Archived Topic

This week's potential upsets...

by gmj81 · 11/12/2009

Advertisement
G
gmj81
Count on it

#24 South Florida @ Rutgers



It could happen

#14 Miami @ UNC

#25 West Virginia @ #5 Cincy

Stanford @ #9 USC

Notre Dame @ #12 Pitt



A longshot but still possible

#17 Arizona @ Cal

Michigan @ #20 Wisconsin

#1 Florida @ South Carolina ???
B
BoiseBYU
In the long shot but possible category Utah over TCU
F
Florwood
In the "sign of the apocalypse" upset category add BYU @ New Mexico
M
Mars
gmj81 wrote:
Stanford @ #9 USC
I think this could easily happen. Can't believe the line is USC by 10.



I also think that Notre Dame could take out Pitt. The Golden Domers seem to have a more D-stopping run than pass-stopping this year, which helps them here, and Pitt seems to be a run-stopping D more than a pass-stopping D, which hurts them here.
A
AmmonCougar1
gmj81 wrote:
Count on it

#24 South Florida @ Rutgers


Very nicely called gmj81! I'm impressed. I'll have to watch your picks more closely in the future! http://espn.go.com/ncf/boxscore?gameId=293160164





Go Cougs!!!

J. Child

Ammon, ID
Advertisement
S
scott715
Rutgers killed S Florida.
G
gmj81
That's one down. Now, with a little more help and a nice thrashing of UNM, the Cougs could be in the top 15-17 by Sunday heading into the final home stretch against two teams that will definitely boost our SOS. Not that any of this matters any more as BYU's chances at a BCS bowl are absolutely zero, even if Boise were to drop one. But finishing the year with three MWC teams in the top 20 again would be a big start to the offseason moves to qualify for a auto-bid at the end of this evaluation period.



If the pukes play TCU and BYU close (but assuming losses of course), then pound on some bowl opponent, they could still finish top 15 IMO with their only losses to highly ranked TCU, Oregon, and BYU. There's really no way AFA is going to sneak in this year... Man I wish they could have pulled off those wins against Minny and Navy. That would have given the conference a serious boost.
S
Schmoe
I dunno, I wonder how bad UNM's record will hurt us in the computer polls, didn't :utard: drop two spots after beating up on them last week? That said, if we post big numbers and shut them out, I think the humans give us a little love for doing it twice in a row, even if it is against Little Green Men U.
G
gmj81
Mars wrote:
Stanford @ #9 USC
I think this could easily happen. Can't believe the line is USC by 10.



I also think that Notre Dame could take out Pitt. The Golden Domers seem to have a more D-stopping run than pass-stopping this year, which helps them here, and Pitt seems to be a run-stopping D more than a pass-stopping D, which hurts them here.


Yeah, USC seems to have fallen on hard times of late. They really have not been impressive in their wins and have looked pretty bad in their losses. I really like Stanford to win this one. But the close call for SC last week might just be enough to re-wake the sleeping giant. I actually wonder which hurts BYU recruiting worse: a strong USC or a strong Stanford. We go head to head against each for a number of recruits each year.



As for Notre Dame, I have been continually rooting for them to lose this year so that Charlie gets canned. But all this time I don't know what I've been thinking. As long as he's running the show, they'll drop one or two games a year they should have won and lose all the ones they were supposed to too. We don't have to worry about them taking a BCS bowl bid as long as he's still waddling the sideline in South Bend. I hope he does just enough to keep the ND brass in dilemma about whether to flush their huge investment down the drain only to start over again.



I also think this Pitt team can knock off Cincy but lose at West Virginia which would weaken the Big East overall.
I
imuakahuku
I think Cal beating AZ is in the "it could happen" category.
Advertisement
M
Mingjai
Go Vandals! Is this the year Idaho finally beats Boise State?



It's definitely the biggest game between Idaho and Boise State since the rivalry's turning point #1 versus #2 matchup in 1994.
M
Mars
gmj81 wrote:
If the pukes play TCU and BYU close (but assuming losses of course), then pound on some bowl opponent, they could still finish top 15 IMO with their only losses to highly ranked TCU, Oregon, and BYU.

A- If Utah ended the season with losses to TCU and BYU, I don't think they would be ranked in the Top 25 at all pre-bowls, due to all of their close, unimpressive games against lesser opponents.



B- The BCS doesn't count post-bowl rankings. According to them, Oklahoma was better than Florida last year.
M
Mars
Mingjai wrote:
Go Vandals! Is this the year Idaho finally beats Boise State?

No. I don't think they stay within 2 TDs. Do you?
A
ABYUFAN
Mars wrote:
Go Vandals! Is this the year Idaho finally beats Boise State?

No. I don't think they stay within 2 TDs. Do you?


I don't see them staying within 2 TD per half...
G
gmj81
imuakahuku wrote:
I think Cal beating AZ is in the "it could happen" category.


I considered that as an "it could happen" game at first and then I remembered Jahvid Best won't be playing. Without him, I think it's all but a certainty that Cal goes down. But we'll see.
Advertisement
M
Mingjai
ABYUFAN wrote:
Mingjai wrote:
Go Vandals! Is this the year Idaho finally beats Boise State?

No. I don't think they stay within 2 TDs. Do you?


I don't see them staying within 2 TD per half...


I would have said the same thing about La Tech last week, but they made it interesting.
S
Schmoe
Let's be honest, a lot of BSU's games this year have been closer than they should have been for a top ten team. Idaho is probably fielding the best team they've ever had (which still isn't saying THAT much). If the Vandals ever had a shot at beating a top ten team, this will be it. I think BSU wins by a couple scores, but those boys from Moscow could surprise ya.
A
ABYUFAN
Schmoe wrote:
Let's be honest, a lot of BSU's games this year have been closer than they should have been for a top ten team. Idaho is probably fielding the best team they've ever had (which still isn't saying THAT much). If the Vandals ever had a shot at beating a top ten team, this will be it. I think BSU wins by a couple scores, but those boys from Moscow could surprise ya.


You know.... I'm thinking that some of Idaho's Big Sky teams could have beaten this team (at least the team that played Fresno State)
B
BoiseBYU
Schmoe wrote:
Let's be honest, a lot of BSU's games this year have been closer than they should have been for a top ten team. Idaho is probably fielding the best team they've ever had (which still isn't saying THAT much). If the Vandals ever had a shot at beating a top ten team, this will be it. I think BSU wins by a couple scores, but those boys from Moscow could surprise ya.

Let's be really honest: If BSU does not beat the Vandals by at least 30, it will be a moral victory for Idaho...this is a team that gave up something like 500 yards rushing to Nevada, that gave up 300 yards in ONE HALF against La Tech at home...BSU should destroy them
S
Schmoe
BoiseBYU wrote:
Let's be honest, a lot of BSU's games this year have been closer than they should have been for a top ten team. Idaho is probably fielding the best team they've ever had (which still isn't saying THAT much). If the Vandals ever had a shot at beating a top ten team, this will be it. I think BSU wins by a couple scores, but those boys from Moscow could surprise ya.

Let's be really honest: If BSU does not beat the Vandals by at least 30, it will be a moral victory for Idaho...this is a team that gave up something like 500 yards rushing to Nevada, that gave up 300 yards in ONE HALF against La Tech at home...BSU should destroy them


That word "should" is a funny one, though. BSU shouldn't have given up a bazillion rush yards to Fresno, they should have beat Tulsa by a landslide, they should have had a much better showing vs UC Davis, and they should have played much better vs La Tech. BSU has been impressive at times during the year, but at many other times they have been very underwhelming. We'll see what happens come Saturday.
Page 1 of 2
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.