Archived Topic

NBC on the Church

by BoiseBYU · 8/24/2012

Advertisement
B
BoiseBYU
Asking Disaffected Abby Huntsman about the Church and what it stands for is like asking Harry Reid what he thinks of Mitt Romney.
B
BroncoBot
who is abby huntsman?
B
BoiseBYU
BroncoBot wrote:
who is abby huntsman?


She is one of Jon Huntsman's daughters. She has left the church and yet NBC was asking her of all people various questions about the church and it's practices.
U
urroner
If you were doing a documentation of a subject and you were a disinterested party, which I don't think NBC is, wouldn't you try to get several POVs? I have found out that, kind of like Brigham Young said, if you kick us, you will only kick up more upstairs.



CBS came out years ago with several hit pieces on the Church, I believe it was on 60 Minutes, and it made the Church look really terrible. This was during the ERA era. The Church usually just lets stuff like that go, but it went and talked to CBS about it. Mike Wallace, IIRC, said that there were several problems with the CBS version of the Church, corrected it, and then he went on to do several interviews over the years with some GAs and put the Church in a much better light.



Even though I didn't like his positions quite often on politics, I feel that he was an honest man and that is what really counts in this life. He tried doing things for the right reason. I know several Mormons who are active and I agree with their politics, but I have little respect for them because they do the right things for the wrong reasons.
S
SpiffCoug
All in all, it wasn't that bad of a news hour.



The only part I really had issue with was showing the garments actually being worn. Why show actual people wearing them. And then asking if you could ask a Mormon to see them.



Why would you ask to see someone's underwear? I could see maybe showing them the hem of my top, but I certainly wouldn't start stripping.
Advertisement
B
BoiseBYU
urroner wrote:
If you were doing a documentation of a subject and you were a disinterested party, which I don't think NBC is, wouldn't you try to get several POVs? I have found out that, kind of like Brigham Young said, if you kick us, you will only kick up more upstairs.



CBS came out years ago with several hit pieces on the Church, I believe it was on 60 Minutes, and it made the Church look really terrible. This was during the ERA era. The Church usually just lets stuff like that go, but it went and talked to CBS about it. Mike Wallace, IIRC, said that there were several problems with the CBS version of the Church, corrected it, and then he went on to do several interviews over the years with some GAs and put the Church in a much better light.



Even though I didn't like his positions quite often on politics, I feel that he was an honest man and that is what really counts in this life. He tried doing things for the right reason. I know several Mormons who are active and I agree with their politics, but I have little respect for them because they do the right things for the wrong reasons.


I agree about Huntsman. My humble point was it is very odd in my book for NBC to choose to talk to a disaffected Mormon (Ms Huntsman) about the temple, where the church is going etc. there are so many other options from people without apparent agendas....all in all the show was ok. I'd give it a B-
U
urroner
BoiseBYU wrote:
...My humble point was it is very odd in my book for NBC to choose to talk to a disaffected Mormon (Ms Huntsman) about the temple, where the church is going etc. there are so many other options from people without apparent agendas....all in all the show was ok. I'd give it a B-


I didn't find it odd nor did several commentators on FNC. They asked each other why, if NBC thought it was so important to do a commentary on the presidential candidate for the Republicans, why didn't they do one also on Obama's religion.



It was later mentioned that the percentage of the Washington MSM, in a recent poll,which voted for Obama in the last election was over 95%.



No BoiseBYU, I don't find it odd, but I do find it rather sad.
D
Ddawg
SpiffCoug wrote:



Why would you ask to see someone's underwear?




Wanna see mine? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: ;) :whistle:
S
snoscythe
In a meeting today with Elder Perry and Bishop Stevenson, Elder Perry said he thinks one mistake the Church has made in the past is that it has been too secretive. He said that someday in the future, maybe soon, we'll see the Church start releasing annual balance sheets and the like.



I'm guessing we won't see any before November 6th though. ;)
D
Ddawg
I watched to NBC special on "Mormonism" closely. I admit, before it started, I turned and said to the wife - "Get ready for another hit piece." I was actually surprised at the overall fairness of the show.



Now, was I satisfied with everything in the show? No. It wasn't so much the NBC folks. My greatest disappointment was in Abby Huntsman. Some of her answers, and some of her attitudes. I won't go into detail here - but - I was disappointed in her.



The whole deal about NBC showing the garments - I get. To us, they are sacred, and have powerful meaning. It is very intrusive to show our sacred garments to the world. We feel violated - because we are. That said, NBC does not think they are sacred. They are "novel" and quirky to them. Something to be curious, and even joke about. They have no respect for what they stand for. So, I was disappointed, but not surprised at their decision to show them.



Although NBC was trying to give the air of "impartiality and fairness", they are not. They are part of, and deeply enmeshed in the Liberal Elite, and the "Hollywood" leftist world. Considering that, I was shocked they were as fair to the LDS faith as they were.



Was the "Mormonism" special perfect? No. Was it pretty darn fair considering who the players were? Yes.
Advertisement
B
BYULV
It would have been nice to see them mention the circumstances surrounding the first vision during their "Mormonism 101". Joseph Smith seeing and speaking to God the Father and Jesus Christ is Mormonism 101. The angel moroni's visit, the gold plates and book of Mormon are secondary to that. They showed the first visit, but talked about the angel Moroni during that scene. Shoulda done a little better research, or at least asked an active Mormon.
T
tripwire
BoiseBYU wrote:
Asking Disaffected Abby Huntsman about the Church and what it stands for is like asking Harry Reid what he thinks of Mitt Romney.

Yes of course she has an agenda, but so does every believing Mormon and they talked to plenty of them. Do you really expect them to only speak to active believing members and ignore any critics or controversy? That would be terrible journalism.
U
urroner
tripwire wrote:
Do you really expect them to only speak to active believing members and ignore any critics or controversy? That would be even worse journalism than is NBC's wont.


Dude, NBC is terrible journalism, so I took the opportunity to fix your statement to say what you really meant to say. No need to thank me. Just knowing that you rejoice in my correction is payment enough. Just keeping your back secure Trip.
T
tripwire
urroner wrote:
Do you really expect them to only speak to active believing members and ignore any critics or controversy? That would be even worse journalism than is NBC's wont.


Dude, NBC is terrible journalism, so I took the opportunity to fix your statement to say what you really meant to say. No need to thank me. Just knowing that you rejoice in my correction is payment enough. Just keeping your back secure Trip.

I think I know what I meant to say. I don't need anybody fixing my words for me, but thanks anyway.
U
urroner
tripwire wrote:
tripwire wrote:
Do you really expect them to only speak to active believing members and ignore any critics or controversy? That would be even worse journalism than is NBC's wont.


Dude, NBC is terrible journalism, so I took the opportunity to fix your statement to say what you really meant to say. No need to thank me. Just knowing that you rejoice in my correction is payment enough. Just keeping your back secure Trip.

I think I know what I meant to say. I don't need anybody fixing my words for me, but thanks anyway.


Any time Trip.
Advertisement
C
CougarClaw
I didn't see it. But if you do a news story, you get two sides. the love it group, and the critics. You show both sides.



So does Ms. Huntsman qualify as a critic? or just an odd interview choice?
H
HoosierCougar
I was out of town, but my wife kept texting me updates:

"Bitter ex's: always a good source of objective insight"

"Brian Williams just told me that, in my religion, I am not equal to you"



I just watched the DVR version and had a couple thoughts:

Abby Huntsman was odd to me, not particularly well informed on some issues, but probably a good choice for NBC (and a better choice than the guy who wrote "Milk" would have been.)



When asked about garments, I always say something like "they are sacred undergarments to remind me of the covenants I have made and the promises God has for me".



My wife pointed out that maybe our answer should be a little more elementary. We should tell people that the women's garments look like a camisole and the pants are like bike shorts. Men's are like t-shirts and boxer-briefs, just a bit longer. They come in different styles and fabrics so you can choose what you like or what fits best under a given outfit. Then go into the purpose if they want to know more.
D
Ddawg
HoosierCougar wrote:



I just watched the DVR version and had a couple thoughts:

Abby Huntsman was odd to me, not particularly well informed on some issues ...




+1. Bingo!! But, Abby served NBC well.
B
BYULV
CougarClaw wrote:
I didn't see it. But if you do a news story, you get two sides. the love it group, and the critics. You show both sides.



So does Ms. Huntsman qualify as a critic? or just an odd interview choice?


Except this isn't "news", more op Ed or infomercial. If it was meant as a news story you want all angles. if you want to inform and educate you should get the most credible/knowledgable sources available. Huntsman was an odd choice because she was far from an expert on Mormonism, nor was she anti-Mormon. If NBC wanted to inform people about what Mormons are in America they should have done an interview with Harry Ried, the most prominent American Mormon right now. Only problem with doing that is it takes away the democrats' ability to paint Mormonism as strange and far from normal American life. It would immediately cease to be a campaign issue this year.
M
Mars
BYULV wrote:
If NBC wanted to inform people about what Mormons are in America they should have done an interview with Harry Ried, the most prominent American Mormon right now.

:sick: :sick: :sick:
Page 1 of 2
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.