Archived Topic

Why, Vai?

by CrimsonCoug · 8/20/2012

Advertisement
C
CrimsonCoug
I like Vai Sikahema a lot. Not unconditionally, but I have some respect for him (though probably not as much as he has for himself). I've noticed, though, that he's been slowly slipping to the dark side. Take this quote from an article in Friday's Trib:



"Whittingham's longtime friend and former BYU teammate, Vai Sikahema, spoke to the team at the conclusion of practice. "He's a big-time Ute supporter," Whittingham said while noting that Sikahema has several ties to the program."



So, what's going on with Vai? I might think that he just prioritizes people above programs--so he has a connection with Whit that he values more than his connection with BYU; and I can understand that even if I can't endorse it. But there's a difference between "being a big KW supporter" to being "a big-time Ute supporter." Can he be a Ute supporter and still be in the Cougar's corner?



Not wanting to dog on Vai; I'm just wondering if anyone else can make any sense out of this.



:sulk:
S
Stirfry
Vai will probably write up a follow up column on how Kwitt is his cousin. That guys family reunions must be ginormous.
G
Guest
Vai has had several attacks on the BYU program over the last few years and nothing but glowing things to say about Utah in the same time frame.
S
SpiffCoug
Vai is more loyal to a former teammate than to his alma mater.
E
EM_Puma
I saw him at BYU Educaton week on Thursday and I wondered if it would have been rude to have wandered up to him and asked him what the deal was lately. I figured he didn't know me, so he wouldn't answer me, so I didn't.
Advertisement
L
Lawboy
Vai send his kids to BYU, so I know that he still loves the institution, what it stands for, the great place it is for young LDS kids. Not sure Vai still feels the same way for hte football program though. And fact is, he needs to remain True Blue regarldess of who the coach is, or isn't. Be friends with who you want, but stick up for the program that helped make you who you are. And he falls short in that area when it comes to football. Not when it comes to BYU, just BYU football.
G
Gunk
Maybe Vai is simply unimpressed with BYU football.
G
Guest
Gunk wrote:
Maybe Vai is simply unimpressed with BYU football.

Vai simply doesn't like Bronco on a personal level. Which I get, there are people here that feel the same way. Doesn't mean you should work against the football program to try to get the guy you don't like out.
G
Gunk
hawkwing wrote:
Maybe Vai is simply unimpressed with BYU football.

Vai simply doesn't like Bronco on a personal level. Which I get, there are people here that feel the same way. Doesn't mean you should work against the football program to try to get the guy you don't like out.


That's completely subjective.



For the record, I like Bronco, especially on a personal level even though I've never met him personally.



In the case of Vai, where he may not like Bronco but is more deeply connected to the success of BYU football than the average fan and has connections within BYU, why not try to get Bronco replaced, especially if you don't think the team is reaching it's potential. Vai probably wants BYU to succeed on a national level and doesn't believe Bronco can get BYU there. From Vai's point of view, he's doing what's right/necessary for BYU.



Now, if Bronco and company managed to go to BCS bowl, beat ranked opponents with some regularity, and beat average teams in their sleep, no one, not even Vai could complain no matter how much he didn't like Bronco personally.
G
Guest
Gunk wrote:
Gunk wrote:
Maybe Vai is simply unimpressed with BYU football.

Vai simply doesn't like Bronco on a personal level. Which I get, there are people here that feel the same way. Doesn't mean you should work against the football program to try to get the guy you don't like out.


That's completely subjective.



For the record, I like Bronco, especially on a personal level even though I've never met him personally.



In the case of Vai, where he may not like Bronco but is more deeply connected to the success of BYU football than the average fan and has connections within BYU, why not try to get Bronco replaced, especially if you don't think the team is reaching it's potential. Vai probably wants BYU to succeed on a national level and doesn't believe Bronco can get BYU there. From Vai's point of view, he's doing what's right/necessary for BYU.



Now, if Bronco and company managed to go to BCS bowl, beat ranked opponents with some regularity, and beat average teams in their sleep, no one, not even Vai could complain no matter how much he didn't like Bronco personally.

Now we've both been completely subjective.



Fact is neither of us know what Vai's actual feelings/motivations are.



Your theory is interesting, but it doesn't explain how supportive Vai is of a Utah program that is poised to under perform again for the 4th straight year.
Advertisement
G
Gunk
hawkwing wrote:

Fact is neither of us know what Vai's actual feelings/motivations are.



Your theory is interesting, but it doesn't explain how supportive Vai is of a Utah program that is poised to under perform again for the 4th straight year.


Ha! True.



I just figure Vai and Kwhitt are BFFs, and Vai is blinded by his BFFness so doesn't see how lame the Utes actually are. Kwhitt probably calls Vai up, asks him to give motivational speeches, etc, appealing to Vai's ego and their friendship. Bronco never calls...
S
SpiffCoug
Gunk wrote:
Gunk wrote:
Maybe Vai is simply unimpressed with BYU football.

Vai simply doesn't like Bronco on a personal level. Which I get, there are people here that feel the same way. Doesn't mean you should work against the football program to try to get the guy you don't like out.


That's completely subjective.



For the record, I like Bronco, especially on a personal level even though I've never met him personally.



In the case of Vai, where he may not like Bronco but is more deeply connected to the success of BYU football than the average fan and has connections within BYU, why not try to get Bronco replaced, especially if you don't think the team is reaching it's potential. Vai probably wants BYU to succeed on a national level and doesn't believe Bronco can get BYU there. From Vai's point of view, he's doing what's right/necessary for BYU.



Now, if Bronco and company managed to go to BCS bowl, beat ranked opponents with some regularity, and beat average teams in their sleep, no one, not even Vai could complain no matter how much he didn't like Bronco personally.

False. I don't think Vai is all that well connected to BYU and I think this is borne out in his having more interaction with the Utes program than BYU's (and this is more than just football).



I also don't think he is more deeply connected to the success than the average fan. I think his enthusiasm for the program has waned greatly over the years. I don't think the average fan would try to subvert the current head coach.
C
CrimsonCoug
SpiffCoug wrote:
I don't think the average fan would try to subvert the current head coach.


Sorry, I missed the subversion bulletin. When did that happen? He thought his "cousin" Mark Atuai should get hired on at BYU but he wasn't, before he actually was, and Vai wrote about blood being thicker than whatever at the time that Atuai was passed over, but I wouldn't call that subverting the HC. When did that happen?
S
SpiffCoug
It was implied by Gunk when he said if Vai doesn't believe in Bronco then Vai would be right in trying to get Bronco replaced.
D
Ddawg
EM_Puma wrote:

I saw him at BYU Educaton week on Thursday and I wondered if it would have been rude to have wandered up to him and asked him what the deal was lately. I figured he didn't know me, so he wouldn't answer me, so I didn't.


Hey - when you saw Vai at BYU Education week, you should have calmly walked up, and punched him violently in the throat. While he was laying on his back, gasping for breath, you lean over him and ask: "Hey, what's the deal lately?" :lol: :lol: ;)



Naw - just offer to buy the guy a pastry from the Cougar Eat and tell him your a huge fan. Kindness all the way.
Advertisement
C
Cougs_Rule
Gunk wrote:

Fact is neither of us know what Vai's actual feelings/motivations are.



Your theory is interesting, but it doesn't explain how supportive Vai is of a Utah program that is poised to under perform again for the 4th straight year.


Ha! True.



I just figure Vai and Kwhitt are BFFs, and Vai is blinded by his BFFness so doesn't see how lame the Utes actually are. Kwhitt probably calls Vai up, asks him to give motivational speeches, etc, appealing to Vai's ego and their friendship. Bronco never calls...


Bingo! I smell a bruised, passive aggressive ego; most likely that Bronco didn't placate whatever Vai wanted and refused to worship at his alter. Bronco cares about the past and present legacy of the program not necessarily individual athletes.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
S
snoscythe
Vai is closer to Kwhitt than Bronco and is still butt-hurt that Bronco beat out two of his buddies (Kwhitt and Reid) for the job at BYU, so he's taken every chance he has to ding Bronco without ever taking on BYU directly, but he's been slanting to the U ever since.
B
BroncoBot
snoscythe wrote:
Vai is closer to Kwhitt than Bronco and is still butt-hurt that Bronco beat out two of his buddies (Kwhitt and Reid) for the job at BYU, so he's taken every chance he has to ding Bronco without ever taking on BYU directly, but he's been slanting to the U ever since.


I agree that Vai is closer to Kwitt but why would he care that Bronco beat out Reid and Kwhitt, didn't those two turn down BYU's offers?



I'm convinced that Vai bleeds blue. Here at the philadelphia temple groundbreaking (day of BYU/Utah 2011) he was one of the speakers and talked about how he was a cougar and would be cheering for BYU (why go out of your way to do that at such an event if you're really turning into a utah fan). He just has a lot of ties to the utes right now and it makes for good rating when he gets fans all riled up.
E
EM_Puma
Ddawg wrote:

I saw him at BYU Educaton week on Thursday and I wondered if it would have been rude to have wandered up to him and asked him what the deal was lately. I figured he didn't know me, so he wouldn't answer me, so I didn't.


Hey - when you saw Vai at BYU Education week, you should have calmly walked up, and punched him violently in the throat. While he was laying on his back, gasping for breath, you lean over him and ask: "Hey, what's the deal lately?" :lol: :lol: ;)



Naw - just offer to buy the guy a pastry from the Cougar Eat and tell him your a huge fan. Kindness all the way.


Yeah, what was I thinking. I should have gotten him come Cougar tail. That would have made him all better.
S
snoscythe
BroncoBot wrote:
Vai is closer to Kwhitt than Bronco and is still butt-hurt that Bronco beat out two of his buddies (Kwhitt and Reid) for the job at BYU, so he's taken every chance he has to ding Bronco without ever taking on BYU directly, but he's been slanting to the U ever since.


I agree that Vai is closer to Kwitt but why would he care that Bronco beat out Reid and Kwhitt, didn't those two turn down BYU's offers?



I'm convinced that Vai bleeds blue. Here at the philadelphia temple groundbreaking (day of BYU/Utah 2011) he was one of the speakers and talked about how he was a cougar and would be cheering for BYU (why go out of your way to do that at such an event if you're really turning into a utah fan). He just has a lot of ties to the utes right now and it makes for good rating when he gets fans all riled up.


In Vai's view, BYU should have made harder runs at them instead of giving up so easily and going with the Bronco discount.



Don't get me wrong, I think Vai is a BYU fan, but with Bronco at the helm he might be finding it easier to pal around with the Utes he gets along with.
Page 1 of 3
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.