing with averages though, is that you can still hit them with a real dud or two in the bunch, if you make up for it. I just hope we're ready to play our best in our road swings. I'd love to put these numbers up on the yewts...
B
Brayden Green
We are totally going to get these numbers...









... against Weber State, Idaho and NMSU.
M
mtnradio
Blue ... your confidence is staggering!!!
Y
YNot
BlueIsBetter wrote:
We are totally going to get these numbers...









... against Weber State, Idaho and NMSU.


...and Washington St., Utah, Boise St., Hawaii, USU, Oregon St., Notre Dame, and Georgia Tech. ;)
Advertisement
B
BroncoBot
Anyone know how many times BYU's offense hit those numbers last year???
S
SpiffCoug
Twice, vs Idaho St and Hawaii.



Three times in 2010 (UNLV, Colorado St, UTEP).



Seven times in 2009 (Tulsa, Florida St, Utah St, UNLV, SDSU, Wyoming, Air Force).



Seven times in 2008 (Northern Iowa, Washington, UCLA, UNLV, Colorado St, SDSU, Air Force).



Three times in 2007 (SDSU, Colorado St, Wyoming).



Eight times in 2006 (Utah St, TCU, SDSU, UNLV, Air Force, Wyoming, New Mexico, Air Force, Utah).
B
Brayden Green
Oh, the good ole days... when our offense was tops in the nation, and we only needed to score more than 30 points to ensure a victory (because our D couldn't stop a nosebleed...)



If somehow we could just merge those 2 eras...
S
SpiffCoug
BlueIsBetter wrote:
Oh, the good ole days... when our offense was tops in the nation, and we only needed to score more than 30 points to ensure a victory (because our D couldn't stop a nosebleed...)



If somehow we could just merge those 2 eras...

Things haven't changed then. Bronco is 45-3 when scoring more than 30 points.
M
mtnradio
Not only are you Spiff ... but did YOU stay at a Holiday Inn last night too?



Wow!
Advertisement
B
BroncoBot
BlueIsBetter wrote:
Oh, the good ole days... when our offense was tops in the nation, and we only needed to score more than 30 points to ensure a victory (because our D couldn't stop a nosebleed...)



If somehow we could just merge those 2 eras...

Weren't you jumping at the chance to get rid of Anae? I think he was a bigger part of the success BYU saw on offense than we give him credit for.
R
redneckjedi
BroncoBot wrote:
Oh, the good ole days... when our offense was tops in the nation, and we only needed to score more than 30 points to ensure a victory (because our D couldn't stop a nosebleed...)



If somehow we could just merge those 2 eras...

Weren't you jumping at the chance to get rid of Anae? I think he was a bigger part of the success BYU saw on offense than we give him credit for.


Yeah, because 2010 was so great offensively... :whistle:



"Hey guys, I know our offense is carving up Utah's prevent like a Christmas ham, like it has in 2000, 2001, 2006, 2007... But I prefer my chances diving into the line three times and kicking it. Whaddya say?"



http://charterguideservice.com/xango/fired3.jpg" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
B
Brayden Green
BroncoBot wrote:
Oh, the good ole days... when our offense was tops in the nation, and we only needed to score more than 30 points to ensure a victory (because our D couldn't stop a nosebleed...)



If somehow we could just merge those 2 eras...

Weren't you jumping at the chance to get rid of Anae? I think he was a bigger part of the success BYU saw on offense than we give him credit for.


Yes I was. BYU still made the right move in getting rid of him. They should have gotten rid of a line coach and a sports and nutrition coach while they were at it. Not quite sure they made the right move in Doman. Too early to tell, really. I hope they did, but he hasn't had enough time at the job to move the needle one way or the other yet. He still needs time.



Read "My Case against Robert Anae" on this site in case you were wondering what type of arguments I had against him at that point. I think you will see that I am not being duplicitous in my answer here.
K
KingCoug
I still believe Anae going was the right move. You knew what you were going to get from him but it was all you were going to get. If we ever wanted to move beyond that, we had to do something different. Even if it means currently struggling with Doman as he learns the ropes.
B
BigCougsFan
SpiffCoug wrote:
Twice, vs Idaho St and Hawaii.



Three times in 2010 (UNLV, Colorado St, UTEP).



Seven times in 2009 (Tulsa, Florida St, Utah St, UNLV, SDSU, Wyoming, Air Force).



Seven times in 2008 (Northern Iowa, Washington, UCLA, UNLV, Colorado St, SDSU, Air Force).



Three times in 2007 (SDSU, Colorado St, Wyoming).



Eight times in 2006 (Utah St, TCU, SDSU, UNLV, Air Force, Wyoming, New Mexico, Air Force, Utah).


Wow! Against fierce opponents!



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
Page 1 of 2
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.