Archived Topic

Team Report Card

by scott715 · 8/16/2012

Advertisement
G
Guest
No, I don't agree with them. I can only go by what I saw with my own eyes, and my interpretation of the practice reports.



Offensive Line: B- They look trim and in better shape then I've ever seen them before, but there hasn't been a consistent line in practice. We saw good lanes open up for run blocking, but still some struggles with pass blocking/picking up the blitz.



Wide Receivers: C Haven't seen much of Hoffman or Apo in practice. Some young guys have really stepped up though. Kuresa is really turning some heads and Falslev is impressing as always.



Tight Ends: D- did these guys even show up to camp this year? They didn't look terrible, but they didn't look good either in the scrimmage. Still have to be classified as very disappointing.



Running Backs: B Coaches are keeping Alisa out of a lot of contact, but Foote, Williams, and Hine have all had moments to shine. There's a pleasant buzz about Pritchard too.



Quarter Backs: B+ Riley Nelson has looked fantastic now that he's actually been allowed to get adequate practice time in. He showed during the scrimmage that he can easily make 40+ yard tight passes and still has his wheels. Lark looked good when we could see him, but his numbers from unseen practices have been troubling. Hill also looked good, for a freshman, but still has a ways to go to actually be effective at this level. Olsen has shown he deserves to be on the team, which is more than can be said of Munns who has yet to show much.



Defensive line: C Just not consistent, but they've never really had the starters in where fans could see. The starters should be good, the backups need to get better fast, but seemingly have talent. Seemingly can only take you so far though.



Line Backers: A These guys have looked like beasts in practice and the scrimmage even down to 3rd stringers. Some of the inexperienced guys still need to show it on the field, but most of the 2 deep has earned the benefit of the doubt.



Defensive Back: B On paper these guys look great, and they've had several Lark interceptions, but until we see them play against other teams it's always that question mark as to who's to blame/credit for that. I'm excited to see what they do though in game situation.



Special Teams: C Major problems in the kicking game, some good looking things going on in the return game, they average out to a C.



Coaching: ? I don't feel like I can give a grade yet on the coaching for this season. We'll see.
M
mizzoucoug
Yay, preseason grades??? I'll play then.



C- Offensive Line: Until otherwise proven these guys suck at run-blocking every year.

B Wide Recievers: Too much hype. Look good but haven't done anything vs good teams.

F Tight Ends: Geez, even Daniel Coats is on these guys. 2 years of no production.

C+ Running Backs: Only because Alisa is somewhat proven does this get above a D

B Quarterbacks: Riley is the man, but we saw him play 1 legit team and it wasn't pretty.

B+ Defensive Line: I wish they could get in the backfield more often than they do.

A- Linebackers: Best unit on the team, but not great blitzers. Utah stoned them everytime

B Secondary: Sure, who really knows. Unit was good last year but names all changed now

C- Special Teams: Few endzone kickoffs and horribly unreliable FG kicking, ok punting

C Coaching: Not every game is the same and 4 opponents deserve special attention!
S
SpiffCoug
I've got more questions with OL than QB.
L
Lawboy
Only areas I have questions are Oline and TE. I think we know what we have in all other areas, based upon past performance.



Sadly, those 2 areas are pretty major for BYU offense.
Advertisement
C
Cougarbib
Lawboy wrote:
Only areas I have questions are Oline and TE. I think we know what we have in all other areas, based upon past performance.



Sadly, those 2 areas are pretty major for BYU offense.

I would add ? about FB, RB depth and QB depth on offense.



And Field Goal Kicking on Special Teams.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
Y
Y 4 Ever
Cougarbib wrote:
Only areas I have questions are Oline and TE. I think we know what we have in all other areas, based upon past performance.



Sadly, those 2 areas are pretty major for BYU offense.

I would add ? about FB, RB depth and QB depth on offense.



And Field Goal Kicking on Special Teams.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">

I agree. If (when?) riley goes down, what will happen? Is lark really the answer? We have never seen anything out of him to suggest that he can lead the team. And hill is a freshman - enough said. As long as riley stays healthy, hope is alive for that special season. But if he goes down for more than a game or two, then we had better start getting ready for next year.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
B
byutx
While it's fun for fans to post about, I find it completely absurd that a newspaper would grade the in-camp performance thus far. IMO the only grade you could give is incomplete, as the grading period hasn't even begun yet. It's almost as crazy as having pre-season rankings.



Then again, it was the Daily Herald, so I guess I shouldn't be that surprised.
B
BroncoBot
byutx wrote:
While it's fun for fans to post about, I find it completely absurd that a newspaper would grade the in-camp performance thus far. IMO the only grade you could give is incomplete, as the grading period hasn't even begun yet. It's almost as crazy as having pre-season rankings.



Then again, it was the Daily Herald, so I guess I shouldn't be that surprised.

Didn't know it was DH, glad I didn't add a "click" to their site.
G
golong
Sheesh, glad I never had to get a grade from you guys. Wonder if BYU will win a game this year. Wide receivers get a C-? running backs are awful?
Advertisement
B
BroncoBot
golong wrote:
Sheesh, glad I never had to get a grade from you guys. Wonder if BYU will win a game this year. Wide receivers get a C-? running backs are awful?

ha ha. I thought the same thing.



My favorite was hawk giving the wide receivers a "C" because Hoffman and Apo weren't around, but saying that the other receivers did a good job. So only Hoffman and Apo can deliver the goods this year???
G
Guest
BroncoBot wrote:
Sheesh, glad I never had to get a grade from you guys. Wonder if BYU will win a game this year. Wide receivers get a C-? running backs are awful?

ha ha. I thought the same thing.



My favorite was hawk giving the wide receivers a "C" because Hoffman and Apo weren't around, but saying that the other receivers did a good job. So only Hoffman and Apo can deliver the goods this year???

No, the point was they haven't been able to practice yet, one for disciplinary reasons which would be an 'F' but the other guys bring the average up. My grades were going off what I've seen and heard this fall camp only, not last season or potential.
B
BroncoBot
hawkwing wrote:
golong wrote:
Sheesh, glad I never had to get a grade from you guys. Wonder if BYU will win a game this year. Wide receivers get a C-? running backs are awful?

ha ha. I thought the same thing.



My favorite was hawk giving the wide receivers a "C" because Hoffman and Apo weren't around, but saying that the other receivers did a good job. So only Hoffman and Apo can deliver the goods this year???

No, the point was they haven't been able to practice yet, one for disciplinary reasons which would be an 'F' but the other guys bring the average up. My grades were going off what I've seen and heard this fall camp only, not last season or potential.

OK.



And my point was that the receiving corp has done a good enough job that RileY and the other QBs have looked rock solid through camp. I don't care who is getting touches, as long as someone is getting the job done. And it sounds like the receivers have been solid, even without our two 6+ footers. The receivers have been good enough that BYU's been able to plug about anyone into those positions with good results. I'd say the receivers deserve at the very least a A- for not being distracted and raising their games without the starters.
B
byucougar1
Assuming that the scores are based upon Fall scrimmage results and progress made from 1st to 2nd as well as including fact that many DL/LB/DB held out,



Current OL: (B+) Matthews, Hansen, Reynolds, Stringham, Brown;

The running game thrived with the holes that were provided. Also game Riley chance to throw.

QB: (B+) Riley scored 3/4 times; had PER of 171. Lark also led 2 scoring drives and had PER of 175.

RB: (B+) plug in player and get results: this week Hine, Foote, Lasike shined. Before it was Williams, Alisa and Pritchard.

WR: (B): Hoffman and Falslev are major forces, Apo is proven, backups need to be more consistent and dependable as they dropped balls: Houk, Collie, Thompson, Smith. Mitch Matthews is pushing for 4th WR.

TE: C - good stuff from Marcus Matthews, others (Wilson, Friel, Holt, Mahina) not as proven.

DL (B-) : Top 4 (Fuga, Dulan, Manumaleuna)are very good, but others Muehlman, Ansah, Remington Peck, Kafusi still unproven but talented.

LB (A): Heart and soul of defense and 9 players deep.

DB/Safety (B): Assuming nickle package: P. Hadley, JJohnson, D. Sorenson, J. Sampson and K. Bills are all very good. Talent level drops off in experience and proven talent after that but it appears that Hanneman, Bradley and Reiley are becoming quite good.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
G
Guest
BroncoBot wrote:
BroncoBot wrote:
Sheesh, glad I never had to get a grade from you guys. Wonder if BYU will win a game this year. Wide receivers get a C-? running backs are awful?

ha ha. I thought the same thing.



My favorite was hawk giving the wide receivers a "C" because Hoffman and Apo weren't around, but saying that the other receivers did a good job. So only Hoffman and Apo can deliver the goods this year???

No, the point was they haven't been able to practice yet, one for disciplinary reasons which would be an 'F' but the other guys bring the average up. My grades were going off what I've seen and heard this fall camp only, not last season or potential.

OK.



And my point was that the receiving corp has done a good enough job that RileY and the other QBs have looked rock solid through camp. I don't care who is getting touches, as long as someone is getting the job done. And it sounds like the receivers have been solid, even without our two 6+ footers. The receivers have been good enough that BYU's been able to plug about anyone into those positions with good results. I'd say the receivers deserve at the very least a A- for not being distracted and raising their games without the starters.

Excellent points, but the other receivers that are looking good are all under 6' so you have to deduct a full letter grade ;)
Advertisement
B
BroncoBot
hawkwing wrote:
hawkwing wrote:
golong wrote:
Sheesh, glad I never had to get a grade from you guys. Wonder if BYU will win a game this year. Wide receivers get a C-? running backs are awful?

ha ha. I thought the same thing.



My favorite was hawk giving the wide receivers a "C" because Hoffman and Apo weren't around, but saying that the other receivers did a good job. So only Hoffman and Apo can deliver the goods this year???

No, the point was they haven't been able to practice yet, one for disciplinary reasons which would be an 'F' but the other guys bring the average up. My grades were going off what I've seen and heard this fall camp only, not last season or potential.

OK.



And my point was that the receiving corp has done a good enough job that RileY and the other QBs have looked rock solid through camp. I don't care who is getting touches, as long as someone is getting the job done. And it sounds like the receivers have been solid, even without our two 6+ footers. The receivers have been good enough that BYU's been able to plug about anyone into those positions with good results. I'd say the receivers deserve at the very least a A- for not being distracted and raising their games without the starters.

Excellent points, but the other receivers that are looking good are all under 6' so you have to deduct a full letter grade ;)

:sulk: :lol:
M
Mars


Players get zero credit for last season, and zero credit for potential. So every player and position currently gets an F.



Earn your grade boys.
B
BroncoBot
Mars wrote:


Players get zero credit for last season, and zero credit for potential. So every player and position currently gets an F.



Earn your grade boys.

I like this... a lot.
S
SpiffCoug
Mars wrote:


Players get zero credit for last season, and zero credit for potential. So every player and position currently gets an INC.



Earn your grade boys.

Fixed your post. You can't give out grades right now. Everything is incomplete at this stage.



As in, we have incomplete data on which to base a grade.
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.