Archived Topic

A Beaver's take on last year's game with BYU.

by JasontheBeaver · 8/22/2012

Advertisement
J
JasontheBeaver
Faithful Beaver season ticket holder here, but my sis and bro-in-law are Cougar grads so you have a soft spot in my heart. I've even been to a game in Provo back several years ago when you beat AF, fun!

Last year's game at Reser stadium in Corvallis had more opposing fans than I can ever remember. We usually get a lot of yuck fans for the civil war game, especially when we suck (like last year), but there was a LOT of blue, and you were more vocal than I've ever heard. You guys even coordinated cheers from your scattered seating all across the stadium. It was humiliating as a Beaver fan, but cool as a college football fan.



We'll be making the trip to Provo this year, hopefully the game will be a little closer than the last couple times we met. (Yeah, I was in Vegas for that beat-down too.)

We look forward to meeting gobs of Cougar fans!
J
jonnylingo
Glad you are coming. Hopefully you have a good experience but not because your team wins the game.



What are your thoughts on your team this year? Will they be improved?
C
CrimsonCoug
Welcome to the board! And welcome back to Provo!

How do you see your Beavers shaping up for this year? What changes or improvements should we expect from last year?
Y
YNot
JasontheBeaver wrote:
Faithful Beaver season ticket holder here, but my sis and bro-in-law are Cougar grads so you have a soft spot in my heart. I've even been to a game in Provo back several years ago when you beat AF, fun!

Last year's game at Reser stadium in Corvallis had more opposing fans than I can ever remember. We usually get a lot of yuck fans for the civil war game, especially when we suck (like last year), but there was a LOT of blue, and you were more vocal than I've ever heard. You guys even coordinated cheers from your scattered seating all across the stadium. It was humiliating as a Beaver fan, but cool as a college football fan.



We'll be making the trip to Provo this year, hopefully the game will be a little closer than the last couple times we met. (Yeah, I was in Vegas for that beat-down too.)

We look forward to meeting gobs of Cougar fans!


JasontheBeaver, I am a lifetime BYU Cougar fan, but I grew up in Oregon and then lived there again for several years after grad school, until I moved out to Utah a few years ago. I am extremely familiar with the Beaver-Duck vitriol and excitement around the Civil War. I definitely have a soft spot in my heart for the Beaver faithful. Duck fans have always been arrogant, even when they weren't any good and OSU was competitive and beating them in the late '90's and early 2000's.



Will the Beavers have any kind of offensive line in 2012? Mannion is a solid quarterback, but the line hasn't looked great recently and doesn't appear to have improved.



Looking forward to seeing the Beaver logo on the visiting sidelines at Lavell Edwards Stadium on October 13.
G
Guest
Welcome to the forum, and have a great trip out to Provo. It's a beautiful location. I was also at the Las Vegas bowl game, man was that an experience in unexpected weather!
Advertisement
J
JasontheBeaver
Our team will be improved but not enough to win more than 6 games IMO.

How does our team really look this year? Who knows, I've hung around fall camps and thought a team looked like world beaters who eventually went 5-7, then other times teams have gone 9-3 who looked so-so in camp.

The main reason for improvement is many of our true freshman players now have a year under their belt.

QB Mannion is on his way to becoming one of the great Beavers.



Our OL has been upgraded a bit with the graduation of Mike Remmers (Beavers fans hated this guy for his consistent false start penalties). We also return Michael Phillip from injury last year. Overall, how will they do? No clue.



The CB's look outstanding so we're hoping our DL (specifically our DTs) can slow down the run. DE's Wynn and Crichton are absolutely all Pac-12. Our safeties are untested.



At RB we've got Agnew who has shown great skills except for fumbling problems and his hammy is suspect so both Ward and Woods will probably get plenty of playing time. I'm not worried about this position.



We're deep at WR with Wheaton leading the way.



Our kicker Trevor Romaine (we call him Lettuce) has a serious leg but lacks accuracy.

Our punters are both new this year but I would be an upgrade from Hekker. He's the one that shanked one into the stands and another went like a yard against you guys in the Vegas bowl. He also had a negative punt last year against Wisconsin, no wind, no pressure, just negative yards.



So my biggest concerns are at the middle of the D line and the O-line in general.
J
JasontheBeaver
I have done zero research on BYU this year, how are you guys looking?

Would LOVE to see you beat Boise St and Notre Dame.
S
scott715
Thanks for the update. Will Riley get off of the hot seat?
J
JasontheBeaver
scott715 wrote:
Will Riley get off of the hot seat?


Riley never was (and never will be) on the hot seat, he basically has a lifetime contract. When rumors started floating around that USC might come calling, our Athletic Director locked him up for life.

Don't believe the national hype about him being on a short leash, he runs that town and will only leave when he is good and ready.

As you can imagine, this has brought serious scorn towards both Riley and the AD. Eh, what ya gonna do?
G
Guest
scott715 wrote:
Thanks for the update. Will Riley get off of the hot seat?

This could be asked of either fan base.
Advertisement
J
jonnylingo
hawkwing wrote:
Thanks for the update. Will Riley get off of the hot seat?

This could be asked of either fan base.


Lol.
S
Schmoe
I gotta say, ever since the Vegas bowl, I have had an appreciation for Oregon St., its organization, and its fans. I used to loathe everything PAC (10 and/or 12), but I think that Oregon St. is a much classier bunch than the majority of PAC schools.



As far as how our team is looking, we've got a senior QB who ended up getting a good season under his belt last year. He can run, boy can he run, and his throws are alright, but something that is often criticized by the fanbase (as well as his decision-making from time to time). We've got the best receivers BYU has seen in a very long time, big and athletic guys on the outside and a quick scat type in the slot. Our tight ends are a big question mark as none of them can seem to stay healthy or show consistency and our O-line is supposedly leaner and more athletic, but there's been some trouble finding the starting five and therefore some inconsistency there, as well. We return a good tailback if he can stay healthy, and have a laundry list of good young running backs who will get some touches, as well.



On the defensive side of the ball, we have a good, deep linebacking corps (usually our strength), the secondary is supposed to be better than we've seen in a long time, but the D-line may be a little shallow.
J
JamieVallen
Oregon St. Is by far my favorite PAC team, probably in my top 5 college football teams an what's weird is I have absolutely no ties to the program. If I had to put it on paper my top 5 would look something like this:

1.BYU

2."The real" Ohio ST.

3.West Virginia

4.Oregon State

5. Florida St.



I have personal ties to 1-3 and 5, but seriously I just like Oregon St. (I even have a jacket that I found at Ross a few years back.) For the program they have ran, I really thought you guys were going to make the rose bowl in 09' but unfortunately Oregon had to steal the moment. But cool program and awesome guy for your head coach!



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
J
JasontheBeaver
It's easy to stay classy when your team is losing because it's only the hardcore, serious fans that show up to the games. How could I talk crap with an 8-16 record in the last 2 years?

Reel off a few BCS bowls in a row like the university of zero and bandwagon 'fans' come out of the wordwork and they usually end up being the biggest a-holes representing your school.

I'm sure this is true at any school.



Regardless, our group, called The Flat Tailgate Society http://www.facebook.com/pages/Flat-Tailgate-Society/166360193395475?ref=hl was formed to promote sportsmanship between the Beavers and opposing fan bases (except the yucks of course.)

We go to all the Beaver home games and host great tailgate parties, inviting opposing fans to join us to party, talk football, and generally have fun regardless of the game's outcome. Yes, we even hosted some BYU Cougar fans last year in Corvallis. I replaced one of my homemade beer kegs with my homemade keg of rootbeer!

To help spread the love we travel to at least one away game a year to cement future relationships. With BYU's new independent status and our coach's ties we may be playing each other more often.
J
JasontheBeaver
JamieVallen wrote:
...awesome guy for your head coach![ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


Yeah, our opponents LOVE our head coach, especially the last couple of years.

The Ducks have offered him a contract extension to stay at OSU.
Advertisement
S
scott715
I made your FB page 100 likes. I should have gone to the game their last year but my friend backed out at the last minute. I hope we play at OSU again soon.
C
Cougarbib
hawkwing wrote:
Welcome to the forum, and have a great trip out to Provo. It's a beautiful location. I was also at the Las Vegas bowl game, man was that an experience in unexpected weather!

This. Oops - I missed that one. Had to watch it on Tv - but that wind and cold affected the game - and BYU handles that better.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
C
Cougarbib
JasontheBeaver wrote:
It's easy to stay classy when your team is losing because it's only the hardcore, serious fans that show up to the games. How could I talk crap with an 8-16 record in the last 2 years?

Reel off a few BCS bowls in a row like the university of zero and bandwagon 'fans' come out of the wordwork and they usually end up being the biggest a-holes representing your school.

I'm sure this is true at any school.



Regardless, our group, called The Flat Tailgate Society http://www.facebook.com/pages/Flat-Tailgate-Society/166360193395475?ref=hl was formed to promote sportsmanship between the Beavers and opposing fan bases (except the yucks of course.)

We go to all the Beaver home games and host great tailgate parties, inviting opposing fans to join us to party, talk football, and generally have fun regardless of the game's outcome. Yes, we even hosted some BYU Cougar fans last year in Corvallis. I replaced one of my homemade beer kegs with my homemade keg of rootbeer!

To help spread the love we travel to at least one away game a year to cement future relationships. With BYU's new independent status and our coach's ties we may be playing each other more often.


This. A rivalry of sorts. Love the Beavers. Every year.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
V
vancouvercougar
JasontheBeaver wrote:
It's easy to stay classy when your team is losing because it's only the hardcore, serious fans that show up to the games. How could I talk crap with an 8-16 record in the last 2 years?

Reel off a few BCS bowls in a row like the university of zero and bandwagon 'fans' come out of the wordwork and they usually end up being the biggest a-holes representing your school.

I'm sure this is true at any school.



Regardless, our group, called The Flat Tailgate Society http://www.facebook.com/pages/Flat-Tailgate-Society/166360193395475?ref=hl was formed to promote sportsmanship between the Beavers and opposing fan bases (except the yucks of course.)

We go to all the Beaver home games and host great tailgate parties, inviting opposing fans to join us to party, talk football, and generally have fun regardless of the game's outcome. Yes, we even hosted some BYU Cougar fans last year in Corvallis. I replaced one of my homemade beer kegs with my homemade keg of rootbeer!

To help spread the love we travel to at least one away game a year to cement future relationships. With BYU's new independent status and our coach's ties we may be playing each other more often.


Welcome to our board Jason. I live in Oregon, and I am a Beaver fan when they aren't playing BYU. My wife's family are Beavers, and several people in my LDS ward are Beavers.



I really enjoyed the Beaver game last October--not just the victory but the way we were treated by the fans in orange. After the game my son & I were invited to eat at some of the tailgate tents. hope you are treated as well in Provo.
C
Cougarbib
vancouvercougar wrote:
It's easy to stay classy when your team is losing because it's only the hardcore, serious fans that show up to the games. How could I talk crap with an 8-16 record in the last 2 years?

Reel off a few BCS bowls in a row like the university of zero and bandwagon 'fans' come out of the wordwork and they usually end up being the biggest a-holes representing your school.

I'm sure this is true at any school.



Regardless, our group, called The Flat Tailgate Society http://www.facebook.com/pages/Flat-Tailgate-Society/166360193395475?ref=hl was formed to promote sportsmanship between the Beavers and opposing fan bases (except the yucks of course.)

We go to all the Beaver home games and host great tailgate parties, inviting opposing fans to join us to party, talk football, and generally have fun regardless of the game's outcome. Yes, we even hosted some BYU Cougar fans last year in Corvallis. I replaced one of my homemade beer kegs with my homemade keg of rootbeer!

To help spread the love we travel to at least one away game a year to cement future relationships. With BYU's new independent status and our coach's ties we may be playing each other more often.


Welcome to our board Jason. I live in Oregon, and I am a Beaver fan when they aren't playing BYU. My wife's family are Beavers, and several people in my LDS ward are Beavers.



I really enjoyed the Beaver game last October--not just the victory but the way we were treated by the fans in orange. After the game my son & I were invited to eat at some of the tailgate tents. hope you are treated as well in Provo.


BYU fans generally will be respectful to Beaver Fans but it will take good fortune and advice from someone here about where to look to find a tail gate tent to join up with after the game. A few exist somewhere - I have been a BYU Fan for over 40 years and have never stumbled across any tailgating at BYU.



I wonder if any local restaurants are giving a free slice of cake if BYU scores more than 80 points or if that is just for basketball.



Just kidding about the 80 point score - I expect a great game - combined score could hit 80 - but I am thinking 50.



But come back for a basketball game and gamble that BYU will hit 80 and you can score some free cake.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
Page 1 of 2
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.