Archived Topic

Mitigating Euphoria

by Cougs_Rule · 8/22/2012

Advertisement
C
Cougs_Rule
I just heard Ben Criddle on the radio talking about the strengths of the backfield AND I could hardly contain my excitement!!!!!!

I know it's radio and I know it's hype is a matter is marketing and ratings, but he does have some cred on backfield analysis. Just not fear and loathing our perrrenial weakest position group is exciting.

But, even more, I just can't wait for next Thursday!! Only a pessimist could ignore the potential for this team. The optimists always get high! But the realists have to concede that this team has more potential than most teams of late.

Go Cougs!!



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
S
SpiffCoug
We have a lot of potential and we have just 8 hours and 8 days left before we get to see that porential realized.



I'll take an experienced BYU defensive backfield over a brand new offense.
J
jonnylingo
I will get excited when we beat utah and boise state. until then i am refuse to by into any hype.
L
Lawboy
jonnylingo wrote:
I will get excited when we beat utah and boise state. until then i am refuse to by into any hype.


I am excited reagardless, but not buying any hype. Football is 8 days away. That is cause for excitement.



I do think that the team will be really good though. WE will be 2006 competitive, even if we lose. No blowouts.
B
byutx
Watch the Tulsa game and you will be brought back to reality but still have a game with a few big moments. Or, if you hate yourself, watch the TCU and Utah games. Yep, that'll mitigate the euphoria.
Advertisement
L
Lawboy
The Utah game makes me laugh til I cry. Comedy of errors. BYU gave them that game on a silver platter. BYU was the better team in half one, but choked it with TOs and penalties, and then totally imploded in half two.



It is gonna be 2010 close in 2012.
B
byucougar1
Same could be said about TCU game - special teams imploded and we dug ourselves into a pit that was hard to get out of. Take away those debacles and it would be a different story. For a comparison, look at how OU did when Landry Jones replaced the injured Bradford - tough to regain momentum when starting QB out of the picture. It was hard for team to hit on all cylinders when we changed QBs in mid-season - have to re-tool offense, adjust scheme, etc.



The reason for the euphoria is there has been stability at QB, a united team, and another year of experience with a revamped O and great depth of talent.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
B
BroncoBot
Lawboy wrote:
The Utah game makes me laugh til I cry. Comedy of errors. BYU gave them that game on a silver platter. BYU was the better team in half one, but choked it with TOs and penalties, and then totally imploded in half two.



It is gonna be 2010 close in 2012.

Agreed. utah game was a total comedy. Great stuff from start to finish.
B
byucougar1
Tragic comedy of errors.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
S
SpiffCoug
Tragedy + time = humor.



That was what my Scoutmaster taught us. We were in the upper Adirondacks on a canoe trip in November. A couple of us capsized and we lost about half our food. We were huddled in blankets around the campfire trying to get warm. We were hungry and still had 30 miles of canoeing to do. It was miserable and we hated the trip.



My Scoutmaster gave us that formula, and there is some truth to that. I'm still friends with those guys around that fire. Every so often, some one will post a Facebook message, "Remember that time we all fell in the cold lake in the Adirondacks and we lost our food and we were frozen and hungry and wet and miserable?'' We can laugh about it now.



I look back at the 2011 Utah game and just laugh to myself. The last six quarters against Utah, pretty much anything that could go wrong - has.
Advertisement
I
IowaCougar
The Utah game last year was the only time in all the years of watching BYU football that I saw the team just quit. Enduring a blowout hurts, but it hurts a lot more when you can see there is no effort to do anything about it.



I'm convinced the Cougars are ready to put all that behind them and have a great year. I have no desire to mitigate my euphoria! Bring on all the euphoria you can acquire! I think some of the incredibly negative comments I've seen over the past couple of months are by those who don't want to be disappointed. I remarked that "some people will only be happy if BYU fails" and got lambasted for the comment. Maybe they won't be happy, but they will be able to say "I told you so". I'm more in the optimistic school of thought, and I always think they're going to win the next game. I hope to remain that way. 8)



Blue Goggles Forever!
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.