Archived Topic

U of Spew to enclose their stadium

by Cougs_Rule · 8/22/2012

Advertisement
C
Cougs_Rule
I heard on KSL news this evening that Rice-Eccles to be enclosed on the south side to make a bowl, add 10,000 seats, and remove some of the Olympic features, including the flame tower. I don't know if this is old news.



Guess that PAC 10 money is going to be put to good use. Guess the admin thinks that the fair weather ute fans will show up more with top PAC teams coming in. Optimism abounds on the hill.



So, will BYU clamor to keep up, so to speak, by enclosing the south stands???



I know we already out pnmber capacity by about, what, 20k+?? But, I wonder if this will bring admin to step it up.
C
Cougarbib
dmcougar wrote:
I heard on KSL news this evening that Rice-Eccles to be enclosed on the south side to make a bowl, add 10,000 seats, and remove some of the Olympic features, including the flame tower. I don't know if this is old news.



Guess that PAC 10 money is going to be put to good use. Guess the admin thinks that the fair weather ute fans will show up more with top PAC teams coming in. Optimism abounds on the hill.



So, will BYU clamor to keep up, so to speak, by enclosing the south stands???



I know we already out pnmber capacity by about, what, 20k+?? But, I wonder if this will bring admin to step it up.

They upgraded it once when it went from being Rice Stadium initially when Robert "Bob" Rice donated to Rice Eccles Stadium when Spence Eccles chipped in. Did they say what booster is chipping in this time? Mariott already built them a library and Huntsman - The Huntsman center.



Who is coughing up the big bucks this time. Maybe it is PAC money. Maybe it is big booster money.



This will take U from a small to a medium stadium. BYU has a large one already - 65K. I am guessing this takes U to 50+K.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
M
MTM
Cougarbib wrote:



Who is coughing up the big bucks this time. Maybe it is PAC money. Maybe it is big booster money.



This will take U from a small to a medium stadium. BYU has a large one already - 65K. I am guessing this takes U to 50+K.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


55K capacity and funded by your tax dollars ;)
L
Lawboy
Not sure if it will increase capacity by 10 k or not. Depends on how big they go. They will have to knock out the SOuth stand, then rebuild it. Means new locker rooms as well.



IF it happens, bet it won;t start for at least 2 more years. They have to bond it first and save up for it, fundraise, Bet it will cost $80M or more, if they do it right.
S
scott715
But can they fill it? Have they had sellouts for five years straight?
Advertisement
C
Cougs_Rule
Does it matter? I would think that the PAC put pressure on them to step it up and not make the conference look bad with such a puny stadium.
G
Gunk
scott715 wrote:
But can they fill it? Have they had sellouts for five years straight?


If you build it they will come, right? At least for a season or two until the new upgrades no longer detract from the product on the field.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
L
Lawboy
They sold out the last 2 years and now havea waiting list for season tickets. PAC membership and schedule will do that for a fanbase. They are energized, with good reason.
S
SpiffCoug
Good for them. Just so long as my tax dollars don't pay for it.
K
KingCoug
scott715 wrote:
But can they fill it? Have they had sellouts for five years straight?


Certainly not when the team is struggling. Yewts are among the most fair weather fans.
Advertisement
S
snoscythe
I always think of this movie whenever I hear that the Yew is going to "upgrade" something:



http://codinghorror.typepad.com/.a/6a0120a85dcdae970b01287770a775970c-pi" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">



Today I step into the shoes of a great man, a man by the name of Dwayne Elizondo Mountain Dew Herbert Camacho.
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.